• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - Finally planted page 10

IMG_6198.jpg

^^that pic give a better perspective in the tank Bob! Good to see the runners on the Tennellus, love the rock choice as well. :thumbup:

I would rather go with two koralias than just one (one each side), but with just the single I would place it in the middle too, at least it send a flow in both directions of the tank.

I'm not gonna be able to add another Korillia any time soon. So with the one, it's in the best place? Would it be better a little higher up? With the mount underneath the spray bars perhaps?

The powerhead seems to be forcing the water around to fast for the Co2 bubbles to have contact with the plants... They seem to pearl/collect bubbles better without it. I also seem to have a touch of the algae!
IMG_20110702_190645.jpg

I'll take the tooth brush to it tomorrow on the next water change.

It was funny this morning, there was a chink of light coming through the curtains and the Tennellus that was in the light was sending off a stream of O2 bubbles! It stopped as soon as I closed the curtain properly.

Still seem to be getting some algae on the rocks... I think it's Diatoms but also had a couple of patches of green algae and some very small spots of tuffty stuff... I have re-added the media that I removed from the Eheim 2079 as it seemed to make no difference and also removed the netting from the reactor to see if this helps with the problem.

Another cause my be all the sunshine that we have atm, the tank is in a room with two large windows at either end... And without living like a hermit there seems to be no way of stopping the light getting it.

Cleaned the rocks with a tooth brush but there is some Diatoms on the Staurogyne front middle. Also direct dosed some Seachem Excel to the affected areas while the filters were off for the water change.

The diatoms will go mate. Done worry there.

Is the tuffty stuff green? A sure indication of poor co2 mate, i'm afraid.

Green on the rocks, is probably GDA, which will be linked with the low co2.

I have a feeling that the addition of the netting in the AM1000 seemed to hinder the Co2 rather than help it, so that is why I've remove it. I have left the Korrillia in and on the timer with the Co2 so there is more flow whilst it's on.

I must admit I'm starting to get a little concerned about the Co2 levels, as I have to have them quite high and what I would consider far too high for any fauna that I will eventually put in. I only have 2x 49watt T5 over the top so it's not exactly massive amounts of light...

Bobtastic said:
I must admit I'm starting to get a little concerned about the Co2 levels, as I have to have them quite high and what I would consider far too high for any fauna that I will eventually put in.

Let your fish be the judge of that. Seriously, if you see how much Co2 i put in my tanks, you'd freak out. My fish are all happy.

The tank is fauna-less atm but do have some Otts in my low tech atm that I plan to move over soon as sacrificial lambs!

I'll just have to keep a close eye on them when they go in. Thanks for the encouragement Mark! :thumbup:

So I tried three Ottos from my other tank in here and they last no more than 5 mins b4 one was floating around the top and the other two were motionless on the bottom... They made no attempt to evade the net when I went in for the rescue! So it's safe to say that my gas is excessively high for the fauna... Even the lone snail that's in there at the moment lives at the water line...

Ottos went back to normal once transferred to bucket, then back to low tech tank. Hopefully they'll have no lasting ill effects...

Hi all,
..... have some Otts in my low tech atm that I plan to move over soon as sacrificial lambs!........So I tried three Ottos from my other tank in here and they last no more than 5 mins b4 one was floating around the top and the other two were motionless on the bottom...
I think Otocinclus were probably about the worst fish you could try for this, and I personally think that it was unfair to the fish to put them in the tank if you suspected the level of CO2 was that high.

Otocinclus are quite rheophilic and come from vegetated waters with high O2. As a general rule the more rheophilic a fish is the less tolerance it will have to low O2 levels. In this case the Oto's were unlikely to be suffering directly from low oxygen levels, but are more likely to be stressed by high levels of carbon dioxide in the water. Without a sharp gradient between CO2 levels in the blood and CO2 levels in the water, it becomes increasingly difficult for the CO2 in the fishes blood to diffuse out across their gill surfaces into the water.

If you wish to repeat the exercise I would recommend an Anabantoid fish like a Gourami or Betta, which may still show signs of distress, but can breathe atmospheric oxygen avoiding the worst effects of suffocation.

cheers Darrel

Lol, obviously! The gas was only that high because I had no fauna, but as I have already had some algae creeping in with the Co2 almost on full blast... I'm a little concerned about what will happen when I start to turn it down...

I reduced it by a little last night so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that the reduced bubble rate will mean less bubbles and better overall diffusion.

Obviously I'm no expert, but could you introduce more plants to soak up the nutrients the algae are consuming?

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Thanks for the input Darrel.
Sorry Bob, that came over a bit more aggressive than I meant it to be, it is just I've got a bit of a thing about Otos and their care.

cheers Darrel
Lol, it's no trouble Darrel. Otto's are my favourite fishies too, and if I'd known they were so sensitive to Co2 and react so badly I wouldn't have used them... It was mainly cos they were in there originally (pre-re-scape) and that they were the fish I planned on introducing first to eat any algae.

Plus... Mark encouraged me! It's all his fault! ;) Only joking Mark! :thumbup:

Idris, I'm not really sure that's how it works... Plus I technically have more Tennellus plants in there now than when I started and the Blxya and Staurogyne was also added later. All pre-algae.

Bobtastic said:
Idris, I'm not really sure that's how it works... Plus I technically have more Tennellus plants in there now than when I started and the Blxya and Staurogyne was also added later. All pre-algae.
Don't take my word for it, but as far as I understand ...
Some plants take up nutrients faster than others eg fast growing stem plants.
And if the plants are supping all the nutrients from the water column, the algae will find it harder to flourish.

Back