• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transparent Tank - the end

Least hassle way to change water?

Have been pretty pressed for time recently, so keen to minimise the time spent changing water. Thanks to plantbrain and others on this thread, I think I've come up with a nifty solution:

1. Using a cheap 'u-bend' and the end of a gravel hose, make a fitting where you can just hook the hose over the side of the tank. The end of the hose should end at the level of a 40% water change

water%20change%201.jpg

2. Connect a separate short section of hose with a siphon pump, using a hoselock fixing, to the other end of the hose, pump a couple of times, and water starts to drain out.

water%20change%202.jpg

3. Go away for as long as you like - as water will stop draining when you get to 40%, if your 'u-bend' is the right height.

water%20change%203.jpg

4. Add in Prime dechlorinator (which I've only just started doing - keen to see whether makes a difference)

water%20change%204.jpg

5. Using a two way tap splitter, connect the main hose and the siphon pump hose separately. Get the water to come out of just the siphon pump side until the temperature is right. Then open up the tap to the main hose a bit. This means you can check the water temperature going to the tank (if you use the hot tap) constantly, through the short section of siphon hose, without having to put your hands into the tank. And you can also put the fresh water in as quickly or slowly as you like.

water%20change%205.jpg

Sorted. Thanks plantedbrain...

Quick photo update

Here's how the tank's looking today. Have moved some of the Alternanthera to the right, hoping it will thicken up a bit there.

24%20july%20update.jpg

Not growing as well as I'd like, really... But at least the limnophila is thickening out. Have cut back stems and replanted, and it's beginning to branch out.

Switch to EI, sorting flow and increasing lighting

Have been pondering the tank for a few days, reading some articles on ukaps that I hadn't really engaged with properly before (particularly clive on flow and EI).

Here's how the tank's looking, from each side. [EDIT - now that I've posted this, and can compare it easily to the picture just above, can see I'm getting quite a bit of growth. Just shows keeping a journal is pretty useful.]

2011-08-02%20at%2007-48-29.jpg

The other side is much harder to take decent photos from, as there are reflection issues :(

2011-08-02%20at%2007-50-11.jpg

Am still having little joy with the carpet, even though the drop checker right above them is pretty much yellow, so have decided to crank up the light, putting one flourescent tube back into action, and getting a reflector on it. (As an aside, am cross with the shop for not selling me a reflector, instead flogging me more lights :twisted:.)

I'm also biting the bullet and moving to EI dosing:

Plan to mix up 1L at a time of each mixture, using these dosing bottles, recommended by hogan 53.

And finally, I'm now convinced the flow isn't good enough too. The tank is very narrow - just the width of a brick wall - and the bits of redmoor in the root leave almost no room around them. Looking in detail at the stems in the redmoor shows the leaves are melting a bit, which is I think a sign of CO2 shortages.

2011-08-02%20at%2007-48-29%20%281%29.jpg

So I'm going to take one bit out, which will leave more space for flow, and plants as they grow through... Will post pictures in a week or so when it's settled down a bit.

So, I'm basically pretending clive is in my living room, telling me to switch to EI and sort the flow. (And I'm increasing the lighting too, which he'd probably tell me not to do! But then you have to make your own mistakes... :shh:)

ei and 'mind your own business'

Have done a mini-rescape, removing one piece of redmoor to improve the flow, and trimming back some of the red stems:

2011-08-09%20at%2021-28-54.jpg

And from the other side:

2011-08-09%20at%2021-27-01.jpg

Gives a lot more room for flow, and the plants seem to be much healthier already:

2011-08-09%20at%2021-28-00.jpg

Am also doing a bit of an experiment, trying to grow some Soleirolia soleirolii I found in the garden. Not an aquatic plant, so bound to fail, but worth a try... After all, even Amano has to experiment :rolleyes:

2011-08-08%20at%2007-19-29.jpg

HC (again)

So it turns out the mind your own business is a bad idea. That'll teach me to try and innovate.

EI dosing seems to be making a difference. Am now convinced that my flow isn't high enough, so have removed the polishing filter from my eheim and taken out half the media. And am also going to copy this approach from tyrophagus:

tyrophagus said:
Jim you need a rated flow from your pumps/filters of 4500lph. The pumps/filters will not perform at their rated flow due to the pipes, gravity (head), narrowing at inline equipment points. Perhaps a system with a rating of 4500lph will perform at 2500 or 3000lph, it varies depending on setup and you would need to measure the flow yourself.

My eheiem 2076 e has a rated flow of 1700lph and was producing 700lph with an inline co2 diffuser and inline heater.

Next is don't confuse flow/turnover with filtration. You don't' need a huge amount of filtration for a well maintained planted tank. I use an eheim compact+ 3000 external powerhead to drive my co2 diffuser and inline heater and pump that out of a spray bar along the top of the tank. I run this pump at 50% i.e 1500lph. I have a 2nd loop that drives a separate spray bar directed up the back of the tank from substrate level that the eheim 2076 is attached to and I run this filter at 50% as well so approx 600lph (no inline attachments for filter).

This is all on a 180l tank. I have awesome flow, to much if everything is at max. I switch off the external pump when I'm not providing co2 to the tank. The downside is I have 4 tubes going into the tank.

If I were you I would use an powerful external powerhead to drive my flow and either use one of your filters or try piggyback the two

Have got a New Jet 1200 pump coming, and some acrylic for spraybars. Tinkering is never done...

Plus am putting in some crypts (finally getting there...) and trying HC again :sick: but this time with EI and blasted with CO2.

IMG_0704.jpg

It's all a bit cloudy from the rescaping so no pictures until tomorrow.

Am a bit convinced all this would be easier in a (second) (bigger) tank, maybe a 240L one, but can't justify it until this one looks good. Doesn't stop me starting to plan it though...

crypt advice

So here are some quick photos of the tank after putting in the crypts and the HC. Now just waiting for it to melt...

IMG_0767.jpg

Love this pennywort

IMG_0755.jpg

And here's the overall tank. Water still not quite clear but not looking too bad... Flow is much better with some redmoor removed. When the Limnophila starts to bunch out a bit more, when I've trimmed a bit, will be getting there. Man in the LFS today said the Limnophila needs a lot of light to redden (his has 4 T5s), so going to wait for it to get to the surface and see whether it reddens, and then maybe consider putting in another T5 as well as the Grobeam LED and the T5 I have already. Beginning to want a PAR meter!

IMG_0724.jpg

Here's the camera settings and histogram - people have been asking about these, so thought useful!

eos%20settings.jpg

eos%20histogram.jpg

Have never grown crypts before, so not quite sure about how far to leave the roots exposed. Have pulled the base (rhizome?) out about a centimetre from the substrate - does this look right?

IMG_0752.jpg

Update

Time for a quick update.

After realising that the flow was too low, have installed an additional New Jet 1200 lph pump which takes the inline CO2 and heater. Thanks to all who commented on this thread for helping me sort that out. Seems to be making a difference and getting all the plants waving throughout.

EI dosing seems to be going well, and the crypts are certainly thriving. But have been spending a bit of time away from home and tank maintenance has been somewhat shoddy (e.g. had to dose triple EI before going away for 4 days quite a few times).

So the HC I planted hasn't really thrived - was nervous about ranking up the CO2 when I was away and gassing all my fish (again). Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread to try and sort it out. But it's not dead yet!

Here are some very quick photos, sorry about the quality, but gives an idea of the growth. Will update for better ones at some point when I have time!

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

So think it's all in place. Just need to be braver on the CO2 and spend more time at home...

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge - move to EI

The Crypts are welcomed.
I think some dwarf clover might be better than HC, it's a weed or it slowly dies out for most, so the clover, moss, Starougyne, something easy to care for would be better there I think.

The Red A reinickii looks good, I would work with and keep that one.

Maybe some needle leaf java fern from the center of the wood.

Dwarf puffers

plantbrain said:
The Crypts are welcomed. I think some dwarf clover might be better than HC, it's a weed or it slowly dies out for most, so the clover, moss, Starougyne, something easy to care for would be better there I think.

The Red A reinickii looks good, I would work with and keep that one. Maybe some needle leaf java fern from the center of the wood.

Thanks - all very helpful! Here's the tank this morning:

IMG_1103.jpg

Have been away a lot and the algae has got completely out of hand and some shrimp have died (think the CO2 was a little bit high). But the HC is beginning to look healthy underneath it so might stick with that for a while until it completely defeats me.

So went into the LFS today and got 7 Ottos to blitz the algae, and a narrow leaf java fern (agree this should go in the middle). Fixed this to some rocks with superglue..

Photo%2024-09-2011%2017%2023%2050%20%28HDR%29.jpg

...and bunged it in the middle. Also sorted out new intakes and outlets, improved the flow a lot, and did a general clean of everything. (After the photo above :?)

But the real highlight is six new dwarf puffers :clap:. I know they may well kill my shrimp and everything else but I love them already. So much personality. They're still tiny. Just uploading a YouTube video now that shows the java fern in place, the ottos starting work on the algae, and the puffers starting to feel at home. Will post later.

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge - new dwarf puffers and v

Video is private can't watch it :)

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge

Just got a new Canon Prime 50mm 1.4 lens. Love it! These are without a tripod, on my old Rebel. Will take some proper pictures soon.

(I moved a few plants before, so the water's not that clear...)

IMG_0667.jpg

Looks like the glass needs a clean too:

IMG_0671.jpg

And what kind of algae is this? Does it matter? Should I easycarbo it - Amano shrimps / ottos leaving it pretty much alone...

IMG_0679.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge

Love how you can see the development of the tank, great journal! Tank is looking lovely, keep it up. I'm not an algae expert but it might be black beard algae? (Don't take my word for it).
Callum

Back