• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

Hi
Whats the dosing ratio with this 3% mix. My tanks a Rio 180 (180L)
2ml per day approximately as this is double strength....medium planted tank!
hoggie

Having read, read and re-read this thread, I am more confused than ever...!!!
Am I right in thinking I need 30ml of 50% Glut to 970ml of de ionised water to make up a solution equivalent to EC...??

Hi Bardot
That was the standard dilution ratio for 50% Glutaraldehyde to make up a Liquid Carbon solution for aquarium dosing!
30ml to 970ml of water.....makes 1 litre of diluted Liquid Carbon!
15ml to 485ml of water.....makes 500ml of diluted Liquid Carbon!
Dose 1ml per 50 litres medium planted tank!
Cheers
hoggie

Last edited:
Easy carbo advises 1 to 2 ml p/50 liter.. o_O I used it to kill of some staghorn with 2 ml dosage, works like nothing else when it comes to algae.. But also see some plants realy not liking it and showing melt after 5 days of easy carbo use. like some mosses, Lomariopsis and Potamogeton Gayi showing signes of trouble instead of growth..
I stoped using it for now cause the goal is there red stag.. :) Other forum member stated Pelia moss also doesn't like it, which i also got but till now was holding on..

Anyway are there more people experiencing this? Is there maybe a plantlist hanging around whit susceptible plants?
Or?

Has anyone noticed that the diluted glut loses it's potency after a couple of weeks? I mixed up 1 litre, in an empty black Easy Carbo bottle. At first, the smell was quite strong from the bottle and was quite noticeable when dosing, now after a couple of weeks, there is next to no smell coming from the bottle...and I seem to be getting a bit more algae than before....

Hi Bardot
I haven't notice this although I only make up 500ml of Liquid Carbon mix at a time!
There is different strengths of Glutaraldehyde that maybe a factor!
Cheers
hoggie

Has anyone here compared there own mix of liquid Co2 using Glutaraldehyde to Sachem Flourish Excel?

I have used almost every type of commercially sold liquid Co2 over the years and found Excel to be the best, am looking to save some ££ but don't want my tanks to suffer. Whilst using Excel I have never had any issue with algae at all in 4 years but 4litres now costs almost £70 so I'm looking for an alternative.

Hi
I'm not going to and open a can of worms here......but when I first purchased 50% Glutaraldehyde a few years back it wasn't clear in colour it had a slight golden colour!
As far as I'm aware the clear coloured 50% Glutaraldehyde from the same company is proper 50% Glut!
I asked for conformation regarding this observation by email to the company....but they never got back to me.....poor customer service!
So I presume they are the same in concentration...they do smell the same...although the new batch has slightly less viscosity.
Cheers
hoggie

The first time I bought Seachem Flourish Excel it was also a golden colour. My second bottle was clear and I contacted them to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. They confirmed that both colours were OK. Since then every bottle I've had has been clear. My own Glutaraldehyde has a golden colour.

IME Flourish Excel is much better at killing BBA than the homebrew version.

I think mine (from Bonnymans) is clear...although I must admit I got Hubby to mix it for me....!!!
I don't have pressurised c02 yet, just use the Glut and ferts....my worry is that if the Glut has lost it's oomph, I will have plant die back which in turn will add to the algae issue. I didn't use Excel, Easy Carbo was the one I used to use before I bought the glut and didn't have a problem with that.
Better dust off Hubby's rubber gloves ;)

I first started using 30ml solution of glut on my 75g some time ago now and found that it were'nt strong enough to combat BB algae .. i was using 10ml aday 7 days a week .. nowadays i mix 40ml glut to 940ml RO in a one litre .. im not sure if it loses its strength after so long like its been mentioned many times , tell u the truth wen i use to use easy carbo it worked faster than the glut but theres definatley something different in the ingredients we dont no about even tho the glut smells the same straight out the bottle ..

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/hi-folks-heres-my-planted-dutch-55g.35666/

It seems our 1.5-2% concentration is at risk.
http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...ides/pdfs/noreg/253-01338.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc
The simpler method involves further dilution to an essentially nonmicrobiocidal concentration (less than 5 ppm active) in order to allow the glutaraldehyde to biodegrade.

The best we can do may be finding a compatible way to keep the solution acidic.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002440010248
...under sterile conditions at pH 5 or 7, no appreciable degradation of glutaraldehyde was observed over a 31-day period. At pH 9, about 30% of the glutaraldehyde degraded over the same period.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10315024
Three independent studies showed that under continuous daily use in hospital buckets potentiated acid glutaraldehyde lasted twice as long as the alkaline glutaraldehyde formula.

When I started suspecting it was losing it's effectiveness, I increased the dose from 12ml per day to 15ml...but the fish were not happy at that dose, constantly diving to the surface for air....
I have no idea what the ph is of the deionised water I used to dilute it, perhaps RO would be better...?? Or adding an alder cone or similar to the mix to bring the acidity down....??

probley depends on how big ur tank is on how much glut u dose ..10ml a day my fish are ok in a 75g even tho i have killed 50+ shrimp ,, but that can happen if u overdose easycarbo...,, i also find my drop checker turns grey colour if i over dose with the stuff ,, my ph tank water is 6.2 after co2 ,, before its 7,6 ... i dont think when i started using RO water with the glut changed anything really.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/hi-folks-heres-my-planted-dutch-55g.35666/

My findings with glutaraldehyde..

When i used to use Flourish Excel, it worked better than TNC Carbon that I'm currently using which is 2%,
I have a 50l aqua one aquanano 40 tank. I have stepped up dosing from recommended 1ml per 50 litres per day, currently dosing 2ml per day.
I had increased as at stated dose it was not making a difference against algae.
I had a snail problem which has disappeared since increasing doses. There used to be loads of little ones but they're gone. There are a few larger ones. They used to lay slimey egg sacks id find them all over and I haven't seem any dosing at this level.
I had 5 amano shrimps, but after buying them i was told they where ghost shrimp - anyways one by one they left the tank and i found them on the floor. Only snails living in tank at the time.
Also I had a sword in my old tank which grew amazing with flourish excel in there. My swords in my new tank are struggling, they have some sort of green slime on leaves, I have increased dosing of ferts. I recognise all of above could be because of other reasons other than glut. Just my findings.

Thanks.

Im saving for pressurised co2, then ill be lucking to use glut to spot dose.

I can find 25 per cent strength glutaraldehyde here in my city. Can someone please advise me how to prepare the solution? Like how much of this glut should I mix in how much DI water? I have a heavily planted 50 litre tank with pressurised CO2. I am seeing some BBA attack of late. Dosing Excel on a daily basis is not financially viable for me. Please help with the concentration maths. Is it a simple unitary method arithmetic i.e 60 ml in 940 ml of DI water?

Hi
Yes that is correct!
50% Gluterhyde. ..30ml added to 970ml of water.
If it's 25%...add 60ml to 940ml of water!
Add 2ml minunm to a heavily planted 50 litres aquarium.
Cheers hoggie

Back