• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator

I’ve downloaded it several times and am still having the same issue that I reported when it was first launched. See post 5. I have been getting that with every new release made.
View attachment 201190
I'd guess it is a Mac / Excel issue. I'll be honest I'm not a Mac fan.
Not really. It was partially designed with Excel for MAC. That's what I am using right now and I don't have that issue. This said I am running an earlier release (16.66.1) so it's possible the new version of Excel is screwing things over.
I need to download the last version if I can.
@hypnogogia What version of MAC OS are you running?

Ok I can't update Excel. That version you have requires Mac OS 11. I am still on Catalina (Mac OS 10.15.7).
This is concerning to me because it could be that anyone with Mac OS 11 and above could be experiencing the same issue than you.

I would need the help from anyone with higher versions of MAC OS to confirm these issues.

@Hanuman I'm running Ventura 13.2, but been having this issue since 2020, so earlier versions of both Excel and Mac OS.
In 2020 you were already on Big Sur?

Last edited:
Another acquaintance of mine tested the file on MAC OS Ventura and no problem with the file 🧐 - this mean the issue has more to do with some specificities related to ones setup than with MAC OS version or the file having a problem. The more people test the file the easier it will be for me to pinpoint the issue. Unfortunately I have little to no feedback so I can't do much because so far, from where I sit this looks random and I can't replicate it.

Inconsistent issues are always the hardest to solve. As long as you think I can trust the numbers, then I’m good.
Should be fine. You could also try Excel Online since you have Office 365. Although not perfect, rendering looks slightly better and all the information is shown compared to what you are seing with your installed version of Excel. Try it.

Last edited:
Hello everybody, im from germany and was just wondering where i could possibly get all those salts i need, and wether my calculations are correct or if im missing something or if there is a better solution for it. Would love some recommandations :) I wanted to try and clone APT 3 from 2HR ive got my calculation in the attached files. It also tells me to put in beforehead E300 and E202 before adding all other compounds. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• APT 3 2HR.PNG
    APT 3 2HR.PNG
    99.3 KB · Views: 83
  • APT 3 Cost.PNG
    APT 3 Cost.PNG
    77.3 KB · Views: 93
im from germany and was just wondering where i could possibly get all those salts i need
I believe Ammonium Nitrate is illegal in Germany, if so, you will have to source a different salt to use as your nitrogen source.
Using ammonium containing salts is not advised for fertilizer beginners as it carries a much higher risk of harm to the livestock.
KNO3 (Potassium nitrate) is most commonly used, but be sure to check with the appropriate authorities that it does not also have restrictions placed upon it. (Edit: It might indeed be )

On the subject of the other salts, because shipping over country borders is usually costly, I would advise you to check out garden supply stores, online gardening supplies, and brewers supply shops to see if you can source at least the majority of the salts you need from there. One of our German members might be able to suggest the best places for this, im not entirely sure but I think @Ria95 is from Germany?
Especially Calcium and Magnesium salts, and the E numbers you should be able to get quite cheaply from brewers.

If you also intend for your homemade fertilizer to contain micronutrients, you should be looking for a premade trace blend (premixed dry salts), preferably something that is designed for aquarium or hydroponic use.

Last edited:
Using ammonium containing salts is not advised for fertilizer beginners as it carries a much higher risk of harm to the livestock.
Agreed. Whenever I hear about Ammonium Nitrate I immediately think about Beirut. This said he is only adding very minimal amounts. In a mature tank this would not pose much problems but on a new setup this could be a killer. As you said, I would also advise against it. KNO3 will be much safer to use.

@Kleetaru . Hufsa has given you excellent recommendations.
As for this:
It also tells me to put in beforehead E300 and E202 before adding all other compounds. Thanks for your help in advance.
This is so that your receiving water is acidified prior adding the salts and can prevent interactions and precipitations.

I am running 11.2.3 (Big Sur) but an older version of Excel for Mac (16.16.27) without any problems.

One suggestion I have; would it be possible for the latest version number to be displayed on post #1?
The latest version of Excel or the calculator version? If the latter it’s on the file name but I could make it more obvious in the OP if that helps.

edit: I edited the download spoiler name so that the version is obvious even before clicking anything.

Last edited:
Thanks @Hanuman @Hufsa, I was just randomly selecting some minerals without really considering if it causes problems or whatsoever. Since it's banned in Germany I'm not gonna get it anyways. That's why I was asking just to be sure. I just wanted to have those 100% digits at the bottom that's bout it 😉 now I just gotta find a store where I can get those salts 👍 thanks a lot

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to use this calculator to make an AIO fertilisers for EI Dosing Mid. I have followed the measurements from the calculator but a lot of the salts aren't dissolving. I have tried using tap water & distilled water both resulted in salts not dissolving. Any advised would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.24.19.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 10.24.19.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20230219_101934312.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230219_101934312.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 83
I have been trying to use this calculator to make an AIO fertilisers for EI Dosing Mid. I have followed the measurements from the calculator but a lot of the salts aren't dissolving. I have tried using tap water & distilled water both resulted in salts not dissolving. Any advised would be appreciated.
Using Tap water is definitely not recommended when preparing ferts.
Also I do see that you are adding calcium in that mix which is also no recommeded. Calcium should be dosed weekly separately in the tank after water change rather than dosing it with your macro.
You mention that you are doing an AIO. Are you also adding the micro in that bottle? If so you are probably not adding Fe because the water is very clear. Can you please clarify what you mean by AIO.

I have followed the measurements from the calculator but a lot of the salts aren't dissolving. I have tried using tap water & distilled water both resulted in salts not dissolving. Any advised would be appreciated.
It is because you have mixed Calcium chloride with Magnesium sulphate and Potassium sulphate :)
On their own they are soluble enough, but together they combine to make Calcium sulphate.
Calcium sulphate is soluble but much less so than the others.
You will have exceeded the solubility limit for Calcium sulphate (it needs a lot of water to very little powder), and it has precipitated out.

Its best to keep calcium salts separate from the fertilizer mixture.
It is possible to put calcium into some specialized fertilizer recipes, but it requires very careful consideration of which ingredients are used, and is usually not worth the trouble for hobbyists.

Using Tap water is definitely not recommended when preparing ferts.
Also I do see that you are adding calcium in that mix which is also no recommeded. Calcium should be dosed weekly separately in the tank after water change rather than dosing it with your macro.
You mention that you are doing an AIO. Are you also adding the micro in that bottle? If so you are probably not adding Fe because the water is very clear. Can you please clarify what you mean by AIO.
Hi Hanuman, I now have distilled water to use. That makes sense with the Calcium did I miss a warning in the excel document that said that Calcium shouldn't be dosed weekly?

For the FE I am adding micro into the bottle I'm using the Aqua Plant Care CSM+B which I believe has Iron in it?

It is because you have mixed Calcium chloride with Magnesium sulphate and Potassium sulphate :)
On their own they are soluble enough, but together they combine to make Calcium sulphate.
Calcium sulphate is soluble but much less so than the others.
You will have exceeded the solubility limit for Calcium sulphate (it needs a lot of water to very little powder), and it has precipitated out.

Its best to keep calcium salts separate from the fertilizer mixture.
It is possible to put calcium into some specialized fertilizer recipes, but it requires very careful consideration of which ingredients are used, and is usually not worth the trouble for hobbyists.

Hi Hufsa, thank you for further expanding on Hanuman's answer. Would you suggest removing the Calcium from the mixture? also are there any other salts that I'm using that would cause a reaction?

Back