• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thanks Yo-Han. I've just posted on PlanetCatfish to get a second opinion. I really like the look of the L169.
So I had one reply on that forum.... Clearly not a active as UKAPS. :)

Basically it sounds like L169 will drastically re-shape my wood. I had no answers to my other questions about eating moss and use of CO2, which was a shame. :/

To be honest I can live with a little bit of background BBA. The Amano shrimp are really doing a grand job of stopping it from progressing. :)

In other news I'm considering some new fish. Something different from the usual shoal of tetras/rasbora etc. Possible even a big group of tank-bred Danio margatitatus. I can imagine these dashing in and out of the grasses. I adore the character of these little fish! :) I'll just have to not expect to sustain huge shrimp populations!

The moss is also thriving to the extent where I may be off-loading some Riccardia soon. PM me if you're interested.

I'll get some mossy shots soon. :)

Cheers,
George

Some mossy shots, as promised. And a couple of shrimp. :)

_MG_2556.jpg

_MG_2557.jpg

_MG_2559.jpg

This was photographed from above the tank through the surface
_MG_2565.jpg

Cherry shrimp
_MG_2571.jpg

Amano shrimp nibbling on an exoskeleton
_MG_2572.jpg

It looks fantastic George and more great photos :) the one of the moss from above is stunnning and looks an interesting plant, I'd be very gratefull if I could have a tiny amount of Riccardia to try when you do a trim ;)

Thanks guys. :)

Gary - the glassware comes off really easily on here. I actually think my hose is a touch bigger than 12mm but there's no leaking so it's ok! I do have to really tighten up the clamps on the inline diffuser though...

If you are finding it tough to remove your glassware/hose then first try squeezing the hose near the glass and twist/bend gently to break the seal. If that doesn't work then a hairdryer might work.

After breaking Dan Crawford's ADA inlet a few years ago I'm super careful now, but even so am on my second gUSH inlet! But that was dropping it on my granite kitchen surface. :(

Good luck. You'll soon find a reliable method that works for you. Glassware maintenance is all part of the fun of being an aquascaper! :)
I broke my ADA glass, a visit to A&E, x ray for glass in the wound and a large number of stitches on the inside of my middle finger, not pleasant....

Hi George.
Tank coming along very nicely and the riccardia looks superb. Do you just trim it with scissors or remove clumps? If you trim does this encourage natural spread of the plant horizontally. I have some in the upper region of my tank on wood which is growing and spreading well, but the lower portions on rock are less inclined to spread and are growing outwards. It could be a distribution issue but just wondering if you have noted any difference in growth within your tank!
Also do you find the black neons to stay mid/upper water layers and do they eat shrimp/shrimplets?
Cheers
Ady.

Thanks guys. :)

Ady - I just remove clumps of Riccardia with my fingers but if you want to control it better then pruning is probably better. I do find it goes more "leggy" in areas with less circulation and light.

Black neons do tend to shoal in the mid/upper levels. I've not seen them actively hunt shrimplets. I'm sure they're fine providing there's plenty of cover.

Hi George,
the tank looks fabulous !!! the more it grows the more I love it :thumbup:.
I think this tank will my inspiration for my scape in my new NA (if you don't mind of course ;)). inspiration will be for hardscpape not for the plants.
I like the stone arrangement, and how wood gives the effect of being stuck in these stone.
The mosses look so healthy. What is the main moss on the picture taken from above ?

This tank is taking off like a F16 !!
congrats for your clean work

cheers
Zanguli

Thanks Zanguli. :)

I look forward to seeing what you create.

The moss you can see is Riccardia chamedryfolia.

It's a very nice moss !!!
This time I will ask help of the members and from you to create my hardscape. I think I will proceed the same way than you, take my time. I will play with hard scape and sand, doing different scape that i will take picture of and put on the journal to have feedback on the different scape.

I think it a good way to proceed, you can have an outside look of your creation.

cheers and thanks

Looks brilliant.

Only two things:

The stone barrier looks a bit too garden like, the division in a sense becomes too dominant.

The sloping angle more or less cuts the tank in two similar size parts, which I think was a comment I also had on your previous scape.

Thomas
Thanks for the critique. Always interesting to hear a different perspective. :)

Love the new scape, and I'm a big fan of Danio margatitatus.

My uncle keeps them with shrimp, and they both breed with no problems. I'm currently on the look out for some for one of my tanks!

Definitely got your style down George. Stunning scape and unbelievable how quickly you go from day zero to something which looks so healthy, clean and established after less than a fortnight! (Some of us are struggling here ya know! ;)

I really wonder though what you'd do with a deep tank, a more vertical layout perhaps...

Either way, love the scape and the photography too, great eye for composition. Guessing you're loving that full frame camera and its razor thin depth of field :)

Back