• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - Finally planted page 10

The problem I have is that Co2 is only connect to one filter. So to ensure that I get better distribution of Co2 around the tank I have both spray bars the full (available) length of the back wall. I understand that having the spray bars half the length of the tank would increase the exit velocity but then I'd have to get 2 UP Atomisers, and the related needle valves and splitters so that they each had Co2 running on them.

I am confident that my Co2 is getting to the substrate as either the Co2 is collecting on the HC or they are pearling. But they don't seem to be growing as fast as I would like.

Bobtastic said:
I am confident that my Co2 is getting to the substrate as either the Co2 is collecting on the HC or they are pearling. But they don't seem to be growing as fast as I would like.
If its healthy and growing then patience ;) or you could flood the tank with more light and up everything else, but then that brings a load more of other issues which I would suggest you avoid :)

Any good reason not to have one spraybar across the back and either a second spraybar running vertically at the opposite end of to the intake, or a jet type nozzle at the bottom of the tank?

Bobtastic said:
The problem I have is that Co2 is only connect to one filter. So to ensure that I get better distribution of Co2 around the tank I have both spray bars the full (available) length of the back wall. I understand that having the spray bars half the length of the tank would increase the exit velocity but then I'd have to get 2 UP Atomisers, and the related needle valves and splitters so that they each had Co2 running on them.

That's great then, :) ....but just in case you hadn't already known,.....a single UP atomizer can handle upto 300 Litres of water. So in theory atleast, I think it should be okay should you choose to hook it up to just one half of your spray bar configuration. Unless I am back to talking gibberish. Foxfish has quite some experience with the UP atomizers,....it could help if you'd want to double check that with him.

Faizal

I was under the impression that if you're running two spray bars (each half the tank) you'd need to run diffuser/reactor/atomiser on each of the filters to guarantee maximum Co2 diffusion/circulation.

Bobtastic said:
I was under the impression that if you're running two spray bars (each half the tank) you'd need to run diffuser/reactor/atomiser on each of the filters to guarantee maximum Co2 diffusion/circulation.

I totally agree, Im running two fx5s via spray bars each half of the tank and run co2 via diffuser into each intake. From previous experience only using one filter resulted in lots of growth etc on that side but little on the other.

I got my current method from reading a thread on flow in the planted aquarium, where clive explained the benefit of spray bars along the back wall along with co2 supplied on each outlet.

What would happen if you crossed over the pipes for the spraybars:
left intake feeds left filter, output through right spraybar,
right intake feeds right filter, output through left spraybar.

That way the CO2 enriched water would get circulated round both sides of the tank.
(Just strikes me as simpler than running 2 reactors. But maybe I'm missing out on some important factors,)

I'd rather not take the chase! If I'm gonna be running shorter bars I'll be running two UP Atomisers. I have a unused Korillia that I could put in if needs be.

No, it's cool. It's something that I've thought about and decided that the way I have chosen to go is the right wone for the moment. I may go with the the shorter bar and double Atomisers when I have a little bit of spare cash.

Can anyone tell me what I would need to split and control the CO2 feed from my regulator?

I'll hopefully be posting some pictures up a little later on this evening.

Appologies for the heavy photo post.

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

You can see the bubble forming on HC.
IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

Here are some pictures of the Tennellus sending out runners.
IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

And on a side note here's a couple of picture of the mini tree,I don't really like to call it an bonsi as it's from Aldi! :lol:
IMG_6186.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

Wow,...yeah . That does look like pearling there. :) Congratulations Bob,...its going to be a beauty once it nicely fills in. :)

It's nearly been a month since planting and altho I'm happy that the Tennellus is filling it, it's not going as quickly as I'm hoped it would...

I've been toying with the idea of adding another type of hair grass to mix in with the Tennellus in the foreground. Something with finer blades, probably Eleocharis Acicularis, to add a different texture. Is this a good idea? or would it end up looking messy and be a pain?

Bobtastic said:
Ooooh! Thanks mate that would be very kind! Any thoughts on mixing some Eleocharis Acicularis into the Tennellus?
No worries, I would not mix it for now, just let it grow and see how it turns out ;)

Last night I added my Hydor Korillia power head to the tank, placed in the middle of the back wall underneath the double stacked spray bars. It's on the same timer as the Co2 so only runs while the gas is on. It definitely seems to push the water around, but not sure if it's in the best position. I'll get a picture tonight so you can see it.

But from the full tank shot where would you place one of these power heads?

Back