• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Stunning scape Ady, looks amazing and only just planted! I like the idea of all epiphyte plants.

I found H.pinitifada a bit fussy, it grows for me but old leaves go tatty. Think I’m not mean enough with my pruning. Seems people have success with it and ADA ferts regimes.

What are you using to film? Very nice steady footage. Good work T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stunning scape Ady, looks amazing and only just planted! I like the idea of all epiphyte plants.

I found H.pinitifada a bit fussy, it grows for me but old leaves go tatty. Think I’m not mean enough with my pruning. Seems people have success with it and ADA ferts regimes.

What are you using to film? Very nice steady footage. Good work T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks T, although there are a couple of non epiphyte plants now in the form of some cryptocoryne balansae, ludwigia red and cyperus halfeiri which may or may not stay.
Will monitor the pinnatifida and see how it goes, tbh I’m nervous about all the plants at the minute :nailbiting:
Filming wise it’s just my hands round my iPhone 8 :snaphappy:.

FTS, some new fish added today.....seems I need to clean some glassware and switch the lamp off when I take photos :p

47A76036-1EAA-4DF6-A9DF-7E58B0979705.jpeg

Cheerio,

Awesome journey so far :cool:

What are your fish plans?
First group seems to be going for subtle

Please don’t say cardinals/neons ... there are so many amazing tetras (and other species groups) out there
- I used to love cardinals back when they were wild caught, now the farmed fish (which look to have some mixed ancestry) are going now the (inbred) neon path :(

(I help a friend with fish shipments so I see a lot of fish :wideyed:)

Re Twinstar Nano system - Green Aqua (who run these in their shop and client tanks) suggests an overall improved plant health (in terms of reduced algae) of 5-10%

I feel they’re especially useful if you’re away from the tank as that additional oxygen can help protect livestock from CO2 related issues

I’ve a Twinstar Nano I bought when I “woke up” my tanks after a few years hiatus - it sits in the cupboard now as I felt it was time for a replacement disc but no local distributors any longer and I refused to pay the shipping fees ... I did love the smoke in water effect
And it’s useful for looking at (daily) flow within the tank

(don’t ask what they looked like :eek::oops::oops::oops: :sorry::sorry:)

but I don't think either would survive a drop test :D
Mine has :lol:
Several :oops:

I do think it makes a difference in (algae) an Iwagumi type set up where you don’t want to add any fast growing stems

Awesome journey so far :cool:

What are your fish plans?
First group seems to be going for subtle

Please don’t say cardinals/neons ... there are so many amazing tetras (and other species groups) out there
- I used to love cardinals back when they were wild caught, now the farmed fish (which look to have some mixed ancestry) are going now the (inbred) neon path :(

(I help a friend with fish shipments so I see a lot of fish :wideyed:)
No not neons or cardinals. I love cardinals in particular but knew I didn’t want them in this scape. I wanted gold/platinum tetras (Hemigrammus rodwayi) and yesterday bought the remaining 19 from my local Maidenhead Aquatics for a great price. Ideally I wanted around 40 but I can add to the group when I find more. I love the subtlety yet beauty of these little fish. My son has 5 in his small tank and after seeing them I knew I had to have some. Perhaps I will add another 1 or 2 groups but unsure currently.
Penguin tetra have always been an interesting and active schooling fish for the upper regions, and rummynose for the lower but I’m not certain yet. I have had rummynoses frequently also so may look for something different. I do love the Paraguay tetra but they can be a bit feisty and I also love moenkhausia costae. I think I want to avoid deeper bodied tetras and although I love pencilfish, I have found they are jumpers and don’t want them to die a nasty death.

Re Twinstar Nano system - Green Aqua (who run these in their shop and client tanks) suggests an overall improved plant health (in terms of reduced algae) of 5-10%

I feel they’re especially useful if you’re away from the tank as that additional oxygen can help protect livestock from CO2 related issues

I’ve a Twinstar Nano I bought when I “woke up” my tanks after a few years hiatus - it sits in the cupboard now as I felt it was time for a replacement disc but no local distributors any longer and I refused to pay the shipping fees ... I did love the smoke in water effect
And it’s useful for looking at (daily) flow within the tank

(don’t ask what they looked like :eek::oops::oops::oops: :sorry::sorry:)

I do think it makes a difference in (algae) an Iwagumi type set up where you don’t want to add any fast growing stems
Thanks for the info, I want one simply for oxygenating benefits, anything else is a bonus.
I have just ordered a 4th generation chihiros from China so will look forward to seeing it in action when it arrives.

This is looking super nice!
Cheers Scapegoat :thumbup:

8EE15A5D-8EBA-447F-9D5D-1330F598AFCF.jpeg

Cheerio,
Ady

Last edited:
Perhaps I will add another 1 or 2 groups but unsure currently
Very nice fish choice Ady, I guess that's the beauty of a tank that size you can have several groups of different species; it's one of the reasons I always admired Amano's larger scapes.
Butter fingers :p

wanted gold/platinum tetras (Hemigrammus rodwayi)
If you find a larger shipment of wild caught (very gold), there are often 2-3 species, including a smaller (adult) sized fish with brilliant purple/green lateral stripe - they are lovely fish

Recently I picked up a white fin ornatus tetra that has very interesting behaviour - lots of display and slow shoaling movements, you said you didn’t want any of the deeper body tetras but wild caught (or more recent imports) tend to much slimmer body
Example
https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-archives/hyphessobrycon-copelandi/

If you watch the various videos from Interzoo 2018 tanks with Ruinemans Aquarium stock George Farmer and Filipe Oliveira Youtube channels) there are some rather nice fish to be seen

If you find a larger shipment of wild caught (very gold), there are often 2-3 species, including a smaller (adult) sized fish with brilliant purple/green lateral stripe - they are lovely fish

Recently I picked up a white fin ornatus tetra that has very interesting behaviour - lots of display and slow shoaling movements, you said you didn’t want any of the deeper body tetras but wild caught (or more recent imports) tend to much slimmer body
Example
https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-archives/hyphessobrycon-copelandi/

If you watch the various videos from Interzoo 2018 tanks with Ruinemans Aquarium stock George Farmer and Filipe Oliveira Youtube channels) there are some rather nice fish to be seen
The gold tetra I have had been in the shop for a long time so are more silver. I think it is a diet thing that maintains the gold? These are lovely fish, they have a blue tinge to the lateral line with great iridescence. Pictures don’t really capture it nor do videos but they really do shine under the light with flashes of sheen.....

D981B3BB-C8C9-424B-8F28-E9DB701B09EE.png

I used to have some white fin bentosi tetra that were really interesting to watch spar, they were great fish but definitely best in their juvenile form and under a red bias light.....

CBD200E9-3871-4520-835C-113C4AB40E04.jpeg

Thanks for the comments, all food for thought. I really liked these but fear for small fish and shrimp and also I’m pretty sure they will take flight: hemiodus gracilis

D48683A3-904C-4985-8453-AB6EE1778F88.jpeg

Cheerio,

I think it is a diet thing that maintains the gold?
It’s thought to be a parasite that’s leads to the laying down of the “gold” skin component - it’s observed in almost all wild tetras to some degree ... obviously not to the extent of the “gold” tetras
(I’ve no idea if this is locational or genetic predisposition)

Even among wild caught “gold” tetras the degree of metallic gold varies, my last shoal which I purchased as very small juveniles, were just as “brassy” a year on - though obviously much larger fish than initially

I’ve also heard that the degree of gold wanes, yet I observed the opposite ...

I agree Hemiodus gracilis looks grand, a large enough shoal of gold tetras may fare well (as long as they aren’t seen as prey) as they seem quite confident

Slightly smaller and reputed to be quite well behaved
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sahyadria-denisonii/

I suspect both larger fish will be more respectful of their smaller tankmates if the tetras are well established, then add quite small juveniles of the larger species and ensure a sufficiently sized group for normal antics to remain focused inside the group

Shrimp will be predated regardless

Love the gold tetra! Tank is looking very nice, can't wait to see it grows.
Me too, I keep forgetting it’s only been a week and I’m wanting everything settled, adapted and full already :hilarious:

That is one stunning tank you've got, congratulations. I can completely see how one would be sitting in front of it for hours just looking at everything that's going on in there. Very curious to see how it grows in.

Slightly off topic: that glassware inlet I've seen a couple of times now, does anyone know whether they are available in The Netherlands somewhere?

It’s thought to be a parasite that’s leads to the laying down of the “gold” skin component - it’s observed in almost all wild tetras to some degree ... obviously not to the extent of the “gold” tetras
(I’ve no idea if this is locational or genetic predisposition)

Even among wild caught “gold” tetras the degree of metallic gold varies, my last shoal which I purchased as very small juveniles, were just as “brassy” a year on - though obviously much larger fish than initially

I’ve also heard that the degree of gold wanes, yet I observed the opposite ...

I agree Hemiodus gracilis looks grand, a large enough shoal of gold tetras may fare well (as long as they aren’t seen as prey) as they seem quite confident

Slightly smaller and reputed to be quite well behaved
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sahyadria-denisonii/

I suspect both larger fish will be more respectful of their smaller tankmates if the tetras are well established, then add quite small juveniles of the larger species and ensure a sufficiently sized group for normal antics to remain focused inside the group

Shrimp will be predated regardless
This was a random interesting fact that Tai told me about a week or so back...
Gold tetra, silver tetra and others are all actually black neons and it is a bacteria specific to locality that causes the colourations...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

it is a bacteria specific to locality
That's very intersting, are there any scientific articles about it available on internet?

Thus it is biotope specific.. :) Something like pink and white Flamingo's :) Tho that's more pigment change by specific diet.. Who knows maybe intestinal bacteria (specific gut flora) plays a role in this too.

Comming to think of it, i say yes why not it's rather common in the animal kindom, never thought of it before with wild fish.

From Seriously Fish https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rodwayi/..
This species has something of a confused taxonomic past. The standard colour of the fish is a rather dull silvery grey, with a little colour in the fins. However in certain areas in nature, the species is sensitive to a particular type of trematode parasite. This causes a reaction in the skin of the fish, resulting in a spectacular metallic gold colouration formed by deposits of guanin. When initially discovered, these golden fish were mistakenly described as a new species, Hemigrammus armstrongi. This is now considered a junior synonymof H. rodwayi/

Unfortunately, captive bred specimens do not exhibit this colouration, as they are not exposed to the parasite. This is why most of the ‘golden tetras’ seen for sale do not live up to the common name stated on the tank. Infected wild caught fish are available from time to time, and are truly stunning.]

Does that mean if these wild caught golden specimen treated with a dewormer will loose that color?
You would have thought so, but who knows...there is surprisingly little info on them out there. But according to reefs.com they are not infectious https://reefs.com/2015/03/02/parasite-responsible-color-popular-tetra/
This fish appears to be more prone to disease than many other tetras (particularly to skin parasites). However, wild specimens, which (judging from the preponderance of gold “morphs”) usually show evidence of exposure to the parasite, tend not to be carriers and pose no general threat to their tankmates

Back