• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remanso . . .

Livestock updates on this tank, I never thought I’d see the day!

All good things come to those who wait mate! 😂

Looking very good mate, this will be a cracker once it settles down.

Thank you, I’m really enjoying the way it’s starting to evolve.

Have you checked with pier aquatics? I’m sure they have otocinclus cocama in stock at the moment.

I emailed Pier asking after the Corydoras (Aspidoras) Pauciradiatus and never got a reply - I will drop them another line about the Cocama and see if I get a response this time. 👍🏻

Cool plant choices! I'll be interested to hear how the Marsh Marigold does. I've grown a couple of different Cyperus like this emergent in riparium planters and they did very well. They do however need vertical space to reach up. They tend to grow twice as tall under artificial lighting in comparison with natural sunlight outdoors.

Thanks mate - I’ll post an update pics later this weekend, the emersed pots are starting to take off - the Hydrocotyle Verticillata in particular has gone crazy and will need thinning out soon.

emailed Pier asking after the Corydoras (Aspidoras) Pauciradiatus and never got a reply - I will drop them another line about the Cocama and see if I get a response this time.
Sometimes they respond to
Emails straight away, sometimes I get no response.

Might be worth giving them a call in the week when it’s a bit quieter.

Still haven’t managed a decent FTS @bazz so hopefully some of the emersed pots for @hydrophyte will suffice until I do . . .

Growth is really taking off and the pots are putting out both emersed and submerged growth:

IMG_4215.jpeg

Even the Super Red that I thought was a goner as it had turned to a dry crisp, has put out several stems, but it is the Verticillata that’s going mad both above and below water.

IMG_4216.jpeg

Trying to capture an image of both above and below water growth is interesting (inspired somewhat by the image in my opening post of this thread) - not as good as in person, but you get the idea . . .

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

The behaviour of the shrimp in this tank has been really interesting. When I added them all to the tank initially they all stayed firmly nailed to the substrate, not venturing any higher. The Tangerines, as I mentioned before, completely hid for a week - I thought they were all dead - and slowly started to show themselves.

Now, several weeks later and all the shrimp are out and about, buzzing all over the place and free swimming in the water column - it looks like a real hive of activity now.

I’ve also spotted at least two berried females Tangerines, and several of the Black Rose’s look to be heavily saddled (though you can’t see eggs due to their dark colouration), which is a great result:

IMG_4210.jpeg

So fingers crossed there’ll be a flood of shrimplets soon- then once they are above mouth size, I can finally start adding fish!

Coming on nicely @Wookii - great looking tank, love the transition between submerged and emersed growth and looks like you’ve sorted out that hair algae

Coming on nicely @Wookii - great looking tank, love the transition between submerged and emersed growth and looks like you’ve sorted out that hair algae

Thanks Steve - the hair algae isn't 100% sorted yet, but its declined significantly. Some patches I've intentionally not touched so I can monitor its growth or decline, and they are gradually reducing each week on their own. I think it's also now helping that the shrimp and snails are covering all areas of the tank, and likely eating those microscopic bits of algae growth I can't even see yet, before it ever gets chance to become an issue.

I've also seen the largest female Amano chowing down on some of the larger algae strands too, which is good now, but does make me fear a little for some of my mosses later on, particularly the Miroshaki which I've caught them eating in another tank in the past.

Last edited:
Touch! The fish from there are always in top condition so they should be well fed and acclimatised to captive life already.

Good to know after my disastrous experience with Abyss!

They couldn't help me out with any of the other rarer fish on my list unfortunately, though did say they might be able to get some Pangio cuneovirgata as an alternative to the Pangio alternans.

The Corydoras (Aspidoras) pauciradiatus is proving impossible to source - a place in Dudley (Sedgley Aquatics) had some last year, but they didn't have any currently, and haven't been able to source any since. I may have to resign myself to just having some more Habrosus.

The Corydoras (Aspidoras) pauciradiatus is proving impossible to source
It's a long shot but one of the forum sponsors @FinestAquatics had some in stock last April, maybe they could source them again?

Screenshot_20230720_165545_Chrome.jpg

It's a long shot but one of the forum sponsors @FinestAquatics had some in stock last April, maybe they could source them again?

View attachment 208514

Thanks John - I did see that, and have emailed them, but that list is from 2022 so who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wildwoods have got back to me and said they should be able to get them too 👍🏻

Looks like it could explode at any given minute! :)

Lol Yeah, that is one of the tubbier ones - but I think its fairly common for some to be like that judging from the videos I've seen whilst researching them, and they all have fairly rounded bellies - though me overdoing the Bug-Bites is also a possibility too - it's hard to judge quantities when you have shrimp swarming on the food, and don't see the fish feed.

Not sure if this qualifies for the worlds smallest Echinodorus . . .

This is an Echinodorus Purpurea I had in my old tank before moving house. It originally looked like this:

c74b0d38-0bda-40b5-8460-495bd4230fda-jpeg.jpg

But it got stuffed at the back of a holding tank for the last year, floating and unplanted, and gradually declined to the point that when I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago from a tangled mass of Bolbitis, it was little more than a rooted stump with a couple of rotting leaves remaining.

As the roots and main rosette still looked healthy, I decided to trim the roots down, pull off the remaining leaves, and stick it in the sand to see what happened.

. . . . and where there was death, now there is life - new leaves at about 20mm long:

IMG_4237.jpeg

Last edited:
Back