• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very first tank (planted, low tech)

Hi. I'm new here.
Sorry to hear about the problems. I hate it when this happens. 😕

Diagnosing remotely can be challenging, but based on your pictures, here are a few thoughts that might help:

1. Translucency at Night: If you took pictures of neons at night, they often appear translucent and colorless. My cardinals do the same. Are they back to their usual color in daylight?
  2. Possible Ich: The spots might be ich, but it's hard to tell for sure. Ich can be secondary to another issue like a bacterial infection.
  3. Mulm Layer: The layer of mulm in your tank could be problematic. Corys, neons, and other bottom-dwelling fish come into contact with it, potentially picking up harmful bacteria. In Corys, this can lead to fin and barbel issues. Do you notice similar behavior in your fish?
  4. Behavioral Observation: Observing fish behavior can provide clues. My rasboras stay mid to top range, while cardinals and Mollys are often at the bottom. Do your fish show similar behavior?
  5. Environment Check: It's crucial to determine if the environment is causing primary issues leading to secondary problems like ich and fin degradation. Otherwise, you might end up treating symptoms without resolving the root cause.

Suggested Solutions:​

• Water Quality: Perform regular water changes and vacuum the substrate to reduce mulm buildup.
  • Tank Maintenance: Ensure the filter is clean and functioning properly.
  • Medication: If you suspect ich, consider treating the tank with an appropriate ich medication.
  • Quarantine: If possible, quarantine affected fish to prevent the spread of infection.
These points might not be solutions in themselves, but they can guide you and the community in determining the next steps.

Sorry for the long post.

That does look a bit like ich, I would treat with esha exit, it worked for me to remove ich and didn’t seem to upset any other fish in the process. I might also treat with esha2000 too in case the ich is caused by stress from other illness.

To be honest when you get a big school of fish there’s always a few that are a bit dodgy and don’t do well. Interesting that the tetras are quite nippy, I wonder if you could do with a bigger school to get the hierarchy amongst them a bit more balanced (once treated for ich). Same with pygmy cories - a large number helps to avoid them being singled out and calms them down as they’re used to big numbers. I know you want the whole a few fish in a big tank thing, but the bioload on these fish is tiny and I’ve found they do much better in bigger groups.

The other thing I’d do is to vacuum out all the existing mulm and then start again with a new layer of fresh dried leaves that will degrade over time. You can build up a good thick layer of leaves over a few weeks with a handful added every few days. I find this kind of leaf litter mulm much less problematic than new tank mulm, and it’s better structural habitat too, providing lots of hiding places for little cories. You can just add dried leaves to the top of the tank and wait for them to saturate and sink.

Thanks @shangman ! This is leaf mulm not new tank mulm, but I'll vacuum if this will help. I'm reluctant to add any more fish whilst I'm dialling in what I'm doing, but hopefully I can get the tank all balanced and up numbers. Having read more thoroughly I think tetras can be quite nippy, I'm hoping the key will be denser planting for now and maybe a bigger shoal of Corys and tetra later.

Hi all,
I will monitor today, although unsure if I can do anything.
Possibly not, if you are sure it is White Spot (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) you can medicate, @PARAGUAY's suggestion would be mine as well.
Life is difficult for smaller fish.
Certainly is, I'm not sure there any fish that are really peaceful.

Do you still have some structural (big) leaf litter? If you do pop it in the tank, it will add tannins, and also allow the fish to hide under it.
There is some evaporation so I do top the tank off too. Wondering if the evaporation is part of the issue? @dw1305 did say this could effect water quality.
Perform regular water changes
Not exactly water quality, but it will cause the conductivity (TDS) to rise. Basically pure H2O evaporates and the resulting smaller volume of water is "saltier".

You can get DI water from Sainsburys etc for top-up, but your rain water should be fine, I'd agree with the others just change some water, rather than just topping up what has evaporated.
Mulm Layer: The layer of mulm in your tank could be problematic. Corys, neons, and other bottom-dwelling fish come into contact with it, potentially picking up harmful bacteria. In Corys, this can lead to fin and barbel issues. Do you notice similar behavior in your fish?
This honestly isn't an issue, it is to do with the <"low hanging fruits"> argument.

Bristol Pleco god, the sadly missed Bob Marklew, <"kept tanks with some mulm"> and he is by far the best fish keeper I've ever met.
Another part of me thinks that not thoroughly cleaning any filtration at the moment might be a good option. i.e. trying to keep any beneficial bacteria where it is. Water changes fine, thorough cleaning of filter media should be avoided.
You are in good company, there is also this, from Dr Stephan Tanner, somebody I've never met, but I have a lot of respect for <"Aquarium Biofiltration - SWISSTROPICALS">.

cheers D(ad)arrel

Last edited:
Thanks d(ad)arrel 🙂))

I do have some big magnolia leaves in there, have been topping up frequently so it's pretty tannin-y. Ive bought some Esha exit and Esha 2000, so will keep seeing how things go and treat with that.
I'm using tap water with conditioner, but I can swap to rainwater from my neighbours water butts - just involves slogging it up the road and then 6 flights of stairs! Probably not a very long term solution 😂

A POSITIVE UPDATE !

I went a bit overboard with plants and added 31 yesterday, with more arriving today 😅

This will almost certainly double the aquatic growth (not including mosses) and I'm so happy I did it! The fish seem a lot calmer and have many more hiding places.

It's difficult to get pictures with the reflections, but here are some attempts:
1000028291.jpg
PXL_20240705_114303879.MP~3.jpg

1000028295.jpg

1000028286.jpg

Im not 100% sure what all of the plants are, but I definitely added:

K2 AQUATICS
Sagittaria subulata
Echinodorus bleheri
Bolbitis heudelotii
Hygrophila corymbosa

And I think I added:
ASHBY PETS AND AQUATICS
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Bacopa Caroliniana
Limnophilia sessiflora
Ludwigia peruensis
Lysimachia nummulara

I've used K2 aquatics before and know they're very good, but Ashby pets and aquatics is a new one for me - I bought their 25 plant bundle (£12 plus postage) so I'm not completely sure what is what, but this is my best guess.

A lot of these plants do grow quite large, however Im hoping I can keep on top of maintenance and donate cuttings to anyone who fancies.

I've also ordered a 15 plant bundle from a different eBay seller who has kindly added 6-10 extra plants, so there will almost definitely be a surplus 😂 it was a moment of cart happy madness!

I've also added more botanicals, which are currently floating up top. Thinking the tannins are definitely helping.

I've performed 3 water changes in 3 days and have noticed that the tetras no longer have white spots on them (woo!). There are some faint marks where the spots were, but no 'grain of salt'-like lumps. I am going to keep monitoring them as i think one might have slightly red gills. I've ordered some Esha exit and Esha 2000 which I'm now not sure whether to use. The lethargic cory has perked up a lot but is still quite finless, so Im wondering whether to treat with Esha 2000 for fin rot and hold off on the exit treatment for now?

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks all for the well wishes, advice and support 🙂

Attachments

• 1000028285.jpg
    1000028285.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
I've performed 3 water changes in 3 days and have noticed that the tetras no longer have white spots on them (woo!). There are some faint marks where the spots were, but no 'grain of salt'-like lumps. I am going to keep monitoring them as i think one might have slightly red gills. I've ordered some Esha exit and Esha 2000 which I'm now not sure whether to use. The lethargic cory has perked up a lot but is still quite finless, so Im wondering whether to treat with Esha 2000 for fin rot and hold off on the exit treatment for now?
What a way to start a weekend! This is great news!!!

Now, if it were me, and seeing that you are observing natural recovery then I would hold off on the medication and observe for a day or two - especially in terms of any ich treatment. If progress stops, then take a view at that point.

In terms of the Cory, if there is not an infection then they should start to grow back. What your episode is telling me is that the tank is healthy enough to address issues and let the fish concentrate on fighting off the nasty stuff. However, it may be a case that there is a bacterial infection and the Cory could benefit from a dosing.

Brill, thanks @Bradders 🙂) I'll keep up the water changes and add more plants when they arrive (quickly realising that this is the solution to everything). I feel like a proud mum, I'm really glad they seem to be bouncing back 🙂

I feel like a proud mum, I'm really glad they seem to be bouncing back 🙂
Yep, you should indeed be proud! If your tank was/remained unhealthy then they definitely would not bounce back like that. And it always great to see self-recovery.

A positive update!

only 2 tetra have 1 visible white mark each this morning. Everyone seems pretty happy, although I'm wondering how long I should monitor the fin growth of the corys before I treat for fin rot - any advice welcome.

I think the Corys are also displaying breeding behaviour! 2 of the smaller Corys are following the large female closely and are touching her side with their faces, swimming all up and down the tank together. I've had a look at some videos of breeding behaviour and I think they're attempting to T pose with her 🙂

When I've got all the potential ich/fin rot things sorted I will definitely get some more Corys, excited to see if I get any fry. Although if they make it to adulthood with the neon green piranhas it will be a miracle! I did buy a mesh breeder box just in case i needed to separate out the fish, so I might be able to fill that with leaf litter and moss for any eggs/fry that I do find.
Thanks again for all your advice and help 🙂

I don't know the growth rates of fins, but I did a little research, and it's a mixed bag - certainly, months seem to be quoted more than weeks.

If you can, please send another picture of Cory so someone with first-hand experience can reply. However, if their behaviour is back to normal then that is a good sign. Jut need someone to offer some help on whether it looks like fin rot or not!

Back