• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changed to a Sera Co2 Reactor 1000. Gave up on inline diffuser for my planted tank.

You say silent, but is there any background noise for it to blend in to? In a silent bedroom at night, I'm wondering if it would be more noticeable? The filter is an EHEIM professional 3e 600T. Not too sure yet, might buy a cheap second eheim spray bar to connect to teh one that comes with it so it covers the whole back of the tank and start with that and then upgrade to glass once I am happy with it.

I'll be interested to hear how noisy it is as I am setting up my aquarium in the bedroom
As Bhu mentioned it will be very silent if its installed inside a cabinet. But you know what? Even if you the sound is audible, its kind of those gentle rippling sound, similar to what you hear near small streams, which is kind of cool.:)

how far up the co2 tubing does the water travel for you when your co2 shuts off?
Since my is Co2 tube is black, I cant say much but as you rightly pointed out with the check valve, very little water can make it backwards. BTW, are you using a full plastic valve or a metal valve? I have noticed that with the plastic ones, the Co2 gas flows easily but with the metal ones, I had to increase the pressure to get that same BPS when I used the plastic ones. One main drawback of plastic valves, they will get brittle over the course of time as the plastic material reacts with the Co2 gas. This is the last think we want in our tank, A seriously leaking valve. Just the thought scares me.:dead:

Last edited:
Well well well look what arrived today! Out with the old and in with the new!
Is that a Pro 3 with a built in heater? Cool :)

Will be up at em crack of dawn I think to be watching this as the co2 comes on at 6 am.
Ahhh, the length we fish keepers would go to to see our fish happy! :lol:

I'm definately going to need another pump! It's very visible the drop in flow
When we the last time you cleaned your filter? Maybe the flow could be improved with a cleaner / unclogged filter. Consider removing some filter media if you have too much. For my Eheim 2080, I had 3 layers of filter wool plus the original Eheim pre filter. When I removed just 1 layer of filter wool and the flow improved quite significantly. Just keep a log of your maintenance and you can maintain a healthy flow.

I see the outlet pipe from your filter is making a 90 degrees turn and then into your reactor. Try to have as less twists and turns as possible in the pipe layout. You can turn the filter to face towards the reactor and use a shorter hose to the reactor. Every bit helps in the flow.
All this I have experienced in my setup journey. ;)
Cheers.

You say silent, but is there any background noise for it to blend in to? In a silent bedroom at night, I'm wondering if it would be more noticeable? The filter is an EHEIM professional 3e 600T. Not too sure yet, might buy a cheap second eheim spray bar to connect to teh one that comes with it so it covers the whole back of the tank and start with that and then upgrade to glass once I am happy with it.

As Zak Rafik says you won't hear it especially over an eheim 600. They really are very quiet.

Since my is Co2 tube is black, I cant say much but as you rightly pointed out with the check valve, very little water can make it backwards. BTW, are you using a full plastic valve or a metal valve? I have noticed that with the plastic ones, the Co2 gas flows easily but with the metal ones, I had to increase the pressure to get that same BPS when I used the plastic ones. One main drawback of plastic valves, they will get brittle over the course of time as the plastic material reacts with the Co2 gas. This is the last think we want in our tank, A seriously leaking valve. Just the thought scares me.:dead:

I use these http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...-with-build-in-check-valve-and-magnify-holder

And

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...cts/aquarium-glass-co2-check-valve-non-return

Very good bits of kit no worries there!

Yes it's a pro 3 250T just wish it was the same one wisely has the 600, then I wouldnt need an extra pump for my sera 1000. I clean the filters really regular. The filter was done 3 days ago and I took a lot of media out as well. Right now my pipes are spotless as well ;)

It's a real challenge with the reactor as the inlet/ outlet are 90 degrees and I don't have much room in there. There are no twists or kinks in the pipes just gentle bends which will have to do for now. Also I like it where it is so I can see it clearly and watch it work and check for the dreaded dare I say it leaks! (So far so good) Once I get the extra pump I will have tonnes of flow :) I've decided on the compact + 2000 which can be turned down to 800 l/h which is perfect :)

Still no news from sera!

Where did you get the Sera reactor from?

Good old Amazon.co.uk

Took 5 days but well worth the wait. Yes no more 7 uP look :) I'm up early making sure I don't kill my fish and doing a new pH profile... :) so far so good :)

Rafik, what about yours? Did you buy it from our local LFS?
Hi Itsai,:)
I get mine from our Green Chapter. I have seen this model only at that place.

Very good bits of kit no worries there!
Those are some cool looking check valves.:cool: Looks much similar to ADA's.

looks like I'll end up with 2 spray bars one above the other...
I was in the same dilemma as you when I wanted to setup the two filters. Then I came up with this idea ( OK! I'll be honest, I copied from someone :rolleyes:)
You can eliminate having two spray bars!:)
What do you think?
Cheers
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b631/Zak_Rafik/spray-bars_zpsda2ea265.jpg

Yes it's a pro 3 250T just wish it was the same one wisely has the 600, then I wouldnt need an extra pump for my sera 1000. I clean the filters really regular. The filter was done 3 days ago and I took a lot of media out as well. Right now my pipes are spotless as well ;)

The problem with the 600 is I had to rent a second home to fit it in to, which results in a really long pipe length ;)

I was in the same dilemma as you when I wanted to setup the two filters. Then I came up with this idea ( OK! I'll be honest, I copied from someone :rolleyes:)
You can eliminate having two spray bars!:)
What do you think?
Cheers

Well if it works great, but you still have 2 inlet flows which is what I was trying to avoid. I just want one inlet flow for even circulation. With just the crook you don't get an even spread like the spray bar and it will clash with what comes from the spray bar too. I hope you understand what im trying to explain. I fear Wisey may have given me ideas. By a bigger canister and house it further away ;) I have the pipe just not sure how much flow I will loose with where id need to keep it, so would need the 1200! Gulp!

I'm glad I left the CO2 system to be one of the last things I buy as you guys have pretty much convinced me to try the reactor instead of the inline atomizers. I may buy a couple more Eheim single taps to make things easier to remove for cleaning etc. My cabinet is gonna be pretty full with all this stuff!

so im starting to get concerned now. pH profile from 6.00 am to 10.00 am every half an hour no change constant at 6.4. DC is also a dark green. lights went on at 9.00 and co2 was running for 3 hours before. Ive just painted some ecover washing up liquid around the new co2 joints to see if there is a leak but so far nothing showing. Other wise I will have to turn the co2 up and its already a bit higher than when I used my inline diffuser! Mmmm what's happening? The co2 is definitely dissolving as the small air bubble at the top from new co2 entering the reactor is not getting bigger. Could it be that as its dissolved already that the plants are using it as fast as it goes in and so the DC doesn't register it? We will see by later as with the inline by 3.00 pm the fish are noticing it and breathing a bit heavier and the DC is light green with tinges of yellow its turned off at 4.00 pm. if its due to plants using it immediately which is fantastic then im going to have to extend the co2 exposure til lights off at 6.00 pm or at least given them an extra hour til 5.00 pm and observe...

Im thinking its due to plants using it up straight away which in a day or 2 will show with extensive growth so that will confirm it. If this is the case should I slowly up the co2 until the DC turns light green? I hope I can get this working without killing my fish lol ;) But already so happy as now there is no 7UP effect in the tank. :) So any bubbles will have to be from pearling plants.

Here's a question for you Zak Rafik, when your co2 is turned off how long does it take the reactor to disovle what's left at the top?

Last edited:
o im starting to get concerned now. pH profile from 6.00 am to 10.00 am every half an hour no change constant at 6.4.
Hi
Why don't you post your pH profile. I'm sure the experts here ( this forum) will guide you better.

lights went on at 9.00 and co2 was running for 3 hours before.
Yup. Same as mine.

Other wise I will have to turn the co2 up and its already a bit higher than when I used my inline diffuser!
Don't be surprise with what you're going to discover:). I have my Co2 BPS like crazy. (Clive aka. ceg4048, once told me that for my 4 feet tank, a 5 liter Co2 cyclinder can easily be used up within 1 month, I was skeptical about that but now I think he's spot on with that one:thumbup:)

im going to have to extend the co2 exposure til lights off at 6.00 pm or at least given them an extra hour til 5.00 pm and observe...
Do one change at a time. If not you may not be able to trouble shoot with precision.

So any bubbles will have to be from pearling plants.
If you have your fertz right and nice flow, this reactor will do magic in your tank.
For example, today I observed that the plants were pearling even with the light at 50%. There is the first time I have witnessed this.:joyful:
With the inline diffuser method, the plants would stop pearling almost immediately when the light are dimmed to 50%.

when your co2 is turned off how long does it take the reactor to disovle what's left at the top?
Exactly what I observed today. My Co2 is switched off at 3pm and lights at 4.15pm
By 4.15pm, there would be no gas at all inside the reactor. I presume this is due to the heavy flow from the canister as the gas gets whisked briskly.

If I have the time I'll post a video on this.

Cheers.

Ok so I went out today to get a SAE and came back with one but also an eheim compact + 2000 wow! Now I am happy with my flow :) not so happy with the piping as yet but it will do for now... I have took your suggestion Zak Rafik and made my eheim return just the crook on the right as here...

f0ce27acee3070a1ea5496f3313490ce_zpsa6f6205f.jpg

The sera 1000 runs through the spray bar with the eheim compact + 2000 and that's a great flow :) Here are a couple of videos showing the flow and how quiet they are. In the first video the noise is from my low tech tank some 3 metres away. It has an air bubble filter that I made.

Sorry about the rough end and quality its my iPad so not so great. The blue discus was hopefully going for some granule food and not a baby shrimp lol and don't they help to keep the carpet plants nice and compact ;)

This video I have turned the noisy low tech off so you cen hear just how quiet a set up this is until the cabinet door is opened...

Again sorry about the poor quality video :)

So Zak Rafik, from the second video do you feel that there is enough bps going on there? Great flow hey ;) Thanks for the crook advice works ok I think :)

Back