• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator

Like Hanni said a DIY one. If I was Using RO water I would aim for a gH of 3 to 4 with Ca:Mg ratio of 3:1 and a kH of 1. The salts I would use would depend on what I already had or could get easy/cheap. Plus I would take into account my Macros as I would probably front load them at the same time

1000031700.png

EI full
324lr
Co2
Bright lights
Just making sure I've got this correct?
The idea is to get grand total percentage line to 100% and to go go green? Bottom right

Any help would be great? I've managed to plug in the compounds I thinking of using....are they good?

Why do some ferts use magnesium
sulphate mgso4 instead of K2SO4 potassium sulphate

Since you are using the TargetCalculator the idea is to target the concentration of each element of the fertilizer you are either cloning to designing which means the grand total percentage section should appear green and at 100%.
For your information, I would suggest you do not include the Calcium Chloride within your fertilizer container. Calcium is usually meant as a reminerralizer and should be dosed weekly after water changes.

As to your question about MgSO4 and KSO4 not sure I understand. These are two different compounds which are not interchangeable. One provides Mg the other K. SO4 (Sulphate) is not what is of interest here.

Thanks for the clarification on the calculator.

Regarding the MgSo4 & Kso4
I could be getting myself in a muddle but
I've noticed that A.S.G. aquascaping guide

Uses
K2SO4 potassium sulphate
KNO3 Potassium nitrate
KH2PO4 Monopotassium phosphate
Saying it's better and follows the red field ratio

Other UK Recipes follow this:
magnesium sulphate mgso4
potassium nitrate KNO3
potassium phosphate kh2po4

What's the best or advisable, or main advantages of each?

Or other recommendations ?
( Trace I use solufeeds )
Many thanks for you help
Neil

You’ll need both magnesium and potassium. I use magnesium in my remineraliser (added weekly ant water change, as I use rainwater) and potassium in my macro mix. The IFC calculator will help you work out how much you need of both.

If you’re using tap, then you’ll need to add magnesium and phosphate to your macro mix as plants need both.

Hi all,
K2SO4 potassium sulphate
KNO3 Potassium nitrate
KH2PO4 Monopotassium phosphate
Saying it's better and follows the red field ratio

Other UK Recipes follow this:
magnesium sulphate mgso4
potassium nitrate KNO3
potassium phosphate kh2po4
Some USA based recipes don't add magnesium (Mg), because <"many of their limestones"> have undergone <"dolomitization">.
What's the best or advisable, or main advantages of each?
What @hypnogogia says.

cheers Darrel

Is there any advantages of using either as A.S.G. youtube channel is saying using potassium sulphate is much better than magnesium sulphate.
He backs it up with some compelling science.

Is there any advantages of using either as A.S.G. youtube channel is saying using potassium sulphate is much better than magnesium sulphate.
Plants need both potassium and magnesium, it’s not an either or question. Does A.S.G. Say in what way potassium is much better than magnesium? What compelling science?

The only time you don’t need to dose either of these is if your source water contains sufficient quantities of them. This page explains the symptoms of deficiencies:

If ASG water is full of Mg out of the tap then it makes sense not add anymore of Mg. But here in UK we need both KSO4 and MgSO4. Actually not so much of KSO4 as we get plenty from KNO3 and KH2PO4.

Hi all,
I'll have to watch, but it sounds like comparing apples with bananas.

All potassium (K) compounds are soluble, so you can use KCl, K2SO4, KH2PO4 or KNO3 etc. it doesn't matter which compound you use, all the potassium ions (K+) are the same, all that differs is the percentage of potassium in each compound. Whichever compound you use? It doesn't add any magnesium (Mg++) ions.

Magnesium sulphate (MgSO4.7H2O) is a magnesium source, it doesn't contain any potassium, it isn't a potassium source.

Cheers Darrel

This mix is substituting magnesium sulphate for potassium sulphate in the NPK mix

ASG is saying using the extra potassium is very beneficial and makes this fertilizer unique.

A lot of UK fertilizer recipes use the standard
Macro Solution?
4tsp Potassium Nitrate
1tsp Potassium Phosphate
6tsp Magnesium Sulphate
( I get contains no potassium)
Why aren't UK Ferts recipes using potassium sulphate if it's so good?

Just trying to understand the reasoning
Just thinking of trying it out

If US can't get hold of magnesium sulphate
Why aren't we switching to potassium sulphate instead if that is so much better as an alternative in the recipe?

Attachments

• PXL_20240615_174351242.jpg
    PXL_20240615_174351242.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 10
I think you still don't get the point. Magnesium is one of 14 required nutrients by plants to grow. If it's missing no matter how many ppm you add of potassium plants will not grow. In UK we don't have magnesium in tap water so we add it. Personally I add both MgSO4 and KSO4 as I found it was not enough of potassium cos most of my plants started developing pinholes on leaves.

So from this ASG recipe were is the magnesium coming from? As it's not in the mix?
(I use RO water like many people so all has to come from adding it.)

So from this ASG recipe were is the magnesium coming from? As it's not in the mix?
(I use RO water like many people so all has to come from adding it.)
If you don't add magnesium into your RO and you don't cut RO with tap water then I don't think you have any. Are your plants healthy growing?

I think you still don't get the point. Magnesium is one of 14 required nutrients by plants to grow. If it's missing no matter how many ppm you add of potassium plants will not grow. In UK we don't have magnesium in tap water so we add it. Personally I add both MgSO4 and KSO4 as I found it was not enough of potassium cos most of my plants started developing pinholes on leaves.
Apologies if I'm not getting it, I'm a bit slow🤣
The ASG fertilizer kit seems to be missing out on the magnesium then?
How does this fertilizer claim to be the better than the rest?

Plants need both potassium and magnesium, it’s not an either or question. Does A.S.G. Say in what way potassium is much better than magnesium? What compelling science?

The only time you don’t need to dose either of these is if your source water contains sufficient quantities of them. This page explains the symptoms of deficiencies:

If you don't add magnesium into your RO and you don't cut RO with tap water then I don't think you have any. Are your plants healthy growing?
I haven't tried this fertilizer yet. Was thinking too, but was concerned why it was different to the base standard mix. Compelling youtube channel so was tempted

How does this fertilizer claim to be the better than the rest?
You’ll have to ask ASG.
To be clear, potassium is not a substitute for magnesium. As @MrClockOff has said, there’s little magnesium in uk water. As you’re using RO, you need to add all 14 required ions for your plants to grow. That includes magnesium and potassium.

You’ll have to ask ASG.
To be clear, potassium is not a substitute for magnesium. As @MrClockOff has said, there’s little magnesium in uk water. As you’re using RO, you need to add all 14 required ions for your plants to grow. That includes magnesium and potassium.

(Just to be clear I'm only talking about NPK above
ASG Trace elements is separated in a different bottle
CSM+B)

You’ll have to ask ASG.
I know I'm confused but I found this decision, please see attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240905-064646.png
    Screenshot_20240905-064646.png
    382 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240905-064739.png
    Screenshot_20240905-064739.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 8
Back