• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
After our talk, you know where I stand with this Alastair. As mentioned by someone previously, maybe turn the biggest piece the other way around/ upside down.

As I also said, there's no 'wrong' hardscape. When you told me about your ideas for the current positioning of the wood, they could work great, with paths and open areas leading the eye inwards.

Once you have the tank, get some gravel in there, and then start placing wood and stones. You'll get a better idea. I know from experience (P@H) layouts trying to come up with ideas with just the 'footprint' marked on the floor, is difficult. Also, your looking at it, at the wrong height. You need to be on your hands and knees to visualise it.

Your cabinet skeleton is certainly the dogs mate!

Also, as I mentioned, with this being oak, watch for acidic leak. Oak is known for it. I have experience with this from my old job. We were never allowed to put oak directly onto lead (Pb) as the oak's residual acid eats away at the metal. (and it does happen rapidly) so for anyone having oak window frames fitted, with a lead sill, make sure the lead is patinated, and the oak is primed. (off topic there, sorry)

All in all mate, the picture will become clearer once you have the physical tank in place and you can start to play about a bit. Also, don't let it 'consume' you. It's easy to get frustrated with layouts.

I can knock out a hardscape pretty rapidly now, but in the past, I'd look at it too hard. Maybe create something, leave it overnight, and look at it in the morning with fresh eyes...it will look different, I promise.

After our talk, you know where I stand with this Alastair. As mentioned by someone previously, maybe turn the biggest piece the other way around/ upside down.

As I also said, there's no 'wrong' hardscape. When you told me about your ideas for the current positioning of the wood, they could work great, with paths and open areas leading the eye inwards.

Once you have the tank, get some gravel in there, and then start placing wood and stones. You'll get a better idea. I know from experience (P@H) layouts trying to come up with ideas with just the 'footprint' marked on the floor, is difficult. Also, your looking at it, at the wrong height. You need to be on your hands and knees to visualise it.

Also, as I mentioned, with this being oak, watch for acidic leak. Oak is known for it. I have experience with this from my old job. We were never allowed to put oak directly onto lead (Pb) as the oak's residual acid eats away at the metal. (and it does happen rapidly) so for anyone having oak window frames fitted, with a lead sill, make sure the lead is patinated, and the oak is primed. (off topic there, sorry)

All in all mate, the picture will become clearer once you have the physical tank in place and you can start to play about a bit. Also, don't let it 'consume' you. It's easy to get frustrated with layouts.

I can knock out a hardscape pretty rapidly now, but in the past, I'd look at it too hard. Maybe create something, leave it overnight, and look at it in the morning with fresh eyes...it will look different, I promise.

Absolutely correct with the oak Mark. We sometimes make oak king post trusses in the shop. When it's green, it doesn't half blacken your tools. Seems to blunt them very quick as a result.

They also released a hell of a lot of tannins when it rained on them.

I've not seen a Geissman in the flesh, but. That Halo certainly looks like a serious bit of kit :lol:

N

That frame looks the biz mate, very well engineered! This is my kinda journal...I Love to see all the parts like this as it all comes together, can't wait to see more :)

Thanks mate. Finally hit home that its going to be here this week and that ill have an almost sanj sized tank in my home. I think the telford experience has helped things along for me and given me that bit more confidence with being left on my own to do tanks and a good chin wag with Mark Evans on monday too really helped. He knows his stuff no wonder his tanks are as good as they are.

This will be a helluva stand for your tank. You could hold up a car on that steel frame.

Thanks mate. Ive ordered adjustable feet that can take a weight of 2000kg each too :)
The steel frame has cost me pennies too.

I do indeed mate. I took in all we had talked about and havent been racking my brains over it every minute of the day now.
Ive come back and chilled and got on with anything non fish related........almost.

Hopefully the oak with being in a garden for so long will have been thoroughly soaked through so most of the acids etc will be gone but its all going in a good 2 week soak in bins with daily hot water changes.

And as we said mate, and something I strongly agree with, the hardscape is very personal to the scaper. Its nice to get peoples opinions and ideas but at the end of the day its how I like it to look that counts. I was thinking what others would think of it when I should be thinking of what I think about how it looks and whats pleasing to me.
Which after taking a few days out has allowed me to create a few layouts stress free and only took a few minutes to do each one. Here goes............

Oh and agree on the geisseman. Its the futura 6 tropic unit. All programmed by your phone :D

I think they all have potential.

It's very easy to get obsessed with hardscape layout. Of course, it's very important; the backbone of an aquascape. But depending on planting, especially if using lots of epiphytes, many aspects of the hardscape points of interest and focal points are either lost or moved.

So try to consider planting, and how this will affect the overall composition of the hardscape. Consider species, their growth characteristics, textures and intended size.

Whichever layout you choose, I'm very confident it will lead to a great result and potentially one of UKAPS's finest ever.

Humm I like 1 and 7 ... Number 7 I think would look better if the left hand woods were coming from the rear left corner into were the large branch comes to the center ... If that makes sense ??

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 4

I think they all have potential.

It's very easy to get obsessed with hardscape layout. Of course, it's very important; the backbone of an aquascape. But depending on planting, especially if using lots of epiphytes, many aspects of the hardscape points of interest and focal points are either lost or moved.

So try to consider planting, and how this will affect the overall composition of the hardscape. Consider species, their growth characteristics, textures and intended size.

Whichever layout you choose, I'm very confident it will lead to a great result and potentially one of UKAPS's finest ever.

Thanks George, couldn't agree more regarding the planting. And that's something ive considered when viewing the 7 different layouts which is why 1 2 and 3 are my ideal ones as I think (or hope) that some of the hardscape will still be viewable to a degree. The others would look odd I think.
Ive based how ill plant it on the rate a low tech grows but given the speed at which my current and previous low energy tanks have shot off ive also included this.
I also think that with the particular ferns ill be using might enhance certain areas once grown in despite covering the hardscape.
Using the marimo moss will help keep alot of the original layout on show too as it doesnt go wild like alot of mosses ive used.
I think a long hard think of a definite species list and a quick paper sketch will help me to decide.
One of UKAPS finest would be something.... if ever!

Thanks for your words of wisdom mate.

Humm I like 1 and 7 ... Number 7 I think would look better if the left hand woods were coming from the rear left corner into were the large branch comes to the center ... If that makes sense ??

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 4
I know what you mean mate. With 7 though once in the tank and full of water it will look extremely close to the front glass given how you get the magnification.

They will all look good mate, the wood is great!

No pressure with this one mate! Lol

Awesome cheers mate. Hope so. The planting is the one thing I dont want to mess up as ive seen hardscapes done before beautifully and then planting hasn't looked as expected so charz mate.... just a lil bit of the old pressure ha ha.

Sweet jesus! It wont matter what one you choose, its going to be marvelous with that hardscape material. On the carpet looks good already!

Adding on to what George states:

I would suggest you consider some rock/stone to add height and depth to the sediment.
My 120 Gal was too shallow to do much there, I even skimped on the sediment depth to max the height I have to work with.

With your tank, you can really do some fun things with it.
I think the Manzy would look best hanging over the open areas and the other piece would look good creeping over and around the rocks, as if the roots grew over the rocks.
You can add bits of the extra smaller branches you have to add to this theme also.
The rocks also allow you to scape and position the wood better. Not to mention keeping the sediment where you want it.

I like em all al, number 1 is superb though. This tank is gonna be something else mate outstanding :clap:

Thats what I thought too Tim. I was stuck between 1 and 2 but number 2 kind of has an eery feel about it. The wood top right should be in Edward scissor hands garden ha ha.
I hope it looks as appealing planted.
Im just writing out my list now.

By the way has anyone noticed in pic 4 the top right piece of wood looks like a horse turning round?????

Sweet jesus! It wont matter what one you choose, its going to be marvelous with that hardscape material. On the carpet looks good already!

Thanks Orlando. Really appreciate that alot mate and its nice to see you on here :)

No. 2. I can imaginge trident growing in those branches. Whatever you choose it will work out great. Take your time.

Thanks Sanj. This one im definitely taking my time with. Im not wracking my brains over it or anything now like I originally was.
I was over thinking too much which was clouding my ideas.

Adding on to what George states:

I would suggest you consider some rock/stone to add height and depth to the sediment.
My 120 Gal was too shallow to do much there, I even skimped on the sediment depth to max the height I have to work with.

With your tank, you can really do some fun things with it.
I think the Manzy would look best hanging over the open areas and the other piece would look good creeping over and around the rocks, as if the roots grew over the rocks.
You can add bits of the extra smaller branches you have to add to this theme also.
The rocks also allow you to scape and position the wood better. Not to mention keeping the sediment where you want it.

Thanks very much Tom. I have been looking around for some pieces of stone and will be having a ride out through some trails to see what the rivers have stone wise. If not im thinking of petrified wood which I think will contrast nicely with the samoa substrate.
I cant unfortunately use seiryu stone as it will affect my water stats which is a shame as I like the colour.

The tanks here in 2 days but wont be In its correct place until a week or 2 but I can tweak the wood a little in this time as it could look totally different inside it.

Back