• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In need of plant advice

Bacom

Hello everyone I have just signed up and looking for some help with some plants in my tank. My tank is a 260 litre juwel vision running 2x t5 ho tubes, the plants in my tank aren't doing as well as I'd hoped and was looking for some guidance. The plants I have are Amazon sword, some kind of val? Java fern, moss and windelov. I also have a plant called enchidorous impaii which I can't find much info about. Anyway there is some browning and yellowing on most plants and I've recently started using tnc root tabs. Just wandering if there's anything else I should be doing?
0f7df7c9ddcf029b2bdabcdecf09c7f9.jpg
833c66ce8be6c853468e3002786c7072.jpg
f63f1b7bcb2bb1bf78cc3f402cdce9e3.jpg

Hi!
What fertilization plan do you have? Do you add CO2? ... anything else?
What about the filtration? Do you have the internal kit that comes always with the tank?
If the lighting system is the original coming with the Juwel tank, in most of the situations, is not enough.
Please give us some more details.

Hi!
What fertilization plan do you have? Do you add CO2? ... anything else?
What about the filtration? Do you have the internal kit that comes always with the tank?
If the lighting system is the original coming with the Juwel tank, in most of the situations, is not enough.
Please give us some more details.

Hello, the only fertiliser I'm using right now is root tabs, there's no special substrate just sand. I don't add C02 either. The light unit is a separate unit since the original stopped working so it's just a twin ballast (2x39w ho)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting sick of looking at these plants now... was wondering should I remove the leaves. I'm guessing these are emersed leaves?
27285b5432c4c9aef7fb5bb5241c6414.jpg

09af55e9b54e3b4403c86fc15f411711.jpg
ce46fb17c19c7fa20e9130856c693f79.jpg

You have a severe deficiency of ... everything. You should start a fertilization plan. There are many different solution, some separate some integrated. A Dennerle complete solution could help. Also Easy Life and JBL have such kind of integrated solution. From my experience, I suggest Tropica Universal and separate addition of Ferropol and Kalium-Potasium, in adjusted dossage. CO2 is urgent! The light is also far from the optimum. So, what you can do is to add at least the simplest CO2 addition system, increase the light (most cheaper is to add two reflectors) and to start a fertilizartion plan. Cut as much as you can from the death leaves but without affect the plant. Then after ... wait!

PS Pay attention to the biological filtration. There is a lot of organic matter that decomposes and will generate ammonia and, consecutively, nitrites.

I wouldn't say that co2 is imperative for the well being of the plant selection I see in the pictures. Is it a mature tank?

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say that co2 is imperative for the well being of the plant selection I see in the pictures. Is it a mature tank?

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Hi it is a mature tank, I was under the impression these were easy plants to care for...

Can you put a picture with entire tank? ... and give us details about filtration, capacity, ...?

The only pic I have is from where I first added the plants (attached) the filter is an eheim classic external filter and the tank is 260L I've been told that these leaves are dying because they were grown out of water and the new leaves will grow?
2dd83b142c7a1293fcf9ebf5efe55a7e.jpg

OK, I keep my opinion that is a problem with fertilization in water. Most of the plant I see there have this kind of need for nutrients.

Hi all
Plants in this setup are clearly strugling.
The tank itself is imbalanced.U have shared the volume of the tank and the lighting over it but nothing about your photoperiod length, filtration, lifestock and maintenance regime .The plants in the pictures are not difficult to grow and keep healthy.
There are few basics U need to cover when keep a planted tank.First U need to be aware what ammount of time you are willing to spend in maintaining your tank.Depending on the time, you choose lightning intensity .The lower the intensity, the lower the demmand for nutrients and slower all develops. The narrower the plant list you will be able to grow.
Atm your plants are in distress algae is present too.The worst you can do is to increase the lights strength as this will increase the demand for all the rest of the nutrients.
You are in the right direction of using root tabs as the Ehinodorus species are heavy root feeders.Its recommended to reduse your light intensity(foil rings on tubes or just one tube) get some floating plants and reduse photoperiod to 6 hours.Try some complete liquid fertiliser too and increase the amount of water changes while removing as much debris and rotting leaves as possible.Clean the filters.
You can definitely turn things arround.
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
Hi all
Plants in this setup are clearly strugling.
The tank itself is imbalanced.U have shared the volume of the tank and the lighting over it but nothing about your photoperiod length, filtration, lifestock and maintenance regime .The plants in the pictures are not difficult to grow and keep healthy.
There are few basics U need to cover when keep a planted tank.First U need to be aware what ammount of time you are willing to spend in maintaining your tank.Depending on the time, you choose lightning intensity .The lower the intensity, the lower the demmand for nutrients and slower all develops. The narrower the plant list you will be able to grow.
Atm your plants are in distress algae is present too.The worst you can do is to increase the lights strength as this will increase the demand for all the rest of the nutrients.
You are in the right direction of using root tabs as the Ehinodorus species are heavy root feeders.Its recommended to reduse your light intensity(foil rings on tubes or just one tube) get some floating plants and reduse photoperiod to 6 hours.Try some complete liquid fertiliser too and increase the amount of water changes while removing as much debris and rotting leaves as possible.Clean the filters.
You can definitely turn things arround.
Regards Konsa

Ok thanks, so where exactly have I gone wrong with this? The lighting and amount of time the lights are on? No fertiliser? Or everything? I didn't think these plants would require liquid ferts

Hi
U need to share more information about your tank as I said so we can advice U properly.
All plants will require complete liquid fertiliser when planted in plain sand in my oppinion. How much deppends on the strenght of your lights and the lenght of your photoperiod.
How long the tank have been setup?

Hi
I am only asking about substrate depth because Ehinodorus species have quite big root sistems and the front looks pretty shallow.
PS :
U have been told correct that the emersed leaves will die off and will be replaced by new ones.Do U have healthy new growth yet.
Regards Konsa

I'm no expert on plant growing but agree 100% with Konsa in regards to putting foil rings around your t5 tubes.

Juwel Daylight T5 HO lamps are very bright indeed even without reflectors and covering them up with foil 'rings' helped me quite a bit with constant algae issues.

Remove the light unit, roll up foil into inch wide strips than wrap evenly about an inch apart the whole length of the T5 tube.

Looks a bit Heath Robinson but it's effective.

Plus, removing damaged or decaying leaves is very important as well.

Two T5 considered high light ,with no CO2 probably having difficulty adapting,with that amount.Not that long ago most would grow these under one T8 .I would half your lighting trim worst affected leaves and give a good daily general fertilser and a photoperiod of no more than 5 or 6 hours for now.Just my opinion on my own expierences

So from all the replies I can gather that my light is just too high... the light isn't actually built in it's a double ballast I bought since the original no longer works. I do have a spare t8 bulb and ballast I could try that used to be on the tank, only problem with this is it only lights up the back half of the tank since it sits behind the original light unit. So is the best option to put the t8 unit back in or buy a different light completely?

Back