• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Songs from the Man Cave!

I have Harvest,sorry Neil great album if commercial,on CD and Harvest Moon, but will check out more of his 70s catalogue less known
Yes, Harvest is great and I like it too. Same (but a bit less) for Harvest Moon. But they are by no means his best work. I am working on the principle that you can appreciate all styles of music, not just Country Rock.

Recommended albums from the 1970's in chronological order:
After the Goldrush (pre Harvest, young Neil at his best)
On the Beach (difficult and sad/melancholy but also beautiful)
Zuma (the new version of Crazy Horse, the band is back together!)
Rust Never Sleeps (lots of things, but including Neil addressing the emergence of punk in the late 70's)

If you want to go back to the 1960's then 'Everybody Knows This is Nowhere' (1969) is on the same level as the records mentioned above, and features the original Crazy Horse including Danny Whitten on guitar whose death was the reason behind 'The Needle and the Damage Done' off of Harvest.

1975's 'Tonight's the Night' is in some ways the best Neil Young album but is very difficult and raw. It is more or less a live (in the rehearsal space) recording of a wake for his dead friends who overdosed on heroin.

Cortez the Killer (from Zuma)

OK, OK, OK. Ill chime in.

Hi all,
There's a lesson in how deliver vocal for today's music "stars"
That is musical greatness.

Lead vocal by Levi Stubbs (made to sing at the top of his vocal range), song written, arranged and produced by <"Holland, Dozier, Holland">* and with the Funk Brothers <"Standing in the Shadows of Motown - Wikipedia"> as the session musicians, it doesn't come much better than that.
...... The Funk Brothers produced more hits than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys and Elvis Presley combined.

*Lamont Dozier, who gets a few mentions is this thread <"Songs from the Man Cave!">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I saw Terry Reid at the Jazz Cafe last week and was absolutely blown away - a superb performance by a man who should have been a household name. Sound is kind of soul/folk/blues/country/rock. Yep, just good music, labels are pretty irrelevant here. He is in his seventies and played for two and a half hours, making up the setlist as he went along, and wanted to play longer - amazing - he seemed to really feed off the reaction from the audience thus creating a positive feedback loop. I used to see a lot of gigs in the late 80's through the 90's and the 2000's so believe me when I say this man is special.

The famous story is that as a 19 year old he turned down Jimmy Page to be the lead singer in Led Zep because he was already booked to go on a US tour supporting the Rolling Stones, and suggested he check out an unknown guy called Robert Plant instead. It is not very often you get the opportunity to see someone this talented, with a great band behind him, in an intimate venue like this. Still a few dates left on the tour, cannot recommend it highly enough. @dw1305 I know you are in the southwest, he is playing Bristol Beacon on Sunday 6th October if that is anywhere near you, and for anyone else he still has gigs in Newcastle, York, Birmingham and Putney. Even if you are not very familiar with his original songs it does not matter as he plays plenty of cover versions also.

Some pictures I took:
IMG_20240924_203730.jpgIMG_20240924_204510.jpgIMG_20240925_195813.jpg

A video from last year playing 'It Makes No Difference':

Attachments

• IMG_20240924_203730.jpg
    IMG_20240924_203730.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 0
Back