• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Very first tank (planted, low tech)

Hello lovely people! Very happy to be back on UKAPS with you wonderful folk.

A PLANT UPDATE:
The tank is doing very well with good growth everywhere. There's a few yellowing leaves from the emergent plants, but I think this is due to submersion rather than an iron issue. I have noticed some holes in aquatic leaves - I have a huge (and unchecked) snail population that I'm not quite sure what to do with. It's all the new plants I've added, which would make sense as they were most likely grown emergent. For example, the corymbosa has been dropping a few leaves/they are being removed and floating to the surface - I'm noticing floating portions of leaves that appear to have been chewed/cut off.

PXL_20240826_120925837.MP.jpg
PXL_20240826_121019243.MP.jpg
1000030860.jpg
I've removed the big papyrus (as it was getting a bit ridiculous!) and am thinking about adding some small monstera Dubia cuttings to the back wall to grow out. The creeping fig is doing really well and I would love to expand on this look. My partner has also (fairly) taken offense to the dripping aspect of the drip wall, so something to cover the non mossy patches would be ideal.

A PEST UPDATE:
Any idea 1.) if I need to reduce the snail population, and 2.) how to do that?
Also, if anyone has any recommendations for planaria traps (DIY preferable) that would be fab.

A FISH HEALTH UPDATE:
since altering the filtration and tannin levels etc, everyone is doing really well! dad and I are pretty sure the ick entered the fishtank with fish from the store. My brother is returning my old nano cube so I will set that up as a quarantine tank for future purchases to avoid this happening again.

One of the cories (I've taken to calling him raggedy man) is still looking pretty worse for wear. His condition hasn't worsened, but his tail is not regrowing and he still has a white patina on the right side of his head/mouth. I also think his eye might be slightly swollen, but it's honestly difficult to tell due to the patina. I've tried to upload some decent pictures for evidence.
1000030854.jpg

1000030844.jpg

1000030831.jpg
1000030845.jpg
(He is feeding in the first photo which is why he looks to be in a funny position). Any advice on how to treat him? All of the other fish in the tank are doing very well, regrowing fin loss etc. The raggedy man is still swimming, eating and doing all of the Cory things, but his swimming is definitely hampered by his tail and his body has a slightly curved appearance when swimming. I'm wondering whether to try treating with medication again, or whether to increase tannins and live food to see if that helps? Water parameters are all good (unchanged since previous posts) and the temp is at 22°c. As soon as I get the quarantine tank properly up and running I would like to get some more Corys, partly because I think they might be my favourite fish, but also in case this dilutes any bullying behaviour.

A FOOD UPDATE:
I don't know quite what I'm doing wrong, but I seem to be terrible with both grindal and micro worms. Any advice on raising strong cultures in the early days is welcome! I'm currently attempting to culture daphnea from my neighbours pond, as I at least have a renewable resource of these to support the culture.

Thanks all for your support and advice, so happy to be back 🙂

Attachments

• PXL_20240826_120906074.jpg
    PXL_20240826_120906074.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 1000030852.jpg
    1000030852.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Back