• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - Finally planted page 10

they will look nice in the tank bob. Ive found a few times that you can stree HC less by floating it on the surface for a few days before you plant it. Not sure why it works, maybe as its closer to the light while it changes to your tank parameters. Having said that mark evans' HC in his new tank journal defies all signs of converting from emmersed to immersed on his new tank!

Thanks for the suggestion Stu. How did you float it? Did you remove it from the pot and remove half the rock-wool and let it go? Or did you have to fashion some form of raft?

Bobtastic said:
Thanks for the suggestion Stu. How did you float it? Did you remove it from the pot and remove half the rock-wool and let it go? Or did you have to fashion some form of raft?
i put it in the part of my tank that was closest to the surface so it lay just beneath so I cheated in a way! it would probably be easiest to tie some cable tie (the stuff you get around new cables on electrical equipment) to the pot then hang it over the edge of the tank.

Bob, when your Wendtii arrives, could you take q photo before you plant it? I'd be interested to see how the pots compare withthe ones I got.

Have been catching up in your journal and like your spray bars. What size holes have you got, what spacing, and have you ended up with the same flow rate as the spraybars that came with your filters?

Here is a pic of my Jesus crypt wendyii "brown"

IMG_20110608_194419.jpg

It arrived today and it WAS happily resting at the bottom of the tank. Its decided to start levitating about the place now. Must be all the Co2 bubbles floating about.

Not sure about the wholes on the spray bar I just took the original Eheim bar and found the drill bit that fit in the wholes as closely. I also took both sections of the bar added up the number of wholes and divided them by the length of my diy bar. I then spaced out that number of wholes by result, which if memory serves was 3.5cm. As I have never run the filter through the original spray bar I dont know what the difference in flow is... I also have an AM1000 on the same filter so the flow will be reduce anyway.

Right! I best go sort out Jesus crypt before the christians ascend too!

Edit : crap the Staurogyne just join in the floating!

Hmmm. If you're still getting your plants from TGM my guess is that's Tropica and about twice the price I paid for mine. That said it looks about twice as big as mine. Even if mine are improving that's probably a lesson learnt. :rolleyes:

If it's any consolation I think my crypts and swords might be messianic too. They certainly seem to to have risen from the dead. ;)
(No offence intended to anyone.)

I planted up the Staurogyne sp, Cryt Wendtii "Brown" and Blyxa Japonic but I forgot to take a snap b4 I turned the lights off last night. Unfortunately the Pogostemon Erectus hasn't liked the conditions in my tank and most of it has melted away into mush... I still have a couple of heads left that I have replanted, but I'm not holding out much hope...

I will post up a picture when I get home.

I've never had any luck with HC in my tank in the substrate. I dud have 3d back ground once and some caught on there and grew a big mass above the surface. Transferred to below and didn't do well again. I've given up on it for now :0)

Yeah, I am concerned with the depth of my tank...

As a side effect of adding the new plants last night I have realised that I don't have enough substrate inbetween some of the rocks... Has anyone ever added more substrate to an already running tank?

Bobtastic said:

As a side effect of adding the new plants last night I have realised that I don't have enough substrate inbetween some of the rocks... Has anyone ever added more substrate to an already running tank?

I do it all the time mate. I've got 2 Corys who love the back area of my tank so I'm always adding a big netful of fresh cat litter in. It's never seemed to have affected anything so far.

I'm with you on the depth thing....

Bobtastic said:

its not a problem. Half fill a cup with AS. fill it with water so the AS abrorbs it then sink the cup into the wter and pour. If you pour it into the tank dry it floats around then sinks in the wrong place!

Thanks for the tip Stu! I may have to buy another 3litre bag of Malaya. Or may be a 9litre bag, you know... just to be sure. ;)

As there's no fauna in there I guess I could completely drain the tank and add it in dry and then refill... I guess that would be the only way to do it if I wanted to add the powder form of Malaya?

You could try getting a section of something like 50mm tube (an off cut of the stuff plumbers use) and slowly pouring the fresh substrate down it. Not sure how well it will work but might be worth a try.

Most of the plants seem to be growing nicely but the HC, although some bits are very green it doesn't seem to be doing very much... It appears to pearls is it possible that it is just catching and holding Co2?

Would I have more luck with Gloss or does it has the same demands as HC?

personally, i think HC is easier than Glosso...nice pics Bob.

ps there appears to be someone asleep on you table.

Bob,...is the water jet coming out of your spray bar still the same as in the picture there on Page 10 ? I think the water jet should be powerful enough to hit the front glass so that the vortex like water circulation could carry the co2 to the substrate level of your deep tank.

Instead of making the spray bars running parrallel to each other as they do there in your picture,....don't you think that it would be a better idea to make them run along the same line along the rear wall of your tank & only to meet half way at the centre ? . This way,...each spray bar length is reduced into half and like Johno2090 had advised me ,...the water jet becomes stronger,...it reaches the front glass ,...and the curent would be able to travel with enough force down the glass and reach the substrate levels where your HCs are.

Just my 2 cents worth.

This is what I mean,...

The poor water jet coming out of my spraybars in the begining prior to modification:

21042011066.jpg

After the modification :

24042011070.jpg

One way to know if it worked : Tiny bubbles would appear like salmons trying to swim up stream along the front glass of your tank,...only to be pushed down back to the substrate. (Again,...I am just repeating what has been taught to me,...but I do see this in my tank,..and it is quite fun to watch really :) )

Hope that helped.

Faizal

Good advice by Faizal there, otherwise you will need to invest in a couple of Koralias ;) HC tends to like good CO2 and good ferts also, but the flow is important to get these down to the substrate level and your tank is pretty high.

Back