• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'The Full Monty' Has Left The Building last photos

Some lovely Discus here. Nice to see them in a properly decorated tank, too.

Hi all,
The red wild type Discus are lovely. I much prefer the look of these to any of the bred colour forms.
Anyone care to tell me what this is and what it might look like if it flowers?
Looks like an <"Echinodorus flower spike">. Presumably one with a red leaf (like Echinodorus "Rubin" or "Special Red").

Mick.Dk should be able to give ou a definitive ID.

I assume the flower will be 3 petalled and white in a raceme.

cheers Darrel

Some lovely Discus here. Nice to see them in a properly decorated tank, too.

Hi Jaybles, I agree it is great seeing them in a natural planted situation, although some could say this is not exactly the biotope where you would expect to see discus in. I am hoping to see a pairing between two of them and when they spawn you know for definite you are doing something right.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Jaybles, I agree it is great seeing them in a natural planted situation, although some could say this is not exactly the biotope where you would expect to see discus in. I am hoping to see a pairing between two of them and when they spawn you know for definite you are doing something right.

Cheers,

Steve

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the typical Discus tank.

Me neither, most of them always seem to look a bit dark and gloomy, sandy bottoms, dark yellow to brown water leaves floating about on the bottom. It maybe natural but doesn't always make for great viewing, so I try to compromise. They seem happy enough at the moment. Just about to post something on a different section on Reverse Osmosis water and the relation toTDS.

Cheers,

Steve.

Some photos of the discus taken with my phone yesterday.

WP_000066_zpsvicz1usx.jpg

DSC02683_zpsinrmrxnk.jpg

WP_000067_zpsermbq3vp.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers Rahms,

Uploading the pictures to Photobucket or Flickr can be a pain but I dont know any other way of doing it.

Good luck with the new project.
Steve

Morning. Just want to chime in here about photos. I've used every service and highly recommend http://imgur.com/ This truly is the best for uploading and posting to a forum. After you upload, on the right side at the bottom you choose the size you want to post. Above that is a selection of links pertaining to what "site" you want to post for..."forums" ect. You copy the link and thats it. Easy Easy Easy. Check it out.

Redsteveo, firstly thanks for an entertaining and informative read. I located your thread via a google search as I was researching the potential for using the Incipiria 400 marine for an identical project to yours (planted discus). I've kept them a number of years ago but have for the last 6 years focused on Malawi CIchlids. My question relates not to the fish but the adaptability and suitability of the incipiria 400. My tank will be located in my living room which is on the first floor above my garage and I intend to have the sump filtration system (about another 600 ltrs) located in the garage. I have a Deltec variable wattage/ flow pump which will ce with the head (4m plus friction) between the garage and the tank in the living room above. I have two 250 ltr potable water tanks that for part of the sump system which to which I can alternate my HMA water feed, for semi automated wateri changes, as the wife (out of concern for the carpet) and my back can no longer cope with lugging barrels of water up to the living room. The incipiria tanks inlets / outlets are designed around Eheims 12/16 tubing (I believe) and the holes in the base of the glass only 19mm (I think). As such I'm concerned that I may only get a turn over of 1 - 1.5 tank volumes an hour, limited by the weir and the two gravity drainage tubes set up to run silently. What are your experiences on turn over rates etc please? I know your using a filter and had issues with media quantity but do you get sufficient flow via the single small ID drain? Thanks again for a great thread.

Hi Cooperman,
Firstly welcome to the forum, I think you will find everything you need here, and thanks for the kind comments on my journal.

Basically I had the ID drain capped off so I don't use it. I don't have a sump system, I use the dry weir to hide all my pipes and cables etc so there is as little hardware visible as possible. what I can tell you is that there is enough room to fit four lots of 22mm Eheim tubing through the drilled hole at the base of the weir. From these I run two Eheim filters, a big T3 thermal filter and a Professional 2 filter that the co2 is pumped through. There is still room for all the cables for my lights and the Twinstar.

Good luck with the project and I look forward to seeing it on the Ukaps forum.

Steve

Hi All,

As nearly always happens, through our devoted attention in trying to get our plants to grow, if and when we are successful in what ever methods we employ, EI or no EI, Co2 or no Co2, high tech light, low light tech, etc. eventually the tank reaches a stage where it has reached what I call its, 'Critical Mass'

This is the point where the tank in terms of its appearance has reached its optimum level. The problem is that this stage is only sustainable for so long before some changes have to be made. This could involve removing plants altogether (which I try to avoid if possible) or sessions of pruning and trimming to keep everything in check. Once pruning begins we can find ourselves looking at a tank that bears no resemblance to how it looked before pruning, so I try to do it in stages and asses after a day or two what still needs to be done, rather than chop it all out and then think...mmmm maybe I should not have cut that bit off!

This week I decided it was time to do some pruning and cutting back, not just because the plants had reached 'Critical Mass' but because aesthetically the balance of what was growing was starting to look out of proportion; and the space for my Discus fish to swim freely about was getting less and less.

Well after the first pruning at the weekend I decided a bit more was neccessary, and last night I set about it. Carried out a big water change at the same time, cleaned the glass, all the usual maintenance...

And what is the point of all this rambling I hear you ask......?

Well, DADADADADADAERAAAA!! I discovered I had some new occupants in my tank that I didn't even know were there! Aaaahh they are so cute I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them, so far I have only seen about five of them.

So I grabbed my camera and took some photos, very poor photos I might add as the little beggars would not keep still long enough or come close enough to get a good shot. So I have started uploading the photos to photobucket and will be posting them here soon!

Can you guess what they are yet?

Cheers,

Steve.

Aaaww sorry guys, I have just looked at the photos on Photobucket and they are so crap I am almost too ashamed to post them on here, but here goes anyway.

Hard to spot but this one is sat right in the middle of the green plant in the centre of the picture. Sorry its a bit blurred but for the sharp eyed you can just about make out what it is...

DSC02699_zpskrxby6i5.jpg

DSC02696_zpsmks2c8ey.jpg

The juvenile delinquents are actually just over half an inch in size, so they have obviously been in there for some time, maybe a month or so. And I have no idea how many eggs the parents must have laid for these five to have survived.

I have got five adult Corydorus Julii and although I have seen them chasing each other around occaisionally I have never seen any eggs; and I was thinking about putting half a coconut shell in there somewhere just in case they wanted somewhere to lay their eggs. I have got two rather large chocolate plecs which may have hoovered up a lot of the eggs. I will be removing the plecs and replacing them with two smaller ones. The large ones are about 5 to 6 inches and if anyone wants them they can have them for free, collection only though!

Below is a link to a website which shows pictures of what the adult Corydorus Julii look like if anyone is interested.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...NFH6h8M52Rss72XaWOk96qOj77tL3KNXTUbMVZohoRw44

Here are two pictures of the plant that shot out a long stalk and has since produced three more plants on the end of it which I will be removing soon, free of charge to anyone who can collect them. I was hoping for some white flowers but no joy, although the buds are there.

DSC02698_zpsbnp20bj3.jpg

DSC02697_zpsn01mk3nd.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Steve.

Back