• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator

Good opportunity to integrate other less critical bugs I have already corrected. I was waiting for something bigger to show!! 🙏
Would this then be a good time to make a small request? :angelic:
Could we have one more decimal place on iron without it rounding in the DIY trace calculator?
My latest micro uses three iron sources and because of this the total amounts ended up pretty low. For example if it could display 0.025 instead of correcting to 0.03?

Could we have one more decimal place on iron without it rounding in the DIY trace calculator?
My latest micro uses three iron sources and because of this the total amounts ended up pretty low. For example if it could display 0.025 instead of correcting to 0.03?
Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 16.16.29.jpg

?

Sorry for the bother but I am curious about this bit in the change log, what was the reason behind it?
The change log is just historical log of what's been changed/updated/modified with each version. We find it very useful at times.

The change log is just historical log of what's been changed/updated/modified with each version. We find it very useful at times.
I understand that part, I was wondering the reason behind the halving of the ascorbic dose, has the general view on the required amount changed or ?

Sorry for the bother but I am curious about this bit in the change log, what was the reason behind it?
I understand that part, I was wondering the reason behind the halving of the ascorbic dose, has the general view on the required amount changed or ?
Simply put, it was unnecessary to have that much Ascorbic acid. Half the quantity of the initially prescribed dose does the job at reducing the PH to around 3.5. To appease your thoughts, it does not matter a single bit if you added the previous recommended dosage. You just provided more vitamin C to your fish 😂
In fact It just so happens that I was using an old version of the IFC calculator when I made up my concoction yesterday and forgot about this update and I added the old dose (0.5gr/500ml). I'll make sure to add half next time.

Last edited:
:banghead:, sorry misread the post :rolleyes:. As @Hanuman posted. It was @X3NiTH that brought it to our attention. Sorry it was mentioned on release it must of 'slipped though the net' :oops:;)

0.25g/500ml into 0TDS water is the amount needed to attain the greatest pH change for the least acid added so that after addition of all the other salts the final pH of the solution should be in range to ensure all typical Iron chelates and unchelated metals are kept in a plant available form.

Adding just a little more than is needed may not be detrimental but the more compound you add there is an increased likelihood of possible precipitative reactions within the final mixture.

:)

The figures appear to be incorrect for the APF UK EI starter kit. Manufacturer instructions state a ratio of 4-1-6 teaspoons of KNO3, KH2PO4, MGSO4 respectively. Roughly 40g-5g-15g.
This option on the calculator computes:
19.02g KNO3 (roughly 4 teaspoons)
5.02 gKH2PO4 (roughly 1 teaspoon)
57.46g for MGSO4 - which is more like 12 teaspoons.

Was meaning to post this yesterday, I finally took a look at the new remineralizer module :shy: (bit late I know) and I couldnt find Calcium sulphate hemihydrate in the main calcium selection or in the hydrate options in CoreSettings.
I asked @dw1305 about my Calcium sulphate a long time ago and apparently the hemihydrate is what I have.
If this isnt an error on my part im sorry for not getting involved when beta testers were called for, I didnt think I had anything to contribute with but I should have volunteered, lesson learned.

If this is something that would be added to the Calculator then its definitely not a critical need as I can continue using rotala calc for the time being :)

The figures appear to be incorrect for the APF UK EI starter kit. Manufacturer instructions state a ratio of 4-1-6 teaspoons of KNO3, KH2PO4, MGSO4 respectively. Roughly 40g-5g-15g.
I will look into this.
Was meaning to post this yesterday, I finally took a look at the new remineralizer module :shy: (bit late I know) and I couldnt find Calcium sulphate hemihydrate in the main calcium selection or in the hydrate options in CoreSettings.
I asked @dw1305 about my Calcium sulphate a long time ago and apparently the hemihydrate is what I have.
If this isnt an error on my part im sorry for not getting involved when beta testers were called for, I didnt think I had anything to contribute with but I should have volunteered, lesson learned.

If this is something that would be added to the Calculator then its definitely not a critical need as I can continue using rotala calc for the time being :)
What tells you that you have the hemihydrate form? Is it on the label?
I looked in the backend and I noticed that the hemihydrate is actually there but we never activated it. Hemihydrate is more commonly called plaster of paris I think. There is probably a good reason why we didn't activate it but I can't remember the exact reason now. While doing a quick search I found that the hemihydrate form actually has 2 sub-forms. The α-hemihydrate and β-hemihydrate. Both having a different solubility. Wondering if this is not the reason. I will think about it today and do some more research on why.

Last edited:
1. What version of the calculator are you using?
2. Which calculator are you using? (target, DIY, remin?)
3. Please post the dosing regime you used.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi all,
......This option on the calculator computes:
I can't check at the moment, but I'm guessing that the difference occurs because of the "water of crystallization".

What this means is that "MgSO4" is actually the heptahydrate "MgSO4.7H2O" or Epsom Salts and only 10% magnesium (Mg).

Cheers Darrel

Looking into this and it looks like its down to an old calculation done by myself for my own personal use pre 2018. That's before the idea of doing a fert calculator hadn't even crossed my mind. Then the incorrect values 'ppms' was just accepted as correct. Myself and @Hanuman have had a look at the error already and should have a correction out soon.

In our defence we was more focused on other technical issues of the calculator at the time and the ppms of APFUK double check slipped through the net. All my fault :oops:.

Well spotted all the same and thanks for bring it to out attention :clap::thumbup:

Back