• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

I've got one of those in flower at the moment as well @foxfish , it flowers this time every year. It's a rhipsalis but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Edit, Rhipsalis pilocarpa Rhipsalis pilocarpa | hairy-fruited wickerware cactus Conservatory Greenhouse/RHS Gardening
OK thanks, I bought a pot from B&Q last year and it has grown like a weed, the one in the picture is just a cutting that I hung up to see what would happen.
I have a feeling it will really take off this coming year, no heat just in my outdoor party house.

5E9C340A-DD7A-42D5-A424-DE4D31CD440D.jpeg

My hybrid brassia is my only orchid currently in flower.

OK thanks, I bought a pot from B&Q last year and it has grown like a weed, the one in the picture is just a cutting that I hung up to see what would happen.
I have a feeling it will really take off this coming year, no heat just in my outdoor party house.

I have 5-6 different rhipsalis, all grown from tiny cuttings and they all grow like weeds.

There is an orchid festival in Kew gardens that starts today, if anyone lives up that way. Would be a great day out for anyone who likes orchids.

There is an orchid festival in Kew gardens that starts today, if anyone lives up that way. Would be a great day out for anyone who likes orchids.

They have one every year. It’s spectacular.

I must admit @Hufsa i'm normally a fan of the more subtle flowers but that one did stand out to me. I remember buying my mum a, what i thought was interesting, more wild type mottled flower yellow and brown species and the first thing she did was chop off all the flowers because she assumed it had gone over.

a few more from this year, all cheap bargain plants that needed tlc. Never paid more than a fiver for an orchid and the big flower one was cheaper than what i used for scale:)

IMG_2726.jpg
Raw01456.jpg
Raw01498.jpg
IMG_2722.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg

I think we have had it for a few years now Darrel and perhaps the key is my ability to forget to water things and complete ignorance in how to care for it. Tbh I didn't know it was troublesome until you said (didn't mean to post it either but must've got carried away). Now I know I'll probably kill it.

Hi all,
Apologies, because it is another couple of non-orchids, but these are "Scarborough "Lily"" (<"Cyrtanthus elatus"> formerly Vallota speciosa), at present in the tea room at work.

The Scarborough Lily is fantastically inappropriately named, because it is both S. African and an Amaryllid, but it is great house plant for a sunny window and virtually impossible to kill.

Cyrtanthus_elatus_Sept2022.jpg

And a <"Lipstick vine"> (Aeschynanthus radicans). The Lipstick Vine is actually my "cuttings pot" from earlier in the year, but I've failed to pot them on. These are a lot easier to kill, so it is worth having a spare.

Aeschynanthus_Sept2022.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back