• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal The Mermaid’s Rockpool Garden

Humbly suggesting quite old Reefkeeping articles as well including this slideshow of the more common and available (at least in US) forms: ReefSlides - September '06 - Algae Album: An Algae ID Slideshow

Algaebase.org is also invaluable but difficult to get much beyond genus level and even that is quite hard.

It is so nice to see macroalgae gain a foothold on UKAPS!

was delighted a few years later to see they were the first to get Halophila ovalis to flower in Europe

In my years of keeping H. ovalis, engelmannii, and johnsonii (now considered an ovalis clone) and others like Halodule wrightii I was always amazed to see flowers form after some near disaster or other. Usually preceded by a random outbreak of cyanobacteria or a temperature spike (such as following a hurricane that rendered aircon useless and drove tanks to 32-33C).

Lovely tank shangman. So nice to see others find the beauty in marine plants.

Sarah

I am afraid that any pictures of my cold water marine tanks have been lost over time.
There was a journalist who worked for Practical fish keeping, Dr David Sands was his name and he came to my house and photographed my tanks but that was around 30 years ago!
I am regularly tempted to set up a local marine tank just to show folk how spectacular they can be!
However like most marine set ups, if you want to do it properly it takes a dedicated effort and at my stage of life, I just don't have the incentive.
So my cold water set ups used double glazed front glass and and insulated back and sides and a cooler that was situated outside.
Filtration was a large protein skimmer, trickle filter and by weekly 50% water change straight from the sea.

The tanks were extremely successful in their own right but the massive advantage for me was the fact that I could not only collect my livestock but also return it to the sea should I see any issues or want a change.
Basically I would collect specimens from rock pools at low tide, mainly in the form of an piece of rock covered in seaweed and algae.
Very often, certain creatures and seaweeds would start to look a bit shabby, so I would return these to the sea and try something else until you work out what really thrives.
Creatures like Snakelocks anemone would grow like crazy and multiply, many algae and seaweeds would out grow the tank in a matter of weeks.
My last local marine tank was a four foot display in my lounge that had people amazed when they saw it.
There were many types of red seaweed and red algae but I cant remember the names.
They sound amazing! And perfectly convenient when you are right next to the beach, what a dream. Perhaps one day I will move close to the sea...

Hi all,

This one looks promising <"Nuisance Algae ID Guide- Reef Cleaners">, it is how to get rid of them, but lists a lot of different "species", many quite ornamental.

cheers Darrel
I have rather a lot of these! I haven't had any actual pest algae in the tank, it's all been very well behaved. Would love that have that fuzzy bright pink one, what a colour.

Humbly suggesting quite old Reefkeeping articles as well including this slideshow of the more common and available (at least in US) forms: ReefSlides - September '06 - Algae Album: An Algae ID Slideshow

Algaebase.org is also invaluable but difficult to get much beyond genus level and even that is quite hard.

It is so nice to see macroalgae gain a foothold on UKAPS!

In my years of keeping H. ovalis, engelmannii, and johnsonii (now considered an ovalis clone) and others like Halodule wrightii I was always amazed to see flowers form after some near disaster or other. Usually preceded by a random outbreak of cyanobacteria or a temperature spike (such as following a hurricane that rendered aircon useless and drove tanks to 32-33C).

Lovely tank shangman. So nice to see others find the beauty in marine plants.

Sarah
Thank you for the links, I'll have a look now. I'm absolutely loving keeping macroalgae, I wish I there were more available species to keep. Most have done very well for me, though a few just completely disappear within a few days.

Flowers!!! How fascinating, I would love to keep seagrasses, no idea if anyone in the UK has tropical seagrass. Maybe one day when I have space to upgrade I can source a little along with some more seaweeds, I would love to keep more pipefish and other grassy fish and other critters. I'm at the point where this is 10000% the tank I would upgrade, it is just so so magical seeing the creatures amongst the macroalgae and corals thriving.

Life has been slapping me round the face for a while now, with both good things and bad! Makes posting stuff much rarer than before, alas. A week ago I had the chance to take some nicer pics of the tank again, finally getting around to posting...

Enjoy the dump! Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow :)

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0925-2.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Can you spot the little black and white squat lobster? He's a bit smaller than a 5p coin.​

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
This is looking incredible Rosie and certainly seems to be thriving, nice choice on the wrasse too, they’re lovely little fish..

Almost makes me want to salt my new tank up, although my wife has a hatred for blue lights and I don’t think I’ll ever be allowed them again haha.

This is looking incredible Rosie and certainly seems to be thriving, nice choice on the wrasse too, they’re lovely little fish..

Almost makes me want to salt my new tank up, although my wife has a hatred for blue lights and I don’t think I’ll ever be allowed them again haha.
Thank you! It really feels matured now, the seaweed is a proper jungle and all the coral are thriving, I've had to do some basic fragging (and ripping out of the anthelia which refused to be fragged easily and is trying to take over). Can't fit much more in now :') Dreaming of an upgrade...

The wrasse was my first new fish in this tank in November! I used to see them very rarely, but they're really bold now and I see them constantly, they just go about their business all day it's so cute. Such a fascinating way of swimming, they hover around so elegantly.

Poor you :( The blue light doesn't bother my family luckily, though it's only on for 2 hours in the evening as the lights dim. It's lovely to see the vibe change, the corals transform in colour, and some of the shyer creatures make an appearance. I want to get an orange filter for my camera so I can record that time of the tank better.

Last edited:
Enjoy the dump! Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow :)

IMG_0925.jpg
WOW what a stunner, just love the diversity of this marine tank, beautiful tank and love the colours of the corals/algea and fish! This must take quite a bit of work to maintain and get right, well done Rosie :)

The tank is amazing, the amount of colour and diversity you’ve managed to squeeze in to that aquarium is impressive.

Love the shrimp and goby pair!

WOW what a stunner, just love the diversity of this marine tank, beautiful tank and love the colours of the corals/algea and fish! This must take quite a bit of work to maintain and get right, well done Rosie :)
Thanks Paulo :) It is quite a bit of work, but I find it very enjoyable and meditative, it's very worth it! It's not any more work than a nice freshwater tank either ;)

Exquisite! What an absolutely beautiful tank!
Thank you Tacy!! <3

It's perfectly beautiful.
Who would have thought the sickly-looking rocks you showed on page 1 could evolve into such an amazing diorama!
Thank you!! :) There's something about the textures even when they were covered in pests that I loved, when I saw the ebay listing I immediately knew I had to have it. I had no idea it would turn into this though! It's really suprised me how quickly things have been transformed.

The tank is amazing, the amount of colour and diversity you’ve managed to squeeze in to that aquarium is impressive.

Love the shrimp and goby pair!
Thank you Conort :)))))) Squeezed in is it 100%, there's just so many wonderful seaweeds, corals and creatures to keep! I am slowly down a lot now though, there's not much space left alas. Dreaming of a 150cm tank one day...

The shrimp and goby pair are amazing, I can't believe they set up shop front and center. Very entertaining creatures, and my goby seems to be growing a long dorsal fin now too :)

Beautiful! Excited to see it soon. 😃
Thanks George, looking forward to it!

Absolutely stunning Rosie!! 😍
Thank you Wookii! :)

Stunning! Absolutely amazing!
Thanks Hydrophyte, I love your tanks!! So many amazing ripariums 😍

About a month ago our car broke down, which cut off my access to salt water. I've been quite nervous with this tank and only bought water monthly from my LFS as the salt-mixing process intimidated me. During this time of no water changes for 2 months (I had been due to get water right before the car broke down), 2 of my pipe fish died :( They just disappeared, the cleanup crew is doing a great job. I immediately ordered a big bucket of salt, and as soon as the car was back last week we got loads of RO and I did a big waterchange this weekend. The whole tank just feels much better now, and I've realised it's actually really easy to mix saltwater! I have been doing 20% water changes every month, I think I'm gonna do that every two weeks from now on. It's also much cheaper, about 1/4 of the price of LFS water. I know quite a few macroalgae-tank keepers who almost never change their water, but it definitely makes a difference, even if you're dosing to replace.

I've also lost some other fish recently for different reasons, I thought I'd document that too to show the reality of keeping this tank.

The fish first death happened in January due to a peppermint shrimp, who ate the tentacles of my rock flower anemone. The RFA looked bad, and I spent a few hours catching the two peppermints with various methods to return to the LFS. I left 1/3 of my lid off the tank for 3 hours to fit in a plastic bottle trap, and during that time my lovely yellow midas blenny jumped :( I returned the peppermints, and then the rock flower anemone died from it's shrimp-injuries several days later. Peppermints are really useful for eating aiptasia, I missed that they'll eat your decorative anemones too.

IMG_0552_smaller.jpg
IMG_0449_smaller.jpg

Peppermint shrimp left, midas blenny right

The second death was in late Feb. I bought a stunning pair of red scooter dragonettes at my LFS which were ordered in for me for my birthday. I did think the male looked a bit thin, but at the LFS they showed them eating frozen well in the tank and said they'd be fine. Well, the male disppeared a week later, I'm pretty sure from starvation cos he was too far gone. The female is doing well and has put on lots of weight. I'm not sure if I will buy a new male, if I do it'll have to be a really fat one that's been in a shop for a good while, and I won't order in fish again. I don't like the pressure to buy it no matter the condition.

IMG_0741.jpg

The surviving female red scooter dragonet and I suspect disappeared sailfin blenny

The third was also recently. In Feb I also got a second sailfin blenny, which in the shop had a small fin and was pale grey, indicating a female. I know two other people who keep trios of these sailfin blennies, and I wanted to try that for more interesting behaviour. I got it home and immediately he turned black, and within a month the fin was the same size as my original male. They displayed to eachother and intimidated each other a lot, then lived either side of the tank for a while, and within the past two weeks I only seem to have one now. I think it's the newer one which likes to hide in holes, which the original didn't. I suspect that he jumped out, but haven't found anything yet. I think if I wanted to do this agian, I'd be much more picky about working out what's a female, and I'd put them all in a new tank together.

Invert-wise, I've lost three things - a crinoid squat lobster, and two glass shrimp. I ordered the crinoid squat lobster online last Autumn. It arrived alive, but the weather had been unexpectedly cold (this was in Autumn). Never order your creatures when it's cold, even with heat packs you never know - way better to get only from the LFS during Autumn, Winter and early Spring. Since then I've bought 2 more crinoid squat lobsters from my LFS, and even though they are much smaller they've survived and are doing well. I have kept 3 glass shrimp so far, and two have jumped out!! The first the same day as the midas blenny, and the second with the lid ON somehow. No idea why, but they seem to be particularly jumpy, even though they are stunning I wouldn't buy them again. I've also lost a few feather duster worms, the ones I lost didn't have a rock or solid anchor to hold them in place, they seem to need stability to thrive.​

Attachments

• IMG_0552_smaller.jpg
    IMG_0552_smaller.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 92
It's always disappointing to loose livestock, but thank you for sharing your experiences. "Warts 'n' all" journals are always the best for sharing learnings, and helping us all develop as aquarists. Your marine aquarium is stunning and it's very evident that you've devoted a lot of time and energy to its creation and care.

Sorry to hear about the losses! I don't know if it's because there's more focus on individual fish in saltwater but their deaths seem more...not significant but something adjacent to that.

But it's good to show the balance of things and will positively inform your next movements.
They do feel more significant to me too, all the saltwater fish I've kept have main character energy, so much personality and a real look of consciousness in their eyes. It's more like when an apisto died to me, which was always terrible. Each time it is very upsetting, but I don't want to hide it either - as you say, each time it informs me of what not to do again and how I can improve and make a good long life for the rest of my creatures.

Some time soon I'll highlight more of my creatures and their stories which are really thriving with no issues, which is most of them!

It's always disappointing to loose livestock, but thank you for sharing your experiences. "Warts 'n' all" journals are always the best for sharing learnings, and helping us all develop as aquarists. Your marine aquarium is stunning and it's very evident that you've devoted a lot of time and energy to its creation and care.
Thank you Tim <3 As with all my journals, I want to share the high and the lows, every mistake or thing to go wrong is a learning experience for me, and hopefully for others too. I don't want to give the wrong impression that it's all ups and no downs, even though I do think it's worth it. Perhaps one day I'll achieve that mythical perfect-with-no-issues tank, but it's not happened yet!

How are you checking the specific gravity Rosie? Could it be that this is the cause of your unexplained deaths?
I have been yeah, it’s always at .25, maybe raises to .27 tops. I check it and top up twice a week as it’s not much water + super easy with the hydrometer. My cats drink from my freshwater tanks draining them, so all the tanks get an appropriate topoff of RO regularly together 😅

Back