• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Video! (page 15)

Aww guys, you're making me blush.

Ghost, there's a chance I might need to tear this down and move it next year, in which case I'll probably end up rescaping it and that enormous echinodorous will be looking for a home...

Last edited:
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Video! (page 15)

Danger!

The triffid is now sending out flower stalks, it's going to take over the room...

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9454/7oZTPD.jpg

Anyone want to place a bet on how long it gets? Currently about 4 feet -

jtG900.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Attack of the triffid (page 17)

Wow. I got one of those, but the leaves are weighted down on the water, I do not have much room above water for them, and they reached about 3 feet.. but 4 feet? Damm dude, those are monsters.. :)

Hehe. The leaves seem to have topped out at about 4'4" tall, although each new one is still an inch or two taller than the previous one. Considering that when I planted it the tallest leaf was about 10" I'm quite impressed!

Whilst I think about it, is having it flower while I'm away anything to worry about for the health of the rest of the plant? Not particulalry worried about propagating anything, but wondered if it might start overly investing in reproduction to the detriment of growing/maintaning leaves?

Kind of wish I'd gone to some plant biology lectures sometimes.

EDIT - cheers Mike!

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Looking at the size of the buds it still has a way to go, I reckon 6' is likely and 8' a possibility.
cheers Darrel

Wow, that would be a tree.. :)

I noticed that the leaves go slightly brown on the edges, but the plant remains healthy, this is normal right?

Well done on such amazing specimen. :)

Oh wow, this is so inspirational, I'd never had thought of even trying something like this. I have a 45Ltr square tank (can't remember the make, free gift with PFK) that's been sat in my kitchen for weeks as I have no-where to set it up with the lid / light attached and the only possible space is in my bedroom in direct sunlight. Also really not sure I can be bothered with cycling and setting up a 4th "fish" tank. Now seriously considering going for this sort of look instead.

Well, the final set of buds have just come out, stalk is an inch shy of 6'. Not a bad guess there Darrel :p

Anyone know if I can get the stalk to produce new plants? Force it underwater maybe?

Yikes.

Well I've figured out why the Paros haven't successfully raised any fry.

Turns out my tap water, which I'd always assumed was basically neutral is in fact about pH 8.4, and the tank water 7.5. I could probably get it down to 6.5 in the tank with regular water changes (which is what it drops to in the nano), but as these aren't an option when I'm away I reckon I'm going to have to try and figure out a way of unobtrusively installing an RO system in my flat.

Probably only going to need about 30 litres a week, but don't want to do anything major to the plumbing, or have something that's going to annoy the flatmates whilst running. Any suggestions?

Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - RO advice needed please

BigTom said:
Sadly not George, in a second floor flat and there's not tap in the shared garden.
The usual method for RO connection is to use a self-cutting/sealing connector that fits from the RO unit onto the mains pipe, but it sounds like this isn't an option in a shared occupancy.

It's a pain in the butt (excuse the pun) but you could consider buying RO from your LFS? I think the going rate is around £3 per 25 litres.

Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - RO advice needed please

Yeah that is a possibility, one of my LFS has a marine section so presumably also sell RO. Pain int he blahblahblahblah ot get there though, no wheels and not on a bus route. Might be the best option though.

Back