• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde!

Prime is a reducer too. Seachem even advise not to dose both prime and excel on the same day. Found it on their faq section last week.

Not a lot of people know that!;)
Seriously i have had instances where I've dosed liquid carbon and the fish reacted to it.
The usual fish up at the surface plus rapid gill movement etc
I mentioned this before in some other post....so need to ensure that there is ample O2 in the set-up.
I don't think it would be much of a problem if you have low stocking levels...although i maybe wrong.
Regarding Prime...that's interesting hobbyists, have had problems with Prime dosing.
Cheers
hoggie

Does any body dose glute neat straight into the tank?

I'm getting fed up of making a solution every week, and I've also read that over time glute becomes less effective when mixed with water?
So my glute solution might be stronger on the first day and gradually gets weaker as the days go by?
Have no idea if this is true or not just something I read.

Does any body dose glute neat straight into the tank?

I'm getting fed up of making a solution every week, and I've also read that over time glute becomes less effective when mixed with water?
So my glute solution might be stronger on the first day and gradually gets weaker as the days go by?
Have no idea if this is true or not just something I read.

Id not dose it neat ever into a tank. Your effectively adding just under 50 times the recommended dose which would surely not only harm all the plants at that dose but also kill every inhabitant in the tank.
Ive never heard of it getting weaker as the days go by given any branded carbon product on the market can be on shelves for months before use.
Ive made the odd person 1 litre bottles of liquid carbon and have never seen any indications of it degrading over time

Finally managed to get hold of a litre of Glut 50%.

After reading the whole thread a couple of times, i understand most people have been mixing up solutions at 1.5% i.e. 30ml to 970ml water for a litre batch
also there has been much discussion about not much happenning with this concentration, do I mix up my first batch as 3% as per Martin's recommendation? 60 ml glut to 940 ml water in a litre batch?
I've a 260 litre tank and have been dosing 10 ml per day of commercial mixes and 25 ml on water change with some degree of success on bba.
thanks
Clive

Finally managed to get hold of a litre of Glut 50%.

After reading the whole thread a couple of times, i understand most people have been mixing up solutions at 1.5% i.e. 30ml to 970ml water for a litre batch
also there has been much discussion about not much happenning with this concentration, do I mix up my first batch as 3% as per Martin's recommendation? 60 ml glut to 940 ml water in a litre batch?
I've a 260 litre tank and have been dosing 10 ml per day of commercial mixes and 25 ml on water change with some degree of success on bba.
thanks
Clive
Hi clive.
Ive noticed on one of the sponsors that there glute percentage is 2% so may be worth mixing that up??? Not sure what that equates to off the top of my head.
40ml glute to 960 ml??

Ps ive got about 7 bottles of 50 percent glute sat in my garage. I didnt realise you were on the look out

Last edited:
Cheers pal, I've been taking some from hoggie for a few months to keep me ticking over, 7 litres mate;) you could go into business making pre mixed glut with that much, yep I'll try 2% with my 1st mix, see how it fares, thanks Ali

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Cheers pal, I've been taking some from hoggie for a few months to keep me ticking over, 7 litres mate;) you could go into business making pre mixed glut with that much, yep I'll try 2% with my 1st mix, see how it fares, thanks Ali

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Your welcome mate.

Just picked up on this thread - I'm pretty sure I once read on a Marine Forum about using Vodka as a carbon source . Aldehydes and alcohols are only one step different in metabolic energy cycles ( as is acetic acid ) - any views on this ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a lot of people know that!;)
Seriously i have had instances where I've dosed liquid carbon and the fish reacted to it.
The usual fish up at the surface plus rapid gill movement etc
I mentioned this before in some other post....so need to ensure that there is ample O2 in the set-up.
I don't think it would be much of a problem if you have low stocking levels...although i maybe wrong.
Regarding Prime...that's interesting hobbyists, have had problems with Prime dosing.
Cheers
hoggie
I once sent the fish gasping at the surface accidentally, the whole tank went nuts.
I had done a daily dose of Excel then I decided I'd do a water change. When the tank was half empty I did some spot dosing with more Excel on an anubias, then I double dosed with Prime as usual, filled the tank as usual, and the fish the tank wasn't even full yet when everyone shot to the surface. My tap water is full of CO2 as well.
I have a powerful airpump so connected that and issue was sorted within an hour with no loss.

Glute does not add Co2 to the water. It adds carbon. So it is nothing to do with having ample oxygen levels. The fish were struggling because you put a powerful disinfectant into the tank, nothing to do with Co2/ O2.

Oohh just re- read the posts about Glute being a reducer. Sorry, didn't realise that's what you were on about. Ignore previous post!

What seems to be the norm then, in terms of percentage?

I've seen anything from 1.5% up to 5%. 1.5% seems to be popular, although TNC say greater than 2%, which I'm guessing is going to be near enough 2% give or take.

I'm using Easycarbo at the minute but can't seem to find any decent info on this.

What seems to be the norm then, in terms of percentage?

I've seen anything from 1.5% up to 5%. 1.5% seems to be popular, although TNC say greater than 2%, which I'm guessing is going to be near enough 2% give or take.

I'm using Easycarbo at the minute but can't seem to find any decent info on this.

Hi mate.
Aim for a 2 percent solution. Like you say tnc carbo is 2 percent so on a 500ml bottle add 35ml glut.

Cheers @Alastair I'll go for 2% then and just use TNC's dosing regime.

@Sacha 35ml is 7% of 500ml, I think you've just got the decimal in the wrong place. (edit: I see you've noticed now lol)

I wish the glute was at 100%, it would be a lot easier to work out :D I've got it down as needing 20ml glute & 480ml water to make a 2% solution from 50% glute. I'll go over my workings again later, see what I've done wrong :hungry:

Back