• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator

Hi all,
The ASG fertilizer kit seems to be missing out on the magnesium then?
Yes. They are aiming at the USA market, where a lot of tap water is both hard and rich in both calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). This isn't true of the water in the UK (soft or hard), which doesn't normally contain <"much magnesium">.
How does this fertilizer claim to be the better than the rest?
There are <"lies, damn lies...."> and the <"advertising blurb"> of <"Aquarium fertiliser"> companies. The ASG video isn't terrible, it is a mixture of the good, the bad and the ugly really.
To be clear, potassium is not a substitute for magnesium. As @MrClockOff has said, there’s little magnesium in uk water. As you’re using RO, you need to add all 14 required ions for your plants to grow. That includes magnesium and potassium.
That one.
I know I'm confused but I found this decision, please see attached
"All in one" fertiliser mixes don't normally include calcium (Ca), mainly because it forms a <"lot of insoluble compounds">. Unscrupulous vendors will try and tell you (and sell you) a separate remineralising mix that <"isn't a fertiliser">, but the calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) you add with calcium chloride (CaCl2.nH20) and magnesium sulphate (MgSO4.7H2O) are both. have a look at @Happi's <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

In the UK, if you have hard tap water, you can add calcium and carbonate hardness (dKH) <"via your tap water"> in a ratio of 1 dGH : 1 dKH. Magnesium you can add via <"Epsom Salts"> (~ 10% Mg).

If you want to <"add dGH, but not dKH">, you can use calcium chloride or calcium sulphate (CaSO4.2H20), although calcium sulphate has very limited solubility.

cheers Darrel

This mix is substituting magnesium sulphate for potassium sulphate in the NPK mix
Magnesium cannot be replaced by potassium, both elements are needed by plants. we often add Magnesium in dry form during GH boosting.
ASG is saying using the extra potassium is very beneficial and makes this fertilizer unique.
that is another trick to convince you to buy that product. if true, you can simply do this by any salt that contain Potassium. to be honest with you, that extra K2SO4 they add is totally unnecessary.
A lot of UK fertilizer recipes use the standard
Macro Solution?
4tsp Potassium Nitrate
1tsp Potassium Phosphate
6tsp Magnesium Sulphate
( I get contains no potassium)
Why aren't UK Ferts recipes using potassium sulphate if it's so good?
Just trying to understand the reasoning
Just thinking of trying it out
If US can't get hold of magnesium sulphate
Why aren't we switching to potassium sulphate instead if that is so much better as an alternative in the recipe?
it depends on each company, but most fertilizer companies follow certain methods/approach when selling their products, this such company may focus on EI, PPS etc. to base their Products/Salts. Potassium Sulfate itself isn't anything specials, for example (click here): I often use it, depending on which set of fertilizer I use. if I want to avoid too much sulfur in my water, I skip K2SO4 and switch to KCL, KNO3, KHCO3 etc, if I want to avoid Chloride, CO3 etc., I then switch to KNO3. while they all provide Potassium, but it truly depends on my goals and reasoning why I choose one or the other. most commonly I use K2SO4 when I want to base my Nitrogen Fertilizer that is free from NO3 and focuses on Ammonium based nitrogen.
Magnesium is usually added during GH boosting especially those who use RO water. it is wise the add Calcium and Magnesium during this process and just focus on dosing the NPK, Micro/Fe through solutions. since UK tap water may be low or lacking Magnesium, it is wise to add it in dry form during water changes. I hope this all make sense?

1725542411309.png

They are using highly convincing strategies to make people buy this product. first of all "Science-Backed Formula" is a false statement to begin with.

their kit Include the following:

Micros:
CSM+B

Macros:
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4

so there is nothing special about this kit, I consider CSM+B to be interior product. you can find most of these chemicals somewhere else at cheaper price which will last you forever, Darrel has shared the link with you and most UK members are switching or looking into "Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination" or TNC Complete Recipe
if you go through the link, you may find some recipes that include DTPA Fe for those with harder water, something you will not find in CSM+B.

Magnesium cannot be replaced by potassium, both elements are needed by plants. we often add Magnesium in dry form during GH boosting.

that is another trick to convince you to buy that product. if true, you can simply do this by any salt that contain Potassium. to be honest with you, that extra K2SO4 they add is totally unnecessary.

it depends on each company, but most fertilizer companies follow certain methods/approach when selling their products, this such company may focus on EI, PPS etc. to base their Products/Salts. Potassium Sulfate itself isn't anything specials, for example (click here): I often use it, depending on which set of fertilizer I use. if I want to avoid too much sulfur in my water, I skip K2SO4 and switch to KCL, KNO3, KHCO3 etc, if I want to avoid Chloride, CO3 etc., I then switch to KNO3. while they all provide Potassium, but it truly depends on my goals and reasoning why I choose one or the other. most commonly I use K2SO4 when I want to base my Nitrogen Fertilizer that is free from NO3 and focuses on Ammonium based nitrogen.
Magnesium is usually added during GH boosting especially those who use RO water. it is wise the add Calcium and Magnesium during this process and just focus on dosing the NPK, Micro/Fe through solutions. since UK tap water may be low or lacking Magnesium, it is wise to add it in dry form during water changes. I hope this all make sense?

View attachment 222111

They are using highly convincing strategies to make people buy this product. first of all "Science-Backed Formula" is a false statement to begin with.

their kit Include the following:

Micros:
CSM+B

Macros:
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4

so there is nothing special about this kit, I consider CSM+B to be interior product. you can find most of these chemicals somewhere else at cheaper price which will last you forever, Darrel has shared the link with you and most UK members are switching or looking into "Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination" or TNC Complete Recipe
if you go through the link, you may find some recipes that include DTPA Fe for those with harder water, something you will not find in CSM+B.
I'm using solufeeds sodium free TEC for my trace mix already.
Wow, I'm doing something right!
My only concern is if I need to be worried about the copper content with my shrimp?

No need to change my NPK mix then?
magnesium sulphate mgso4 6tsp
potassium nitrate KNO3 4tsp
potassium phosphate kh2po4 2tsp
Do I add any K2SO4 potassium sulphate or anything else? if so what do you recommend and what ratio?.....or is everyone's mix a closely regarded top secret?🫣🤫

I'm currently reminiscing my 50%water change with Seachem Equilibrium ( I have a lot of rocks so KH is okay) will use the calculator to clone💪👍

Thanks for enlightenment, it's starting to be less foggy😁
Thankyou all!
Best regards
Neil

I'm currently reminiscing my 50%water change with Seachem Equilibrium ( I have a lot of rocks so KH is okay) will use the calculator to clone
AFAIK Seachem Equilibrium contains a lot of potassium, so you’re probably overdosing that. Your plan to use your own salts to remineralise is a good idea. You can use magnesium sulphate and calcium sulphate for GH, and a little bit of potassium carbonate for KH. Alternatively, you can just add a splash of tap water.

How many of you use Excel? I ask as I haven’t used it since I left work, don’t have it on my Mac and don’t know many that use it. Apart from one, they all use one of the Open Office packages. Does this calculator work with OO?

Hi all,
Apart from one, they all use one of the Open Office packages
I can send you a <"basic spreadsheet"> that should work in Open Office.

It just links to the periodic table (in the first sheet), The advantage is that you can use it for any chemical compound, the disadvantage is that there is a little more "legwork" involved.

For most compounds of interest the <"Rotala (butterfly) nutrient calculator"> should work, it is a halfway house between DIY and the all singing, all dancing IFC sheet.
@Zeus. and @Hanuman have taken all the fun out of this, by providing a spreadsheet that provides all the answers at the click of the button. They have removed all the mystery and totally deskilled potion making, it is an absolute disgrace and they should be very pleased with themselves.
"Four and half billion years in the making, based on star-dust, endorsed by Gods and brought to you straight from Mount Olympus......."

The IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator
cheers Darrel

Back