• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

Hi all,
Bit of a <"sad update on this one">. I've lost my Pleione. The leaves died off a bit earlier than I was expecting in 2022, but I didn't think anything off it. I don't water them through the winter, so it was only about a month ago that I went to repot them and found their weren't any pseudobulbs or any trace of them. I've still got the Azalea.

Azalea2023a.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I don't know what variety it is, it was a remaindered bulb, bought after christmas in the supermarket. I've had it for ~10 years, and it has had to put up with a fair bit of neglect (and being eaten by Large Narcissus Bulb fly).
This is 2023's incarnation. It has had another run in with the <"Large Narcissus Bulb fly"> since 2019, but that has meant that it now has two flowering size bulbs.

Hippeastrum2023a.jpg

cheers Darrel

Mini Orchids
Not in the same league as the plants on here, at least I ain't killed them with kindness Yet! :inpain:
Yellow Orchid 2nd year flowering...after re-potting with sphagnum moss only.
Purple Orchid I will re-pot when it stops flowering!

Mini Yellow Orchid 28th July 2023.jpg

Mini Purple Orchid 28th July 2023.jpg

hoggie

Last edited:
@foxfish Wow! Do you get them to flower every year?
Yes, in fact they both flower three or four times a year but always punctual for Christmas!
The closer one is probably 40 years old, the other one is only about 5-6 years old.
The older one has huge thick stems and I trim it regularly throughout the summer, the other one had yet to be trimmed.
Both live in hard cat litter, they are outside from April to October, I spray every day with rain water if it is not raining. In the winter they come inside my unheated conservatory, I still spray every day.
I feed them with liquid feed in a spray bottle throughout the summer and add a little chicken manure to the pots in April.

Just wanted to show you this little surprise. Last year my paphiopedilum callosum had a double bloom (an old picture below) and one of the spikes just didn't seem to die off. I was hoping for seeds but didn't really believe it. But today the pod burst open!

This is probably the end of it since I don't know anything about flasking!

IMG_3356.jpg 882A180B-6178-4A2A-AA62-0A48DE7CD34D.JPG IMG_3631.jpg

Hi all,
and one of the spikes just didn't seem to die off. I was hoping for seeds but didn't really believe it. But today the pod burst open!
It must have been pollinated.
This is probably the end of it since I don't know anything about flasking!
I'd try sowing them in the pot with the mature plant. It probably won't work, but you don't have anything to lose.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It must have been pollinated.

I'd try sowing them in the pot with the mature plant. It probably won't work, but you don't have anything to lose.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the tip, I did that. At least it makes me feel much better than just throwing them away.

Back