• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator

I have a stupid question :shy:

View attachment 197084

What is the correct way / format to input in this field?
I have tried a variety of different combinations including the one the calculator seems to suggest and all seem to give an error.
Ive tried adjusting the limits in settings to outrageous levels as well without any more success.
Im sure it must be something very simple that im missing

Ive tried:
2 1
2:1
2 : 1
2,0 : 1,0
2,0 : 1.0
2.0 : 1.0
etc :sorry:
@Zeus. I think the issue is somewhere else since as you can see from her screenshot her Excel is configured to use commas as the radix character for decimal separation. @Hufsa There is no stupid questions. I'm looking at this right now. :)
As a side note, and FYI, you just need to input the Ca value as the calculator will automatically add the Mg ratio ( : 1.0 )

Last edited:
@Hufsa I pinpointed this to be a specific issue with Excel Online and how it is handling the data validation. This does not occur with a local installation of Excel. One way around this is to input the desired value in the 'Carbonate Hardness dKH' input field for example, then copy and paste (AS VALUE - VERY IMPORTANT) to the 'Ca : Mg ratio' input field and then delete what you entered in the 'Carbonate Hardness dKH' field.

Also, and this is intentional, you will not be able to input any value in the 'Ca : Mg ratio' input field as long as the 'Ca/Mg Hardness (dGH)' input field is empty. This is to prevent some runway calculation that was happening if this limitation was not in place.

Last edited:
@Zeus. I think the issue is somewhere else since as you can see from her screenshot her Excel is configured to use commas as the radix character for decimal separation. @Hufsa There is no stupid questions. I'm looking at this right now. :)
I edited the sentence. I said 'dots', I meant 'commas'

@Hufsa I pinpointed this to be a specific issue with Excel Online and how it is handling the data validation. This does not occur with a local installation of Excel.
Interesting, that will be the first confirmed issue exclusive to the "online version" then
One way around this is to input the desired value in the 'Carbonate Hardness dKH' input field for example, then copy and paste (AS VALUE - VERY IMPORTANT) to the 'Ca : Mg ratio' input field and then delete what you entered in the 'Carbonate Hardness dKH' field.
That worked, thank you very much :thumbup:

Interesting, that will be the first confirmed issue exclusive to the "online version" then
The second, which so far is also related to how Excel handles data validation errors. I think I mentionned this in the tutorial thread you created about the IFC calculator although I am not 100% sure. I’m about to sleep and on my mobile so will check tomorrow.

Hi all,
her screenshot her Excel is configured to use commas as the radix character for decimal separation.
We have had this problem with some of our European students.

I prepare the files for use with <"R"> as text using "comma separated values" (*.csv), which works really well, as long as everyone uses a decimal point for decimal separation. You can tell "R" whether you are using a point or a comma, so fine there, but try and open a csv file in Excel with the radix character as a comma? and horrible things happen.

cheers Darrel

We have had this problem with some of our European students.
In Germany, for example, a ‘.’ used to signify the multiplication operator, thus 2,5 . 2 = 5 (2.5 X 2 = 5) and thus the radix character was a comma. Certainly used to the the case, might well have changed now to align with international norms.

Hi all,
.’ used to signify the multiplication operator, thus 2,5 . 2 = 5 (2.5 X 2 = 5) and thus the radix character was a comma.
Yes, I think that is still true.

We have problems with our students and formulae as well, usually where the muliplication indicator is a "." or it is just the number in front of brackets.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
The second, which so far is also related to how Excel handles data validation errors. I think I mentionned this in the tutorial thread you created about the IFC calculator although I am not 100% sure. I’m about to sleep and on my mobile so will check tomorrow.
@Hufsa I looked at the short guide you made and the error you experienced recently is exactly what I commented about earlier in June. I actually made a video on how to bypass the issue.

I have a couple of questions about the IFC calculator, now that I’m exploring and using more of its features:

on the target calculator tab, why is the weekly total number for K in red?
if adding magnesium as part of the macro dose, will that be taken into account on the remineralisation tab?

My targets for NPK and Mg are are 20, 3, 20 and 10 respectively. I use KNO3, KH2PO4, MgSO4 in my mix and achieve 100% of my target for all except K, where I only achieve 69%. What other source of K should I useto achieve 100%?

I have a couple of questions about the IFC calculator, now that I’m exploring and using more of its features:

on the target calculator tab, why is the weekly total number for K in red?
if adding magnesium as part of the macro dose, will that be taken into account on the remineralisation tab?

My targets for NPK and Mg are are 20, 3, 20 and 10 respectively. I use KNO3, KH2PO4, MgSO4 in my mix and achieve 100% of my target for all except K, where I only achieve 69%. What other source of K should I useto achieve 100%?
Its because you not adding anything that has the primary drive for K
1676233306542.png

K2PO4 has K but only secondary - its the PO4 that drives K2PO4

Its because you not adding anything that has the primary drive for K
I’ve now also added Potassium Sulphate on the calculator. K is now showing as 100% but is still red. I’m using version 1.2b5.
What about this? Thanks for your response so far.

No. Each of the 4 calculators are independent from each other, and they should be. Macros and remineralisers should not be aggregated (although technically there is nothing wrong in doing that), but Macros are aimed at plants in general, while remineralisers are for the whole ecosystem. Truth is a bit more or less of Mg wont do anything to your tank. If you notice, liquid fertilizers usually contain a negligible amount of Mg anyway. If you really want to go all the way, simply deduct the Mg brought from the TargetCalculator from your Remin target but I find that pretty useless.
I’ve now also added Potassium Sulphate on the calculator. K is now showing as 100% but is still red. I’m using version 1.2b5.
What about this? Thanks for your response so far.
Post a screenshot please. If you did not decide to make a clone and are using your own targets, this should not happen.

Last edited:
@Hanuman. Thank you for clarifying, and all makes sense. See screen shpt below.
View attachment 201184
There are many artifacts that should not appear. This looks like you are using the Calculator with Excel Online.
I never really tested nor did we develop the Calculator to be used online. This is why you are seeing these out of place colors and borders. This said calculations should be fine as the main issue is with the conditional formatting. Excel online does not have all the capabilities of a locally installed version of Excel.

I have actually just tried the file with Excel Online and it looks noticeably better than your screenshot. From your picture the % of the solubility is screwed and the NO3 and PO4 totals are absent. This is not normal. Did you try downloading the file again?

Last edited:
There are many artifacts that should not appear. This looks like you are using the Calculator with Excel Online.
I never really tested nor did we develop the Calculator to be used online. This is why you are seeing these out of place colors and borders. This said calculations should be fine as the main issue is with the conditional formatting. Excel online does not have all the capabilities of a locally installed version of Excel.

I have actually just tried the file with Excel Online and it looks noticeably better than your screenshot. From your picture the % of the solubility is screwed and the NO3 and PO4 totals are absent. This is not normal. Did you try downloading the file again?
Hi @Hanuman im using excel for Mac, office 365 suite, but not online.

I’ve downloaded it several times and am still having the same issue that I reported when it was first launched. See post 5. I have been getting that with every new release made.
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 12.13.42.png

Back