Hair algae (corrected Black Brush Algae)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mfcphil, 31 Mar 2009.

1. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

OK, actually looks fairly decent from that angle. Is that Blyxa in the middle? If so it's a fairly good CO2 indicator plant so you're not far from a solution mate. looks 10,000,000X better without that backing. Just get some grey or blue external backing from the LFS. Do NOT get the ones with pictures of plants on them though...That's grounds for dismissal and possible lifetime ban...

Cheers,

2. JamesM

JamesM Member

3. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

Damn......you spoil all my fun :D

4. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

ok in a final attempt to solve the BBA and smelly green algae problems I have been having with this tank for ages!! I have now bought a spray bar to try and improve the flow in the tank.

Does anyone know how to stop the horrid whistling noise coming from the bar?

I am replacing another batch of plants at the weekend in a final attempt to get a decent tank...if this fails I'm going back to rocks :twisted:

5. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi mfcphil

If your spray bar is whistling, it is normally a sign that you have some air in it.
    To remove the air from mine I just popped off the end cap and the air gets blown out the end, and calm is restored :D .

Chris

6. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

Thanks Chris I will give it a try :D

7. Piece-of-fish

Piece-of-fish Member

Hi, so how is it going, its been almost a month since your last post, any improvements?
    I have the similar problem, the BBA is growing just on the substrate though under the glosso carpet, does not bother me too much but since its multiplying i think its time to address the problem as well.

8. mfcphil

mfcphil Member

Not going to lie, the hair algae has not completely gone but it is not appearing in all the places it was and its not as abundant as it was before....Still removing some of the glass but the signs are pretty good....

The Blue - Green algae IN THE SUBSTRATE is the new pain in the blahblahblahblah I am dealing with now :crazy:

9. plantbrain

plantbrain Expert

Please note most planted aquarists have experience all the algae at some point, and many have little control in the beginning.

Your attitude will be tempered later, and hopefully you will see that good consistent care, good management of light and CO2 are the more critical issues. Then you go years without algae issues, and if they start to show up, you know pretty much what to do.

Regards,
    Tom Barr