• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - New pics 14/04

You could anchor some wood to the tank somehow, making a barrier, whilst adding a nice extra dimension to the hardscape :)

I'd second Indian fern, it grows in a nice bunch. Also, Hydrocotyle Verticilata when emergent is quite awesome (and rampant). Looks great draping down the side of the tank :)

I had some growing in/on a 60cm a few years back:

http://deviant-uk.org/pics/aquatics/Liv ... W_4748.jpg
http://deviant-uk.org/pics/aquatics/Liv ... W_4751.jpg

http://deviant-uk.org/pics/aquatics/Liv ... gust_2008/

bigmatt said:
floating wood? One in and one spare to replace it when it sinks?

Same principle, get a plastic mesh, attach closed cell foam to it and put wood on top, then add plants.

I now have a floating raft with H Pinnatifida. The guys saw one of my mesh rafts at Vivirium, it was growing Riccia emersed. Very simple and clean way to have floating plants. Also look at what riparium supply has, although he is in the US and shipping may be an issue.

Cheers Gav. That sure does look lush!

Have decided to continue the crypt theme as the last lot haven't melted heavily and are already putting out new leaves, so there's a large amount of C. parva headed my way next week.

Stuff below the waterline has been filling in nicely with decent crypt and fern growth and some fiddling. This is how the two main viewable sides are looking today, excuse the narrow depth of field, just quick handheld shots.

(click for 1000x280px)

NSfFzG.jpg

AzdyiH.jpg

Last edited:
Tom's Bucket O' Mud - New pics 14/04

Looking really nice Tom. Everything looks fairly healthy and it's a very natural looking scape. I'm still loving it :)

Yeah everything seems pretty healthy except the glosso. The staurogyne is a little yellow underneath as I hadn't trimmed it in ages, but having topped it the bottoms are producing nice green shoots again. Had almost no crypt melt amazingly and they're rooting and putting out new leaves pretty happily. MM is growing like a weed.

Hehe, was having a browse (dangerous!) in one of the LFS in Edinburgh today and spotted 8 Boraras maculatus, which I couldn't quite resist. 2 of them were extremely skinny and are still in hiding, but the remaining six have settled in instantly and are waging epic battles against individual daphnia. Quite hilarious that they're too small to take down a whole one on their own :lol:

Great fish to have, loads of character in such a small size.
And Yes have watched them battling with daphnia, Is hilarious

Re: Tom's Bucket O' Mud - Fish pics page 8

just wanted to say, I love this tank....going to have a go at one myself when I can buy a decent shallow tank.

Amazing Work!

I love this, Tom! Great capture and the colours are beautifully rich.

bm2r.jpg

I think it's brilliant when you almost cannot tell if the fish is being photographed in the wild or not - no sign of any equipment, glass, man-made ornaments etc. I become almost entirely suspended in disbelief.

What flash set-up did you use?

Thanks George, I was pretty pleased with that one too.

Flash setup was my usual haphazard style - camera in one hand, ring flash held in my other hand over the tank with a bit of white tissue paper stuck on the front to act as a diffuser :lol:

Back