• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal My First Terrarium

Possibly <"Climacium dendroides">? There are a few mosses that are quite tree like, including <"Thamnobryum alopecurum"> and <"Thuidium tamariscinum">, which is really common in NW Europe.

The moss you have looks like a <"Leucobryum sp.">
Many thanks Darrel :) lets see how the moss does long term. I will have a look at the other names see if I can get hold of some.

It looks fabulous, but a tiny part of me is disappointed that we don't get to see the Gherkin sculpture any more!
Many thanks, I did think about leaving some gaps! but then had so much moss that I just filled it all up! can always do a V2.0!! Still have the same amount of moss left to use!!!

Very nice indeed! 👍
Many thanks :)

Awesome! :woot:

Yeah was thinking about it, just what sort of material that touches the glass to use.

You could try Banggood, there you can find all kinds of sizes and shapes in neodymium magnets.
Effetool 16mmx20mm Magnetic Thumbtack Neodymium Pins Fridge Magnet Teaching Painting Thumbtack

Padding material you could use is Felt on the outside and a piece of regular kitchen scourer pad on the inside. :)

Many thanks, it did come out looking a lot better than I was expecting lol would not mind creating a couple more of these to be honest! if only I could get hold of some more of these glass bowls! lol
You could try Banggood, there you can find all kinds of sizes and shapes in neodymium magnets.
thanks, did have a look on eBay and saw a couple of options also, on the inside would it be another magnet or just some metal?

I have a couple of those magnets 10mm diametre and I gave it a try on 6mm glass. Definitively 2 magnets work a treat.
Tried it with 1 magnet and a ferreous coin, it did stick but with moving it around the coin stayed behind. :) And this tested without any padding. No idea about bigger/stronger magnets. But I guess you want small ones since it's for a small round vase.

Also, magnets are polarized thus always the same sides are attracted. Then you only need one soft pad on the correct side. If you use a piece of iron it can flip over and then both sides should better be covered with padding if it's used inside the vase.

Now if only I could get hold of these two 3D models! lol

Who has great CAD skills? :lol::lol:

How about this one? partially covered with moss patches...

I was also looking for printing structures with a degree of porosity... Then the moss yoghurt method could be applied.
It seems to be coming up...

How about this one?
So boring that one! lol
I was also looking for printing structures with a degree of porosity... Then the moss yoghurt method could be applied.
It seems to be coming up...
need to brush up on my CAD skills, know a little about using Sketchup but not enough!

When it comes to CAD i'm100% at a loss... That's why I'm ending up only finding boring stuff...

Definitely some funky designs, be great if you could get them to work with living moss. Not sure about the whole preserved moss thing, it's a bit like replacing your lawn with astroturf :p

Definitely some funky designs, be great you could get them to work with live moss. Not sure about the whole preserved moss thing, it's a bit like replacing your lawn with astroturf :p
Indeed, it's a terrarium for the lazy person! lol ideal for company lounges I guess, hence they charge and arm and a leg for them!

Anyone know what type of moss this is? Only seen it being called tree moss!

View attachment 166809

Would love to get my hands on some of that!

Cheers
Paulo
Found it on sale here:

But need to pay an import certificate which is £35 and £35 postage :(

if he has to call anywhere saying he's trying to get his hands on some "California Gurlz" 🤣
yeah that might not go down well with the misses! :crazy::shh::lol: wonder how much is shipping for those!! :eek:

Not sure if you are joking @Courtneybst or that is a real name, but I'd love to be a fly on @LondonDragon's wall if he has to call anywhere saying he's trying to get his hands on some "California Gurlz" 🤣
😂 That made me choke haha!

To be honest these days that could easily be a real plant name but no I was just messing around, it reminds me of palm trees you see in LA that's why. 😂

Can you imagine; "Hi there, do you have any live California Gurlz in stock?" Ummmm....

Back