• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Filter is now outside the cabinet and pipes etc aren't touching it at this moment.
But it's still pretty loud humming compared to my previous eheim. I can clearly hear the filter running.
But it's not the sound of air/water thats moving or creating the humming/sound. Its just the rotor/head itself.
Hope it will get quieter this week. Cause having this sound in the living room isn't very nice :(

Filter is now outside the cabinet and pipes etc aren't touching it at this moment.
But it's still pretty loud humming compared to my previous eheim. I can clearly hear the filter running.
But it's not the sound of air/water thats moving or creating the humming/sound. Its just the rotor/head itself.
Hope it will get quieter this week. Cause having this sound in the living room isn't very nice :(

have you shaken the filter around to ensure there’s no trapped air

My 850 had a noticeable and not inconsiderable hum to it when I first got it, but now I can barely hear it. I think there is often a certain amount of running in required on items like this with moving parts.

Now testing it with one sponge less in the pre-filter + moving them apart so small gaps in between are created.

I wouldn't do that, water always finds the path of least resistance, and it will essentially just bypass your pre-filter completely, rendering it useless. I haven't found that the pre-filter sponges make a noticeable difference on noise, nor much difference on flow to be honest (providing they are cleaned weekly). I use the medium (light blue) sponge on my high tech, and now even use the black fine sponge on the 600 on my low tech which produces much less mulm and detritus.

Now in contact with Oase. Already tried the shaking etc to get air out. But it keeps getting back.
Als noticed something new now when i tried to shake/tilt it 5 minutes ago........... a pretty wet floor......

When tilting the filter forward (so possible air could rise up in the direction of the rotor lots of water gets out in the front on the main seal/rubber.

So if water can get out that easy, air getting in shouldn't be a big issue.......

:(

Now in contact with Oase. Already tried the shaking etc to get air out. But it keeps getting back.
Als noticed something new now when i tried to shake/tilt it 5 minutes ago........... a pretty wet floor......

When tilting the filter forward (so possible air could rise up in the direction of the rotor lots of water gets out in the front on the main seal/rubber.

So if water can get out that easy, air getting in shouldn't be a big issue.......

:(
It’s actually quite a complex filter with so many seals, I do worry in the future how many spare seals I’ll need.

It’s actually quite a complex filter with so many seals, I do worry in the future how many spare seals I’ll need.
Lubricate and reseat them every maintenance session and everything should run smoothly and last ages in theory, as long as you dont let the rubber dry out and harden.

I lubricate all the rubber seals regularly, on the main head, the prefilter seal and the rubber bits on the sides of the prefilter/primer and the two little ones for the hose adapter attachment.

I have one that is a couple of years old but never been used, hoping to commision it next month when my new tank arrives. Looking at all the comments here, I am going to take all the seals out and check and lube them with silicone grease, just in case.

I had the same issue. It is now sitting on a thick foam pad and much quieter.

thanks. i Will first wait for the Oase support before i make changes to the filter and decide if i'll keep it or return it :)

Edit: Big change i'll return this filter and go back to eheim......
Now i need to find a new filter for use on a 120x60x50 tank or a filter in combination with my old 2217 ehiem.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, here is a solution from Oase USA that totally stopped the air purging of my BioMaster thermo 600. In essence don’t push the hoses too far back on the inlet and outlet, the lock ring needs to be engaged far enough to create a seal and prevent air from being sucked in, especially important if using stop valves to restrict flow. Also make sure you have the updated filter head, Oase will send one out if you’re still under warranty.

“where you have your tubes attached, can you be sure that all of the tubes are pushed ALL the way down to the lip of the in and out and to your inlet and outlet, when you tie down the locking ring, make sure you can see two threads exposed on the opposite side.”

Attachments

• 9021BC8C-DE7C-4D1D-A404-87F609C68B86.jpeg
    9021BC8C-DE7C-4D1D-A404-87F609C68B86.jpeg
    997.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 62F7099E-B4A7-45D8-B8EA-E868C8CBB975.jpeg
    62F7099E-B4A7-45D8-B8EA-E868C8CBB975.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 386
Hello everyone, here is a solution from Oase USA that totally stopped the air purging of my BioMaster thermo 600. In essence don’t push the hoses too far back on the inlet and outlet, the lock ring needs to be engaged far enough to create a seal and prevent air from being sucked in, especially important if using stop valves to restrict flow. Also make sure you have the updated filter head, Oase will send one out if you’re still under warranty.

“where you have your tubes attached, can you be sure that all of the tubes are pushed ALL the way down to the lip of the in and out and to your inlet and outlet, when you tie down the locking ring, make sure you can see two threads exposed on the opposite side.”

That is definitely one of the main solutions, i always make sure they are locked in properly.

On a side note, does anyone else struggle to take off the hose adapter part? For me it requires a lot of effort, i think i made it harder to take off as i lubricated the two little o-rings.

Back