• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'The Full Monty' Has Left The Building last photos

Incidentally I also had a conversation with Ryan from Charterhouse Aquatics on the subject of Ammonia, as we all know the ADA Amazonia leaches or produces a lot of Ammonia over the first few weeks and the level is off the scale at the moment. Ryan was suggesting that as long as there are no plants or livestock in the aquarium I shouldn't be in too much of a rush to start doing massive water changes just yet, just let the bacteria build up in the filters and let them do the work of converting the ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate (if I have got that the right way around)

Any views...

Ceg?

Too much media in the filter. Way too much. Flow will suffer.

You need to stop using test kits. I can see that the mind control programming has already begun.

I always do water changes because it helps to clarify the water of all the junk and debris, biofilm on the glass and so forth, but that's up to you. Ammonia kills bacteria so I see no profit in allowing the concentrations to build.

Cheers,

Too much media in the filter. Way too much. Flow will suffer.

You need to stop using test kits. I can see that the mind control programming has already begun.

I always do water changes because it helps to clarify the water of all the junk and debris, biofilm on the glass and so forth, but that's up to you. Ammonia kills bacteria so I see no profit in allowing the concentrations to build.

Cheers,

Hi Ceg,

After reading and digesting all your previous articles on dry Ferts etc I stopped using testing kits years ago. Once the tank is established it is easy to tell if everything is fine just by using the eye, if the fish are healthy and eating well and the plants are growing with no algae problems then no worries.

The only reason I'm using an Ammonia test kit is so that I can tell when the levels have dropped to a safe enough level to start the planting or adding any livestock. I am pretty sure any fish would not survive the Ammonia soup I have got at the moment.

Water is crystal clear now...

Cheers,
Steve.[DOUBLEPOST=1407272152][/DOUBLEPOST]
the giesemann powerchrome midday have a good rendition for plants :)

I am looking at these now as an alternative to the Eheim Tubes..

You don't need to use any test kit to determine when to plant. You should have planted immediately. Ammonia test kits are just as flawed as NO3 test kits so you really have no idea what the ammonia values are anyway. Plant, do your water changes and wait 6-8 weeks before adding fauna. This then becomes automatic.

Cheers,

Hi all,

Just a few photo updates following some water changes and stuff...

Water still a bit cloudy with a sort of brown tinge to it...

DSC019231280x960_zps6d7dc0d8.jpg

DSC019241280x960_zps1e1ba4e2.jpg

Testing the Co2 which is being pumped in from the Eheim 2 Professional Filter via an inline diffuser

DSC019261280x960_zps1e61e138.jpg

Not sure if this will cause my Discus some problems with it being pumped in this fine...

DSC019271280x960_zps890018aa.jpg

During a large water change...

DSC019281280x960_zpsd5877e49.jpg

Looking a lot clearer today...

DSC019221280x960_zps63881b42.jpg

DSC019291280x960_zps4af3cfcf.jpg

Ammonia levels dropping, will check again tonight to see what they are...

Steve.

I would have liked to have seen your original wood as, to me, the wood seems too small and will quickly be hidden by plants.

I would have liked to have seen your original wood as, to me, the wood seems too small and will quickly be hidden by plants.

Hi Edvet...the wood was huge...I overestimated the sizes originally, if I had put even half of it in and the rocks I had there would have been no room left fro planting and not much swimming space for the fish...

I intend to only plant low growing grass and Monte Carlo on and around the hillock with the other plants to the left. I am trying to find time to do a diagram which I'll post later...

A few big water changes done...Ammonia 0.3mg/l at the moment...

that wood on the right side look out of place

Hi there, yes you are absolutely right it does look out of place. To be honest all of them do, they are just in place until I start my planting in a few weeks time. I can adjust them once I have got the Fissidens Moss tied to them and the rest of the plants are in place.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
Discus are the same as any other fish. The larger the fish the more affected they are by hypercapnia. You just have to be careful when you add CO2. Start with very low light so that you can use very low CO2 and then work your way up.

Cheers,

Just read the whole post. Can't wait to see this planted and with livestock.
The tank is gorgeous and so clean!! Awesome setup :)
Thanks for the awesome read!
Matt.

No updates for a while sorry...but here is something to look forward to for now...

45c9cc6b-25c7-4d77-8770-e8c02538a594_zpsae21a6a7.jpg

These are the fish I am planning to put in this setup...

dc338174-27a0-49e1-8871-419356763444_zps5c48ea2b.jpg

Planting is going to be different than that in the photo...see early on in the journal for the plant list...

Steve

Last edited:
If you also want to get some Tetras or other smaller fish like that in your tank I would suggest to get those first, let them grow a bit larger before adding Discus. All I know (from my brother who keeps Discus for years) is that they like it hot (28-30 Celcius) and some plants we often use don't like it that hot, so watch out that you don't end up with melting plants.

Back