• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi, its looking a bit of a sorry state at the moment. Before I went abroad co2 ran out, so I reduced the lighting time period to 5 hours, but when I came back alot of the plants and particularly the Marsilea was covered in a black algae, I guess Green spot? I have been cutting back and removing leaves hoping for signs of recovery. I did also treat the tank with Levamisole in the week before I went, so I am not sure if that has contributed.

Changed the lighting system though... maybe I will post a pick of it looking particularly poor then I can look back when it recovers.

A journal shows the ups and downs of planted tanks ;) so a good learning experience to everyone if you cover what happened and how you recovered from it ;)

Hi Sanj, that's an amazing tank you have there! I have recently collected some rainbows (reds, blues, bosemans, red tails and dwarf neon) but I'm struggling to find a dry food that they love - any suggestions? They do love the white worm culture I'm trying to get up to a decent size to feed them lots of, but wanted a good staple food for them.

Any advice appreciated and keep up the good work!

Dan

Hi Dan,

I use this site for most of my dry foods, I have to say I find they will take most foods, but variety is always a good idea. http://www.ta-aquaculture.com/

I use a mix of different foods, spirulina flakes, pellets, granules, the various dried worms, krill, and the asthax granules. If they are being fussy you might want to try some of the food that has garlic in it.

TA were based in the UK, but relocated to Malta. Still should not be any problem ordering from them.

Regards,

Sanj

Thanks for the suggestions Sanj, I'll check them out and try a few new ones.

I know that they are eating, they're just not as enthusiastic about dry foods!

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It has been a struggle this year, plants looked really sick after I came back from Thailand, I wonder whether the Levamisole treatment I added for worms and a negative effect? Anyway, I have since replaced my powerheads with Maxspect Gyre pumps which seem to work pretty well, getting nice flow and the plants do seem to have pricked up. Scape wise not really happy and not ready for a major rescape because of £££ and the right inspiration, so I find it is a jungle and I am just letting it evolve for now.

Panorama4_zpsfc251754.jpg

Oh and I took a shot of under the cabinet... a bit messy, but hey ho :p

Panorama2_zps2ac8b2b0.jpg

What's in the small tanks? juveniles?
These tanks are used for breeding and raising fish, the left most 200litre is currently growing out juveniles, the middle has some young Apisto borelli in it, the right one has some rare Rhadinocentrus ornatus adults, which I am trying o breed from. I have another dozen or so breeding tanks, most in an understairs cupboard.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Thank you for the offer on wood Alistair, might be somthing Ill be knocking on yout door about :p.

How do you filter your small tanks? air driven or small canisters or else?
Nice fish those Radinocentrus btw

Nearly all use air driven sponge filters, some like the 200l under the big tank uses a corner style Hamburg matten filter, which is also air driven.

Looks healthy enough in the pics :) can you get some closer shots too please :)
Is they huuuuuuge clumps of needle fern or just made to look that way because of shear size of the tank?

What an amazing looking tank. And the fact you just have a couple of tanks in your cabinet including a 200 L makes me jealous. I don't think I can fit much in the cabinet under my 64L lol. I hope your plants keep recovering! :)

Back