• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

IMG_3028.jpg

low tech vase!

welcome back, was waiting for your updates. Is this a Rotala Macrandra? (which type?)

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you are keeping CRS in your tank? How are they doing?

Last edited:
welcome back, was waiting for your updates. Is this a Rotala Macrandra? (which type?)

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you are keeping CRS in your tank? How are they doing?
thank you! it is the regular macrandra from tropica.
the crs were doing well and breeding well under tropica dosing, but with ei dosing and how much co2 i need they have sadly stopped breeding. i have maybe 10 or so now.

IMG_3118 (1).jpg

tank in all its stunted, deficient and algae-covered glory. lost all my eriocaulon cinereum, quinquangulare and "blood vomit" from a co2 regulator failure. a month or so ago. no co2 for 5 days.... an expensive mistake. 6 mature quinquangulare and over 40 blood vomit lost....... cuphea looking pitiful as ever. different stems of cuba to different degrees of stunted-ness, algae infested s.repens. stunted macrandra, wallichii not looking good... and tonina is iron deficient. big changes to ferts coming, and i have some ADA TYPE 1! soil soaking that should be ready soon.

IMG_3153 (2).jpg

still strugglin awayyyy. but things in some plants are improving but others not. ~1ppm fe per week is helping tonina, cuba, bacopa. but has the opposite effect for cuphea, wallichii, indica.

anyone have any explanation on why my wallichii looked so good a couple weeks after planted (from emmersed,) but has slowly become worse? dosing for wallichii has always been EI and co2 is the same.
IMG_3079.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg

Your earlier Wallichii pics were very nice indeed. Really not easy to get that colour - I've been trying.😅

Wallichiis can go from being perfectly normal to suddenly stunting in 24 hours. CO2 instability is one possible reason (mine stunted when I was tweaking CO2 and Vin Kutty's AGA2019 video also has a slide on Wallichii stunting due to CO2 change).
Fortunately, they grow sideshoots fast - so I would just discard any stunted stems and plant their sideshoots for example (I've moved my stunted Wallichiis to my low tech tank to see if they will unstunt there).

Is 1.0ppm Fe really necessary? Thats double EI dosing? Anyway, I use the 'ice cube into substrate' method for dosing Fe, rather than direct into the water column. You could see if that helps.

Is 1.0ppm Fe really necessary? Thats double EI dosing? Anyway, I use the 'ice cube into substrate' method for dosing Fe, rather than direct into the water column. You could see if that helps.
yes, otherwhise tonina go a really ugly white colour, it's slowly improving now. keeping in mind i dose high po4 as well, so it is probably precipitating.

hopefully the wallichii grows well under leaner dosing with urea. fingers crossed.

the tank is in what i'd say is a constant state of mediocrity, some algae here and there, some plant issues but nothing too bad.

anyway my mediocre tank does not stop my collectoritis. new additions, crypt flamingo. and Anubias minima i found at the shop that was variegated! the guy at the shop seemed puzzled as to why I wanted "the one 3 rows to the left of the filter intake and 4 rows from the front" oh well, very pleased with the variegated anubias, hope it stays stable. if you look closely you should be able to see it.
1642962652456.jpeg

IMG_3262.JPG

slow and steady improvement. best thing about high tech is that you can see changes daily.
incase people were wondering what i am dosing
2ppm N (urea) ~9pppm No3
0.26ppm P ~0.5ppm Po4
1.3ppm K
0.1ppm Fe dtpa
0.067ppm Mn
0.007ppm Cu
0.014ppm Zn
0.014 B
0.003ppm Mo
0.0001ppm Ni
calcium 18ppm, 6ppm Mg

View attachment 181580
slow and steady improvement. best thing about high tech is that you can see changes daily.
incase people were wondering what i am dosing
2ppm N (urea) ~9pppm No3
0.26ppm P ~0.5ppm Po4
1.3ppm K
0.1ppm Fe dtpa
0.067ppm Mn
0.007ppm Cu
0.014ppm Zn
0.014 B
0.003ppm Mo
0.0001ppm Ni
calcium 18ppm, 6ppm Mg
Weekly values I assume? If so you went from 1ppm Fe to 0.1ppm, are the plants not showing iron deficiencies anymore?

now assuming the issue was actually Fe and not something else, that means that Dtpa as a chelator is atleast 10x more effective than edta at providing iron to my plants at my ph/ tank parameters. which is surprising because Edta is supposed to be decent at lower ph's.

also, I bought some ammania golden, new stuff to cover in algae and stunt to hell!:lol:

now assuming the issue was actually Fe and not something else, that means that Dtpa as a chelator is atleast 10x more effective than edta at providing iron to my plants at my ph/ tank parameters. which is surprising because Edta is supposed to be decent at lower ph's.

also, I bought some ammania golden, new stuff to cover in algae and stunt to hell!:lol:

Welcome to the Ammannia Stunting Club! Though frankly, your lean dosing should actually be ideal for the plant
😅

Here's an IG post that I had to linked to previously :

problem species lookin good!!! contrasts are nice.
IMG_3273.jpg
cuphea has just been topped and replanted, fully expect it to stunt and crumple on me, i could be wrong though,

the mediocre legacy continues....
IMG_3298.jpg

some algae issues but plant health is decent so i'm happy!
ludwigia white is the newest addition. and you can see the flamingos new converted leaves.

Back