• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transparent Tank - the end

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge

Your journal is fantastic, just spent 20 minutes reading it from the start and i've learnt a lot from it. I thought puffers were strictly brackish water, how come you're keeping them with tetras?

dwarf puffers inhabit freshwater and brackish- even in the same body of water

When you do a water change, dribble some Easycarb or Excel on the wood to kill any algae by doign say, a 50-70% water change.

Then dose the full amount labeled on the EasyCarb of Excel bottle for the next 2-3 weeks.
Even in non CO2 systems, Starougyne has grown pretty well for some folks.

But the CO2 needs to be stable. Good current also, regular frequent water changes will help, clean the filter often etc.
The algae on the wood and the silicone suggest you do smaller water changes, try 50-70%.

H2O2 also works if the cost or you do not have Excel/Easy carb around.

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge - getting close to the en

Thanks - really helpful. Haven't had that much time recently, so only just got round to cleaning up and sorting out the tank properly today. One problem with having the tank in the wall is that it's hard to clean properly. Have just got a proper scraper but the angles make it tricky... and taking photos is a nightmare with no back to the tank.

Think I'm doing most of what you recommend though: CO2 is injected ut was having trouble getting it evenly lime green (as was very wary of gassing all my fish as have now done this TWICE), I dose EI (but sometimes forget), water change 50% a week and flow is 10* but am beginning to think the LED lighting is just not up to scratch.

Plus haven't been cleaning it properly and I think there were too many 'flow blocking' plants in there.

So decided on a big trim. Here's a shot just before:

IMG_0902.jpg

Have cleared out the crypts that had got way too big (and were depressingly dark - no contrast with the redmoor) and adjusted the reflector on the single T5 I have mounted: now have plants pearling all over the place for the first time in absolutely ages. May at some point put the other T5 I have in there too.

So that's good. Have also added some Cryptocoryne undulates kasselman as liked the colour better - though just seen that gets enormous! So probably a bad choice.

Here's the full tank shots from each side...

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

...new tank!!!

...but the good news is that I'm getting a proper sized tank (something like 120*40*55) early in the new year - have just been granted 'planning permission'. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Feel ready to try out everything I've learned with this one... and will strip this one down when the other one's running and cycled.

In this one, need something low maintenance that looks good from both sides, so pretty much sold on a simple hair grass Iwagumi with some nice stones. But any ideas welcome.

Now just to get planning for the big one... definitely want wood in there, but might do manzanita instead of redmoor, and needs stones in it too. Will start another journal on the big one when it's getting near to being ready. Have so much I want to try out.

But will keep this journal (and tank) going until I get the new one done. At some point will do a 'mistakes I've made' post, as think I've done pretty much every one in the book so far. Maybe the first post of the new journal...

The Transparent Tank Challenge - getting near the end

Sorry mike if you have mentioned earlier but where are your lily pipes from?
Looking at some for my nano and they look low profile
Many thanks
Matt

mdhardy01 said:
Sorry mike if you have mentioned earlier but where are your lily pipes from?
Looking at some for my nano and they look low profile
Many thanks
Matt

Made them myself - cost about £4. There's a description somewhere in the journal.

Added a second T5 today and put reflectors on, and tank has started pearling properly. Think the Grobeam LED just wasn't giving enough light. So have 36w plus the 12w LED on now, and bubbles everywhere.

Have also removed the wood to make space for growing up plants for my forthcoming big tank, so the aquascaping has gone... just as I crack it!

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge - getting near the end

Congrats on the planning permission!!

I have read your journal from beggining to end and it's a been really helpful!

Looking forward to your next now...

jalexst said:
I have read your journal from beggining to end and it's a been really helpful!

Looking forward to your next now...

Really glad it's helped. I've learned a lot doing it. Here's the pearling today:

29%20December%20001.jpg

29%20December%20002.jpg

29%20December%20003.jpg

Have never had anything like this before. Is also maybe due to putting in all of Tony Swinney's nano tank plants, which he kindly sent me :thumbup: :clap: . So have removed all the hardscape and am just using this as a greenhouse to grow up as much volume as I can for the planting on... :)

What the hell are these?

Here's a full tank shot of the destroyed scape that's now a farm:

2012-01-02%20at%2017-23-49.jpg

But at least things are growing properly. The extra lighting is also reddening up the Limnophila aromatica.

2012-01-02%20at%2017-25-11.jpg

And the stauro is coming along now after a harsh prune

2012-01-02%20at%2017-29-53.jpg

But my real question - and reason for posting - is what the hell are these things wriggling on the glass?

2012-01-02%20at%2017-25-38.jpg

My dwarf puffers aren't interested at all. Hoped they might eat them.

Just finished reading your journal, there's some great info and I'm definitely going to try the DIY lily pipes. Looking forward to your next journal :) good luck.

Tom

Just read this through from start to finish! It's great that you were so honest about both your failures and successes - it's incredibly useful to me, as I'm just planning my first 'properly' planted tank. And congratulations on getting your Limnophila to redden up - will it be starring in your new tank?

PS. What happened to your dwarf puffers?

Puffers are still there happily toddling about. Yup Limnophila will have big role in the next one... The trouble is pinning down a smaller number of plants for the next tank - think tanks look much better with just 4-5 types of plants in them, even if they're quite big, and need proper contrast in colours and shapes of leaves etc.

Did you ever find out what the creepy crawly is Mike ?

Back