• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changed to a Sera Co2 Reactor 1000. Gave up on inline diffuser for my planted tank.

So, I have to admit that I am a bit confuesd how I am going to know how much CO2 to add to my tank if I go with the reactor as if the ph drop does not occur and I don't get a change on the drop checker, how on earth will I have any idea how to set the level of CO2? It's not like I can compare with what I had before as you can as mine is a new set-up.

Turned co2 up very slightly. Some pearling is evident but not enough ;)

Hey Zak Rafik, I turned up the co2 a bit today... Fish seem fine and got a nice colour on the DC but it looks way high on the BC what do you think? Are my plants just greedy ;) ?

Anyhow see what you think...

Cheers

Bhu

I'm no expert on this stuff, but that looks to be a LOT of bubbles per second, way more than most people seem to talk about using. I know comparing bubble rates does not work as it all depends on the tank and the unique conditions, but still, that looks like a lot! Are you sure you are not loosing some somewhere?

Yes I checked all the co2 connections they are good! You can see the co2 going I to the reactor. That the beauty of them. There it either stays as a gas at the top or dissolves it's only way out. This reactor is capable of up to 1000 bubbles per minute so I think I'm under that still ;) your right though it does look a lot but the tank is densly planted and 150ltr of water so it must be going somewhere! Fish are fine plants are growing and healthy. Just need to get the co2 constant to stop the dreaded BBA!

A good colour on the DC though hey?

This is what it feeds, sorry not the best picture quality I have a lot to learn about photography lol...

947b244265ba5c728b0145646c964861_zps0b493861.jpg

you could play spot the SAE for hours in there lol especially as he's only about 3cm

Would you pay any attention to me if I was?
I am just concerned that you are going to gas your fish in an attempt to see pearling so I am suggesting that you please try to read up about pearling, you may find out it is not necessarily the right goal to aim for ... ask Clive!

Why would I not pay attention? I'm here to learn as many are. The DC is no where near the yellow and I'm here all day watching the fish for any signs of distress, discomfort or asphyxia due to excessive co2.

I just thought that pearling is a healthy sign of plants as gluttony in my happy fish is a sign of their health.

I have read the links that Clive posted on plants and how they work and co2 is very important. They are in video form so very good at showing you the process as well as explaining.

I like to see my plants pearling but the amount of visible pearling can be effected by lots of situations.
I think temperature can effect the solubility of oxegeon so maybe in a discus tank the effect would be different than a cory tank set at 20c ? Then the amount of flow has an effect, very high flow will disperse the bubbles so they are not so visible.
One thing is for sure and that is pearling is not always a good sigh as algea infected plants can still pearl and fast healthy growth can definitely be achieved without visible pearling.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/question-about-pearling.33706/

Thanks for the link. I think your right. The higher temps I'm at 28-29 defianately makes it harder for co2 and O2 to be dissolved. Also I do have a good fast flow now and the bubbles I see coming off zoom away! When the co2 is over and I turn the flow off I do see many fine trails of bubbles so that's good. Will go and have a read of the link that you gave and learn some more...

Hey Bhu, I've been watching this thread and I'm beginning to think that a reactor would be preferable as the 7UP-look sounds terrible. My tank is in my bedroom so I am worried about noise, the reactor seem pretty noisy, obviously quieter with cabinet closed but still loud, what do you think?

I think that pearling, although attractive, is not really a great way to gauge plant health.

Am I correct in thinking that you have had to increase bubble rate in order to get enough co2 in when using the reactor? This is counter intuitive. However I suppose it could be due to the reactor being slow to dissolve co2 and so plants use it up as it goes in, does that sounds right?

Hi Crossocheilus, there is some noise but if you can add it to your existing external canister then you really won't notice it. I am noticing the extra eheim pump now not because of the pump but I think it's to do with harmonics. A definite hum is starting to appear in the house lol. Eheim pro 250t and now then compact 2000+ then 3 metres away a tetra air pump and the clear seal 30 plus upstairs another air pump and 2 more small pumps in nano tanks. All combine somehow to make a hum that is louder in some places more than others. But I can still sleep ;)

Well I'm also thinking that as the co2 enters the tank already dissolved its immediately accessible to the plants and utilised for photosynthesis. Where as with the UP and Intense first there are lots n lots of micro bubbles wishing around then and that need to disovle before the plants can get their hands on it. I will keep a very close eye on this set up the next few days and monitor the plant growth. If it's mad then clearly it's working! After 2 days so far so good. No dead fish and took til today to get tne DC light green. So progress from now on ;)

I suppose the only way to really know about noise would be to try it. As for effectiveness I'll stay tuned and see what your findings are.

Thanks

Well first time ever, at lights on lime, light green DC :) so happy inthink im going to celebrate ;) ha ha :lol::thumbup::clap: this reactor works well!

Woohooo, champagne time! The question is though, just how much CO2 you are putting in? Seemed like a really high bubble rate yesterday, is that sustainable long term, how long is your canister going to last?

Well its a 2 kg co2 tank, all I can imagine is that the plants clearly need it and use it! Im due a refill soon next few days so can do an accurate tank usage then. Its been on 2 months at the moment but that cant be used as my co2 usage has been up and down plus leaks (hence the BBA) so im thinking at least 2 months maybe more we shall see.

But yes the fizz is in the champagne only now not in the tank ;) hahaha

Well I have been watching this thread with great interest and there has been some amazing videos and great contributions. I too have installed an UP inline diffuser (in August 14) and as Bhu has mentioned about it leaking - well mine also leaked. I contacted CO2 art (excellent service) and they supplied me with new top and base fittings and all has been well so far, but I also agree with Zak Rafik that my UP diffuser does require cleaning every month if not sooner. I have in the past used bogwood in my tank but have removed it as it appears to be filling up my filter with brown strands clearly the bogwood is breadking down and there are lots of bogwood remants still in the tank. I use to have an Eheim 2271 filter on my Juwel vision 180 but found that it was not powerful enough for my tank. So I sold it and bought a JBL CristalProfi e1501 greenline as it is designed for 160 - 600 litre tanks. Th more filtration the better .... Well that is what I thought until I added the UP and sure enough my flow has gone down. I have an Eheim spray bar all along the back of the tank (as recommended by Clive aka Ceg0408). I did have the 7up effect at first install of the JBL filter but now it appears that my 7UP has gone flat as I no longer see anything. Also I have BBA and notice some brown spot algae on the front of the tank, so I know that things are not good. Worst of all my platys have eaten sone of the plants so my tank looks like it has had a nuclear fallout. Please don't ask to see a video.. :lol:

I am looking at getting the Sera CO2 as a result of reading this thread and hoping it may solve my problems. I would have thought my filter should be able to manage it without an additional pump but my spray bar at the moment is just trickling, but I also have curly filter pipes (too much excess pipe) and not tight straight lengths of pipe so this is not helping.I also own an Eheim Univeral 1048 pump to pump my RO water back into my tank and that is only a 600l p/h pump so I may be able to use this if necessary.. It just means going back to lifting 25 litre water drums again - not adviseablt at my age.

Bhu - Why did you go for the compact 2000 and not the 1000? Also why do you have your DC up so high in the tank and not lower down? Aqau essentials recommend the DC is placed 2 -3 inches from the substrate as that is where the CO is lowest

My PH is 7.48 (as measured by my seneye) and my tap water has a KH of 8 but after it has been through the RO unit the KH is 4.0 My drop checker is constantly blue unless I dilute my brmo blue to 50% blue and 50% RO water then that is the only time that I get a dark green reading.

Worse of all I agree that my BBA is caused through unstable CO2. It must be as I fully clean my filter and replace 50 litres of water every week. I came across the following article last night about leaving the CO2 on 24 \ 7 to maintain stable CO2. What are the thoughts of fellow forum members on this? See link below

http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/planted-tank/compressed-gas-system.aspx

All help \ comments are appreciated - thanks everyone

Back