• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Algae/BBA - An Update

I doubt it, but some folks only have one aquarium and are not in a position to experiment as such. We make changes when stuff appears not to work, and observe the results of those changes, learning as we go along.
That's very true. In my own case I do have two very similar (almost identical) tanks and have had very similar positive and negative experiences along the way... Solutions to problems (such as BBA, GSA and plant health issues) that worked in one tank worked just as well in the other tank... So I consider my experiences a little bit more than just anecdotal, but by no means scientific which is a completely different and very rigid ballgame when it comes to establishing the facts of the matter... However the process leading there to the facts, is much more obscure and we have to be careful we don't dismiss discussions or musings about topics just because we don't have all the scientific facts at hand... that would make up for a really boring conversion where very little progress can be made anyway... and also, scientist, at least the ones I work with in R&D, spend heaps of time questioning established facts (within reason), asking questions and rambling about new ideas, solutions etc. most are dead ends, but then all of a sudden Bing! 💡there is something new to try out, a new intuition or perspective to pursue ... It's a messy process, often very much akin to throwing sh*t on the wall and see what sticks :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Not at all We (me and you) are prepared to test our theories. Discussing without testing is in my opinion a waste of time.
Hi @John q

Ah, we're both on the same wavelength! Phew! I was starting to feel a bit lonely. I can breathe again. :nailbiting:

To be fair, there are other UKAPS members who also run interesting experiments. The first name that comes to mind is @X3NiTH who is trying to grow the tallest/longest Vallis! :lol:

Just to be clear on this. I'm not suggesting that we need to turn everyone into mad scientists like me. Good grief, no!

JPC

Hi Everyone,

The following paper deals with a range of environmental variables and the effect they have on Rhodophyta (Red Algae). I hope people find it useful:

JPC

Is that a 100 ppm of NO3 written there?

It is indeed, not sure of the accuracy though as I used a JBL dip strip for testing and these always report back more than there actually is (it read in excess so I ballparked the figure according to calibration testing I’ve done on these strips in the past, they usually over read by about 100%), there may be interference though from the possible excess metals in the water, GH and KH are both reading 2 points higher than original hardness, the extra hardness may have arisen due to the break down of plant material.

I dont even dose Cobalt :) How much of that would/shouldwe dose under "non-limited" conditions, if I may ask?

Very low, probably about the same amount you would dose Nickel, at least that’s what I would target.

Is this experiment the result of a discussion you and I had some time ago? Was it three years ago? Oh, how time flies when you're enjoying yourself!

Great to see those Vallisneria.

Yes indeed it is, one year of regular-ish water changes then two years of complete maintenance neglect. Never stopped dosing ferts. I have no idea of the metallicity of the water content, I need accurate ICP testing (or MP-AES ;) ) to determine what’s actually there, I can calculate everything that went in over three years (minus the few weeks where ferts ran out), I really want to see how the elements have equilibriated themselves in the water column, is it stupid numbers or sensible figures, no idea?

Cobalt limitation means fauna should struggle to produce Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), there’s no fish so no waste from fish food to consider, any waste in the tank is plant derived.

I should add that all chelates in use are biodegradable (Humic, Fulvic, Ascorbic, Gluconate and DTPA) there is and has been no EDTA used in the tank.

:)

Hi @X3NiTH

Interesting stuff.

I recently discovered a water test lab group known as H2Olabcheck and, for the last three or four weeks, I've been planning to submit a water sample to them. They have a very good range of water parameters that they can test. Although there are some off-the-shelf aquarium water tests, I would probably choose the 'Create your own' option. You may find the following interesting:

You will note that Cobalt is included in the list.

JPC

Hi @X3NiTH

Interesting stuff.

I recently discovered a water test lab group known as H2Olabcheck and, for the last three or four weeks, I've been planning to submit a water sample to them. They have a very good range of water parameters that they can test. Although there are some off-the-shelf aquarium water tests, I would probably choose the 'Create your own' option. You may find the following interesting:

You will note that Cobalt is included in the list.

JPC
Interesting. Have you seen that they offer to test the temperature of a water sample that you’ve posted to them for about £3? Given that it won’t be at the original temperature, I wonder what value they think that analysis will offer?

Interesting. Have you seen that they offer to test the temperature of a water sample that you’ve posted to them for about £3? Given that it won’t be at the original temperature, I wonder what value they think that analysis will offer?
Hi @hypnogogia

I hadn't spotted that. Perhaps it was written on April 1 one year? You could always contact them and ask the question.

JPC

I recently discovered a water test lab group known as H2Olabcheck and, for the last three or four weeks, I've been planning to submit a water sample to them. They have a very good range of water parameters that they can test. Although there are some off-the-shelf aquarium water tests, I would probably choose the 'Create your own' option.

Yeah hmm but the price! Think I broke an ankle falling out my chair!

CB1DB274-8889-4CA9-8A2C-3C59D24408FD.jpeg

For that price I’d want to know the chirality of the water, is it Left handed or Right handed?

:)

Hi all,

It would allow you to standardise any electrical conductivity or dissolved gas readings, because these are two values that vary with temperature.

cheers Darrel
True, but given it varies with temp, would it be good practice to quote the temperature when measuring conductivity instead of asking the client to pay extra?

Well, it gives them the £3...

I know lab tests are expensive, but this is a bit overboard...
1644440143927.png

The return policy is also... interesting.
1644440375166.png

Yeah hmm but the price! Think I broke an ankle falling out my chair!
Hi @X3NiTH

Out of interest, have you compared this lab with others? I had previously done this for the parameters in which I was interested and came to the conclusion that H2Olabcheck were no more expensive than other labs. You do have 17 water parameters on your list. So, at around £15 per parameter, that seems about right to me. If @dw1305 can persuade the powers that be at Bath Spa, they could be onto a good thing!

JPC

Back