• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

The skull jar has grown a bit....
D50D806F-D96E-46FF-90A2-1DFF26B16DCB.jpeg

That skull jar is great, what have you planted inside? Thinking it would be nice to do something similar and have something flowering at the back

The skull scape has grown well, living in the shade for most of the day seems to suit the fern
76F3D675-7FED-414B-B476-3AC2890180D7.jpeg
let’s see what happens during the autumn....

Attachments

• 3DEB123F-CD79-463B-8109-FDA9B7ADA3DA.jpeg
    3DEB123F-CD79-463B-8109-FDA9B7ADA3DA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I think it looks kind of steampunk!
Really good fun but it can get stupid hot if you feed it to much, hot enough to destroy metal, so the core is made from refactory cemnt rated to 2000 f.
I had the plate at around 1000f in this dangerously drunken video....

Knowing your stove and the correct temperature and timing is the Gourmets secret.. Thats trail and error with this kind of cooking. But once you get the hang of it, it's an epicurean dream. I like this kind of cooking and can only confirm it aint easy to get it right.. I'm also still battling to get my Garden BBQ Pizza's perfect.

Also the top plate likely will start to bend if you overheat it to much.

It indeed looks steampunk, i love it!!.. I kinda like the first picture to most, the raw metal looks. But that's personal taste i would have clear coated it.. At least if that's possible.. Rust would also look very good, but i guess the metal is too thin for that it wont live very long if kept untreated and fired up. Don't actualy know if a proper heat resistant clear coat excists?

These are also absolutely hillariously beautifull DIY stoves. I wonder how they look after a year of use..
57b7a98aa4320dc47aa36a6222fe90b4.jpg

17fc1d9d6a4d463cae7c99977a6169d2.jpg

Hi all,
This is <"Clematis cirrhosa "Freckles"> on the SE facing wall of our house, it covers <"most of the back of the house">. It is an amazing flowering plant and nearly always has some flowers on it, but this is the main flush, and it will carry on flowering, off and on, all through the winter. It gets a lot of Bees (and Drone flies) on it when-ever the sun is out, both Bumble bees and Honey Bees.

You can hear the Bumble bees (mainly Bombus terrestris) "buzz pollinating" the flowers to collect the pollen, even in the middle of the winter.

Clematis_cirrhosa_Freckles.JPG

cheers Darrel

Or is it Get your garden in?... :rolleyes:
DSC_0389.jpg

It's Marmelade time again.. This year Blue Grape Boskoop with Sweet Golden Delicious Aplle and Thyme.. Usualy i'm generous with teh alcohol.. But this time i leave it out for a change.. :)

Hell of a job, sifting it all out to only get the grape juice.. Have some hours to go.. :what: But it's worth while.. :thumbup:

Pretty sure that’s covered by Apple Warranty ;) ;) ;)

(just need to find the right technician :p )

Hi all,
Front-garden
front_gardenjune2018-jpg.jpg
It looks like the drought last year has severly thinned out the herbaceous plants in the gravel garden (above in May 2018).

I wouldn't have watered it, even if I had been at home.

This was Saturday morning. There were quite a few "bulbs" left that had been over-grown, and are making the most of their opportunity.

gravel2019.JPG

cheers Darrel

Still looks okay though, it'll soon fill out again, hopefully it won't be so dry this year. Bulbs look nice, sure sign spring is on its way :)

Hi all,
it'll soon fill out again,
I was thinking I might try and rogue out the taller growing self-sown perennials (various Valerian (both Valeriana and Centranthus), Geraniums, Babbington's Leek, Eryngium giganteum, Aquilegia vulgaris etc.) and try and keep it to some smaller plants.

At the moment I weed out any Geranium x oxonianum seedlings, but just let everything else get on with it.
Bulbs look nice, sure sign spring is on its way
Mainly Crocuses and Cyclamen coum left, I don't have any Snowdrops or Narcissus left anywhere sunny, mainly because of the <"Narcissus Bulb Fly">, or any of the various Scilla spp. (mainly the ones that used to be Chionodoxa).

The <"Cyclamen coum"> were all from seed, and they don't normally flower anything like as well as this. I don't know if that was because of the summer in 2018, or the mild spring in 2019.

The Hellebores (Helleborus orientalis cultivars) are also good this year, they were also all from seed so they aren't the greatest colours.
Helleboru orientalis.JPG

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back