• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

Hmmn yeah. though front loading wouldn't be too good with urea. maybe I should make my water changes smaller, 25% maybe. I do 50% every two weeks now. (every week is too much, just exhausting lol)

Hmmn yeah. though front loading wouldn't be too good with urea. maybe I should make my water changes smaller, 25% maybe. I do 50% every two weeks now. (every week is too much, just exhausting lol)

Water change for me takes 30min including vacuuming substrate because I can run a hose from my nearest tap... I guess you are using pails/buckets which is why its exhausting?
I find more time is spent on trimming/ general maintenance because stem plants seem to grow much faster under high light :)

Regarding water change causing a large change in water column nutrients.... I have been experimenting with halving the daily fert dose the day before water change and a slightly higher dose immediately after water change.

Last edited:
ammannia pedicellata just for you @erwin123 ;)
IMG_3441.jpg
IMG_3440.jpg

put a couple stems in sand to see how they do as well.

The Pedicatella in the pot is a useful experiment, as you are also using ammonia rich aquasoil.... would be very interesting to see if there is any difference between the Pedicatella grown in sand vs grown in aquasoil.

I see some of them putting out aerial roots -which is the same for my Pedicatellas - it makes me wonder whether the aerial roots help the plant absorb nutrients better from the water column, rather than solely rely on their leaves to absorb the nturients , and whether this prevents the leaves from "wrinkling/stunting".....

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

got some pantanal, it has recovered from shipping well and showing what looks like some growth.
still loving the ammannia

1649279074495.png

there is some algae on emmersed growth but shhhh, we don't talk about that. I've got some spirogyra ( I think) that got in the tank when I added the floaters so that sucks. it seems to be spreading so i need to do something.

The Ammannias are converting nicely.
One issue with Pantanal is that if you buy them submersed, they may be grown in farm tanks using EI as thats an easy way to farm Pantanal, so if they might need time to adapt to lean dosing....

The Ammannias are converting nicely.
One issue with Pantanal is that if you buy them submersed, they may be grown in farm tanks using EI as thats an easy way to farm Pantanal, so if they might need time to adapt to lean dosing....
the pantanal were grown in a lean tank!

spirogyra sucks.... introduced it with some floaters..
IMG_3498.jpg

some plants stunted due to poor co2 cus i swapped out inline diffuser for an intank one while i got it cleaned.

spirogyra sucks.... introduced it with some floaters..
View attachment 186337
some plants stunted due to poor co2 cus i swapped out inline diffuser for an intank one while i got it cleaned.
Nice Pantanal colours.

Would it be correct to say that the Ammannia in the aquasoil is growing better than the Ammannia in the pot (with inert substrate)? The one in the pot looks smaller?

For cleaning inline diffusers, I really don't believe that one needs to soak the diffuser for 24 hours to 'get rid of the bleach' - I always just soaked it in Prime+water for say 30min, and it appears to be 'good enough' to put back into the tank

Nice Pantanal colours.

Would it be correct to say that the Ammannia in the aquasoil is growing better than the Ammannia in the pot (with inert substrate)? The one in the pot looks smaller?

For cleaning inline diffusers, I really don't believe that one needs to soak the diffuser for 24 hours to 'get rid of the bleach' - I always just soaked it in Prime+water for say 30min, and it appears to be 'good enough' to put back into the tank
thanks! as for the ammannia, not really. the ones planted were just smallerside shoots. one of them got trimmmed though because of stunting, but I strongly believe it to bemore related to co2 than substrate differences.
good to know! how much prime do you use? and how much bleach?

good to know! how much prime do you use? and how much bleach?
I have a plastic cup. I put the diffuser in with 3.25% liquid bleach without dilution.
After rinsing a few times, I just put a few drops of prime to the cup of water and wait for 30min George farmer uses a lot more prime (see video) but he seems to be putting it back into the tank almost immediately after the Prime treatment.

IMG_3514.jpg

spirogyra still hitting hard, damn it why did I think adding floaters from ebay was a good idea.... should have got tc...
tonina is a super weed, and the pantanal as well. next water change im gonna have to trim some stuff.

That Pantanal with the Golden beside it is damn good looking!
I'm loving the contrast so far, and in true plantnoobdude style, both in a state of mediocritytm! slightly stunted and some algae, but not that bad lol.

IMG_3569.jpg

I am still fighting some algae that came in with my floaters, it seems the plants are winning the battle:) new addition nymphea micrantha 'geflekt' is gorgeous and growing really quick.

few stems ammannia are stunted, but most are looking fat and happy.
quinquangulare is looking pretty and has adapted well to the tank, looking forward to baby plantlets!
still haven't figured out the wallichii fully, but it looks to be perking up.
pantanal is growing better. just got trimmed cause it was trying to climb out the tank!
ludwigia senegalensis is growing decently but still ratty and small growth forms.
rotala macrandra is getting better, but not great.
tonina is super weedy as always.
IMG_3561.jpg

the devil:mad:

despite the floating plants, your tank seems pretty well lit!
nice growth all round... looking at the Ammannia in substrate vs Ammannia in pot, it seems one is much bigger/fatter than the other!

p.s. don't Nympheas eventually become Monster-sized plants? is this a special mini version?

nice growth all round... looking at the Ammannia in substrate vs Ammannia in pot, it seems one is much bigger/fatter than the other!
yep, it seems ammannia is one of the few plants that likes soil in my tank. most of the rest grow better in sand, rotala mac, cuphea, s repens, tonina, wallichii. one I haven't been able to grow well in sand is senegalensis. It definitely is possible though.
p.s. don't Nympheas eventually become Monster-sized plants? is this a special mini version?
shhh, don't give it ideas.

Back