• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

Thanks hogan53 . I hope it does not harm my otos and rummy noses. They are otherwise very delicate. I will keep you posted about the result.

Doesn't really matter what concentration the supply Glute is, PMFE is made up to 1.5% like all of them.

Been looking at the toxicology reports for Glute too. It's save for all aquatic like, fish and inverts up to 2.1mg/L.

Algae is affected above 1.4mg/L.

So if you use this formula:

((Dose amount / 1000) x 15000) / tank volume.

This will give you the mg/L of your dose.

15000 comes from the mg/L of a 1.5% stock solution we all make up.

So if I want to dose 15ml on my 140 litre tank, my resultant mg/L would be:

((15 / 1000) x 15000) / 140 = 1.61 mg/L or ppm.

Just wondering how the 15000ppm is calculated in this equation?

Thanks.

Just wondering how the 15000ppm is calculated in this equation?

From the concentration in %. For instance, the text says 1.5%, which is essentially, the proportion of the glutaraldehyde in the product. This can be offered as % in weight or % in volume. Considering is in weight, then 1.5% corresponds to 1.5 grams every 100gr of solution, and then 15 gr per kg of solution. 1 PPM is equal to 1 mg every kg of solution, so to convert 15 gr into PPMs, we need to multiply by 1000 (gr to mg) and then we get 15000 mg/kg = 15000 PPM.

Hope this answer your question. :)

Cheers,
Manuel

Just ordered a litre bottle from bonnymans also a litre hdpe bottle.
Price has gone up to £11.80 for 1 litre + £10 shipping
Still so much cheaper than the Seachem flourish I'm currently using, i'll work out dosing when it arrives I was planning on mixing it with RO water
has anyone worked out if seachem add anything else?

http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/product.php?categoryID=1421&productID=6243

I heard somewhere that Seachem had changed the chemical make up of Excel to get round some European law on selling certain chemicals, not 100% sure on that though although I think glute and excel are slightly different chemically speaking. No one is 100% sure what is in excel, they keep that close to their chests and the tests they carried out with Tom Barr weren’t published.

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can buy Glutaraldehyde 50% the same as the solution from Bonnymans anywhere in Northern Ireland? Bonnymans want £52 for delivery of a 1 litre bottle to Northern Ireland.

Many Thanks,

Darren

Glutaraldehyde concentrate is approx 50%. Most "liquid carbon" (hate the term) is 1.5%. I make 1litre at a time, hence 30ml and dilute to 1 litre. Use caution in handling. As a Jr in a chem lab used to mouth pipette cyanide plating bath solutions for assay. The gormless got a Darwin Award, the careful got a pay packet. I got my Glutaraldehyde from Amazon. I understand that USA morticians use it as an embalming fluid and consider it to be safer than formaldehyde, but I have no experience in this area.

There seems to be a lot of hating going on lately for "liquid carbon" unless it's just the various groups and forum I frequent.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

I recall Barr once saying.."Try,Do,then speak" but Forum's don't always work that way.
I have used Glut pulled straight out of the Jug and injected directly , and kept a few number's of fishes and invert's seemingly without harm, but began using the stuff with plant only tanks first, while observing the effect's which were to me,, notable .
Kept the jug sealed and under the tank.
I was not keen to use it at first with livestock ,but a few cherry shrimps that managed to hitch a ride on plant's from another tank did not seem fazed at all, and so I got to watch shrimps and plants grow and slowly multiply over a couple year's.
A US gallon of Metricide 14 minus activator pouch(throw it in the bin) of whatever,lasted nearly eight months(Dosing 20ml daily into 300 litre Tank) and was twice the strength of Seachem Excel at 1/2 the cost.
Hater's gonna hate,but I decided to try ,do,then share.

I'm not sure of the exact benefits, I've used it in the past and still spot dose with it these days. I think the main thing people take issue with is the use of the phrase liquid carbon. I keep seeing the same breakdown of the chemicals involved and the resulting net production of carbon the result being that just oxygenating the water is better and the same effect can be achieved by not dosing anything at all. Any improvement see classed as placebo. Like you say the haters gonna hate and it is quite intense. A few groups I've been can get quite hostile just for mentioning the product, I've even left some because of the lack of discussion on the subject. Some people in the know will try and explain while the majority, who I suspect don't understand and are just following people who do know just seem to want to ridicule anyone who uses it.

Best to run the tank for a year or two without the stuff,Take photos to look back on.Then run tank(s) with the stuff for year or two and do likewise.
Use it till the jugs empty,each day,not just for spot treating algae.
Then one can form their own opinion.
In otherwise CO2 limited condition,I saw enough for me to purchase second jug.

Very true, there's a theory that using glute kills off algae spores in the water therefore leaving more nutrients available to the plants as well rather than the slight increase of available carbon unless OFC dosing higher than the recommended values in which case the slight increase in available carbon would also be slightly higher as well. I suppose you have to find out at which point you hit the so called intolerant plant threshold. Lot of ambiguity though about which plants these are exactly. Some have no problems with these plants and so many factors to take into account.

Could someone tell me the ratio of 50% Glutaraldehyde to water to make up a two litre bottle at 2% please?

Does glutaralxehyde degrade or go off after some time? I bought a bottle about 5 years ago and have yet to get around to diluting it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Does glutaralxehyde degrade or go off after some time? I bought a bottle about 5 years ago and have yet to get around to diluting it

The half life of Glut in aqueous solution is 10 hours. The shelf life of concentrate in the container, as labeled, is probably under 2 years and beyond that the strength will be reduced to unknown level.

I would avoid this stuff! If you want to dose liquid carbon buy some Excel and dose according to the bottle ;)

The ingredient of excel is one and the same as Glut except for different concentration. I have done the research and worked out the equivalent dosing for my 75 gal as well as compiled toxicity test results from various sources as follows.

Seachem Excel 1.5% Glutaraldehyde

Directions: On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 US gallons). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 US gallons) daily or every other day.

Metricide 14 2.6% Glutaraldehyde

Excel/Matricide = 1.5/2.6 = 0.58

API Carbon Booster 1.6% Glutaraldehyde

Cidex or Cidex28 2.4 – 2.8% Glutaraldehyde

Initial after WC(2ppm): Excel 5ml/10gal Metricide 2.9ml/10gal or 22ml/75gal

Daily afterward(0.4ppm): Excel 5ml/50gal Metricide 2.9ml/50gal or 5ml/75gal

1 gal = 3785.41 ml

1.5% Glut = 1.5*1000000/100 = 15,000 ppm

Initial after WC: 5ml of 1.5% Glut in 10 gal = 15000 * 5 / (10*3785.41) = 2 ppm

Normal daily: 5ml of 1.5% Glut in 50 gal = 15000 * 5 / (50*3785.41) = 0.4 ppm

Double daily: 10ml of 1.5% Glut in 50 gal = 15000 *10/(50*3785.41) = 0.8 ppm

Toxicity of glutaraldehyde

96h acute Bluegill sunfish LC50 = 11.2 mg/L

Bluegill sunfish NOEC = 10 mg/L

48h acute Oyster larvae LC50 = 2.1 mg/L

96h acute Green crabs LC50 = 465 mg/L

96h acute Grass shrimp LC50 = 41 mg/L

48h acute Daphnia magna LC50 = 0.35 mg/L

Daphnia magna NOEC = 0.32 mg/L

96h algal growth inhibition Selenastrum capricornutum ILm = 3.9 mg/L

Algal inhibition Selenastrum subcapitata IC50=1 to 1.8 mg/L

96h algal growth inhibition Scenedesmus subspicatus EC50 = 0.9 mg/L

Bacterial inhibition Sewage microbes IC50 = 25-34 mg/L

96h O. mykiss (Trout hatch rate) IC50 = 1.82 mg/L

96h C. dubia (Daphnia reproduction) IC50 = 4.7 mg/L

*EC=Effective concentration; IC=Inhibition concentration; LC=Lethal concentration;

NOEC=No observed effect concentration

What is the stabilizing agent used in your glutaraldehyde product?
Storage conditions?
Bottle?
(eg, brown glass with air proof lid? especially helpful as this allows observation of any formed precipitates in which case, dispose as per legal requirements in your country)

Back