• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator

Hi all,
Understood, completely, but if I want to add half the phosphate, and maintain the level of potassium, without increasing nitrate using KNO3 ... dipotassium nitrate fits the bill perfectly.
That makes sense.
I can't recall phosphate levels off hand, but it was in excess of 10ppm from the tap
It will be lower than that, probably by <"an order of magnitude">.

It is really difficult to find accurate information. Because there isn't a regulatory limit for PO4--- in tap water you water company doesn't have to report the level, it can't be in breach of the <"regulatory limit"> for tap water, there isn't one.

You can find figures for <"waste water"> & natural water bodies, and they make fairly grisly reading.

cheers Darrel

However I do have a small request, would it be possible to add di potassium phosphate to the calculator?
I think it could be worth to keep in mind that dipotassium phosphate is a base, so maybe this should be taken into account when acidifying the solution. This could be especially important in an all in one solution with iron I reckon.

Damn! That should read dipotassium phosphate of course!
I was about to ask 😅

but if I want to add half the phosphate, and maintain the level of potassium, without increasing nitrate using KNO3 ... dipotassium nitrate fits the bill perfectly.
Gotcha. In the meantime, checkout Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator. They have the Dipotassium phosphate. We might add it on a future release. I will disscuss with Zeus. Maybe there was a reason why we didn't add it but I can't remember.

Last edited:
Hi all,

That makes sense.

It will be lower than that, probably by <"an order of magnitude">.

It is really difficult to find accurate information. Because there isn't a regulatory limit for PO4--- in tap water you water company doesn't have to report the level, it can't be in breach of the <"regulatory limit"> for tap water, there isn't one.

You can find figures for <"waste water"> & natural water bodies, and they make fairly grisly reading.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, Actually those phosphate leves were as measured by a lab using a colimator, in this case for brewing reasons. Phosphate in brewing liquor can cause some issues with the process. Trying to reproduce a beer in spring and autumn was hit and miss, compared to summer and winter. When we did the brewing ion analysis on a month by month basis it was enlightening by how much things varied. Phosphate was 0.2mg/l or less during winter months but hit in excess of 10mg/l in spring,! Autumn wasn't quite so bad.
I think it could be worth to keep in mind that dipotassium phosphate is a base, so maybe this should be taken into account when acidifying the solution. This could be especially important in an all in one solution with iron I reckon.
Thanks, keeping Macro and micro separate for the moment, just coming out of new tank syndrome as far as algae issues are concerned. Trying to do too many things to quickly really caused issues. Stopped playing with light intensity/colour and photo-period, and started using nutrients properly, rather than trying to keep them at a minimum level. Things are slowly improving (Patience, must you learn, young padauan!)
@Aleman Checkout Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator They have the Dipotassium phosphate. We might add dipotassium phosphate on a future release. I will disscuss with Zeus. Maybe there was a reason why we didn't add it but I can't remember.
That was the calculator I used to calculate my additions for Macro and Micro ferts, I just wanted to sanity check the numbers it gave me, normally that would be done by my pet chemist, but she is currently to busy with work to "Run the numbers" ... I actually prefer the IFC display of the results though.

actually prefer the IFC display of the results though.
Good to hear. The IFC calculator allows you to keep all the calculations. With Rotala you have to start over and over again and again with each compound and then add everything up. It makes the process pretty slow.

Working hard for everyone here. Don't you go saying I don't :cool:. Happy Sunday to everyone.
IMG_7475.jpg

I actually prefer the IFC display of the results though.
Thank you for the feedback 😁, like Hanni said its all on one page which is a big plus IMO. This was always the aim everything on one page. The only downside of everything on on page is when folk new to ferts see it all at once 🤯🤯🤯and so many salts to choose from 😬. I see it like when I use to game, on first release of game ( or beta release) there is a lot to take in, however you soon master it and it all makes sense

Feature request: An optional 'Estimated TDS' column in the remin / IFC caluclator. This is relevant for hobbyist who keep sensitive livestock and need to know what the TDS from the compounds of choice approximately adds up to (this can only be an estimate due to varying ionic conductivity). See this thread for further info.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Feature request: An optional 'Estimated TDS' column in the remin / IFC caluclator. This is relevant for hobbyist who keep sensitive livestock and need to know what the TDS from the compounds of choice approximately adds up to (this can only be a estimate due to varying ionic conductivity). See this thread for further info.

Cheers,
Michael
this will be very useful since you can check the tds for just remineraliser, then check tank water.
say remineralised water (no npk) is 90ppm
and tank water is 100ppm
and you dose 10no3, 1 po4 and 4K
then assuming nutrient uptake is the same beteen separate nutrients you can calculate
6.6ppm No3, 0.66 po4, 2.6 K estimate in-tank values

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for beta testers for the upcoming updated version of the IFC calculator. I am looking for people who can spend some time tinkering with the calculator and hunt for bugs (any sort of bug, either math, visual or logic). Ideally beta testers need to be acquainted with the calculator and are naturally inclined to nitpick 😉🤓. Humor aside, the more feedback we get the better/more reliable the calculator gets so don't be afraid to report even minute details, faults, errors. At this stage we are not looking to implement additional features or make drastic changes to the appearance of the calculator, so keep that in mind. This is not a call for features.

Anyone who is interested please send me a PM and we will take it from there.

Calculator has been updated to v1.2b1. Download link is in the Op. Main new feature is the addition of the Remineralizer Calculator.
For a complete list of changes refer to the 'Change Log to IFC calculator and OP' spoiler at the bottom of the OP.
Thanks to @Aleman and @MichaelJ for beta testing the calculator before release and providing valuable feedback.

Calculator has been updated to v1.2b1. Download link is in the Op. Main new feature is the addition of the Remineralizer Calculator.
For a complete list of changes refer to the 'Change Log to IFC calculator and OP' spoiler at the bottom of the OP.
Thanks to @Aleman and @MichaelJ for beta testing the calculator before release and providing valuable feedback.

Great work as always @Hanuman and @Zeus. - this remin calc is an epic addition!!!

Does this mean you're now freed up to implement an option for increased water change frequencies (> 1x per week) on the dosing calcs? cough cough :p

Great work as always @Hanuman and @Zeus. - this remin calc is an epic addition!!!

Thanks for the kind words :D, the remin calculator has been some time in the doing on and off.
Does this mean you're now freed up to implement an option for increased water change frequencies (> 1x per week) on the dosing calcs?

Don't think there will be any new features for some time. Both myself and @Hanuman have other commitments to take care off, which tend to take a back seat when when doing the calculator. Plus doing the calculator sucks up loads of time. It will be just 'bug/errors' updates for some time. If something can be done easily then that's another story, but the chances of an easy new feature are slim IMO

Back