• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calling for help, starting to be tired !!!

Try dosing on alternate days mate. Every tank and every different brand of micros is a little different. This might indicate that there is poor chelation of the micros. I'm not even certain it's the Iron. It could be the zinc or even manganese, or some combination. I can't say for certain.

Cheers,

Hi,
So I did a 60% WC, took out the part of the sand that had precipitation on it.
I have put some tetra aquasafe after water change. I will let my water stay in a container for 24 hours for every WC now, like that we will see if I have a chlorine problem.
Because I put directly from tap to water.
After WC and aquasafe water was clear. But this moring when I looked to the tank water was a bit "milky" ??? what is wrong again hahaha ? starting to get crazy here
The only thing I have done after WC and aquasafe is putting a dose of KNO3 that's it.
We will see if there is an amelioration tonight.

I really wish to kill that diatomic algae, that is covering everything grrrr.

cheers

Not sure why the milkiness mate. Normally that is bacterial. If your municipality doesn't use chloramine then just leaving the water for 24 hours should be enough to off-gas the chlorine so you wouldn't need to use the Aquasafe. If they do use chloramine then yes, the dechlorinator should be used.

Cheers,

I will try to have the info (I don't know how) of what they put in their water !
Yes it looks like bacterial. Do you think it could be a reaction of the bacteria to the chloramine or chlorine ??

Well the chlorine/chloramine is there to kill the bacteria so I'm not really sure if using the aquasafe allows a bloom to occur. If that's the case then I wouldn't really worry about it because you are not drinking the water so no big deal.

Cheers,

What is the difference between Chlorine and Chloramine ?
It is armful for the plants I suppose ?cheers
When water is chlorinated, the typical product used is just bleach, but chloramine is a chlorine+ammonia product so it has different properties and has to be gotten rid of a little differently. See Darrels explanation in the thread How long can you store water? | UK Aquatic Plant Society

What do you mean by Coal ?? I don't know what is it ?
This is activated carbon. You can use this to remove either bleach or chloramine but you need lots of it. It rains a lot in Congo right? Why not just collect rainwater? Then you don't have to worry about any of this when you have fish in the tank. If you have only plants then there really isn't too much of an issue.

Cheers,

Thanks guys for your answer.
I can easily find activated carbon here ! I have a friend who have a water factory and I know he import a load of it for the production of drinking water.
I don't have any livestock in there only plants. As I said I want to know how to grow plants !! I have been keeping fish for 15 years now I want plants lol.

So if I don't have any live stock, chloramine will not be harmful for the plant ? I can still pump directly from tap ? This will help me and will be better than having 100 L sitting twice or once a week in the living room lol ?

So we can take out one parameter (chlorine/chloramine) of why I have a growth problems in my tank ?

When water is chlorinated, the typical product used is just bleach, but chloramine is a chlorine+ammonia

Cheers,

DOes this mean every time I do a WC I add a small amount of Ammonia ? Can this small amount help the diatomic algae to bloom or persist ?

Cheers

No, that only happens when you use a dechlorinating agent that does not have sodium thiosulfate and which does not neutralize the free ammonia from the chloramine. We don't know what your municipality uses so it's no good jumping to conclusions.

Cheers,

Hi
Just to let you know that I don't have melting since a week now. Since 3 days I can see new green growth !!!
The only down side is that diatomic algae is taking over all plants and hardscape. How can I get ride of this ? black out ?

cheers

Hi Thomas,
Yeah try a blackout to stop the diatoms and hopefully it will not return since you've improved the conditions.

Cheers,

Back