• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In need of plant advice

This is simple. Don't count in kg but in cm (thick) and, based on this, in litters. If you want to use fertil substrate under sand, you need around 1 cm of it, covered with at least 3-4 cm of planting substrate. The purpose of using fertil substrate is that it slow releasing the nutrients in the planting substrate. You also may use universal substrate that contain nutrients but can be also used for planting. If you look over the suppliers recommendations, all of them mention the same way of counting.

See two exemples :
First is a fertil substrate that need to be sealed with a ornamental gravel.
http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/substrate/
Second is an universal substrate.
http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/aquarium-soil/aquarium-soil/

You can see how the calculations are made.

This is simple. Don't count in kg but in cm (thick) and, based on this, in litters. If you want to use fertil substrate under sand, you need around 1 cm of it, covered with at least 3-4 cm of planting substrate. The purpose of using fertil substrate is that it slow releasing the nutrients in the planting substrate. You also may use universal substrate that contain nutrients but can be also used for planting. If you look over the suppliers recommendations, all of them mention the same way of counting.

See two exemples :
First is a fertil substrate that need to be sealed with a ornamental gravel.
http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/substrate/
Second is an universal substrate.
http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/aquarium-soil/aquarium-soil/

You can see how the calculations are made.

Thanks for that, now I'm considering just adding more sand and building it up at the back since it will be easier, just hope it stays deeper at the back with my bn digging around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK! Just keep in mind the rules : in the background the thick of the gravel should be at least double than in the front;
plants with strong roots help you to keep it deeper at the back; stones and wood can help you to built the slope.
The rest of it comes only from your imagination!

It will be nice to see some pics with your progress.
Good luck!

OK! Just keep in mind the rules : in the background the thick of the gravel should be at least double than in the front;
plants with strong roots help you to keep it deeper at the back; stones and wood can help you to built the slope.
The rest of it comes only from your imagination!

It will be nice to see some pics with your progress.
Good luck!

Yes I will update with pics, won't be until a couple of weeks as I have a week off work then so I can take my time, going to transfer all the fish to the spare tank and sort it all out properly

I've redone the tank over the past couple of days, took a couple pics but there wasn't much to take pics of. Plants look much better I must say after removing the emersed leaves weeks ago, also bought a few more plants today there's just one I don't know exactly what it is because it had the wrong label.

This is the plant that I need an ID on, it separate into lots of seperate stalks. Hopefully I haven't picked up some hard to grow species

This is the plant that I need an ID on, it separate into lots of seperate stalks. Hopefully I haven't picked up some hard to grow species

de91fdd3d349fa5b737159243ec8c2ad.jpg

sorry to tell you.......but your plant look suspiciously like Hemigraphis.
- and that is NOT an aquatic plant (you can have a nice potted window-plant, though).

sorry to tell you.......but your plant look suspiciously like Hemigraphis.
- and that is NOT an aquatic plant (you can have a nice potted window-plant, though).

Oh really? Il do some research in it and if it is then no big deal I suppose

Edit: just had a look and think you may be right, they do sell terrarium plants too and since this didn't have a label I suppose it's my fault for not checking.

Last edited:
Why are they doing this ? Plant is presented as an aqvarium plant, with that pot and sponge ...

Yes I know, they have terrarium plants in water on display with all the others, the labels do state of theyre for terrariums though

Yes I know, they have terrarium plants in water on display with all the others, the labels do state of theyre for terrariums though

Well, one more reason to look very well on the label ... when there is a label! :(

Well, one more reason to look very well on the label ... when there is a label! :(

Yeah there wasn't a label in this case, would be hopeless asking asking staff aswell.

This because why I always order on line and, when possible, in-vitro plants. Everything comes from Dennerle or Tropica and have transport insurance.

This because why I always order on line and, when possible, in-vitro plants. Everything comes from Dennerle or Tropica and have transport insurance.

Think I will order online from now on so I know what I'm getting

Hi
If the shop is local to U.
Take it back for a swap.There should be no problem with that ussualy if I explain them is your mistake and U need aquarium plant instead.

Regards Konsa

Yes. I don't know how it works with your on-line suppliers but I use one that give very good follow-up. I had situations when the bag with fish was perforated and they sent the fish again. It is enough to send a picture with it. Once I've got an Anubias Pinto in very bad shape. I sent the picture and they replace it within two days. After this I manage to save it and send them a picture with the plant, asking for the invoice. I never received it!

Hi
If the shop is local to U.
Take it back for a swap.There should be no problem with that ussualy if I explain them is your mistake and U need aquarium plant instead.

Regards Konsa

I may do that but I've discarded the pot and wool, not sure if that would make a difference or I could just pot it I suppose...

Back