• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garden Plant ID's. Post here!

Any one have an idea? It's a pretty common weed in my garden but not sure what it is. Thanks in advance

20200410_112710.jpg
20200410_112700.jpg
20200410_112622.jpg

Thanks Darrel, I've read the description of leaf form and position so will check later but it's a very good shout. If it is I'll try it in a suitable place.

I must say I daren't type the common name is to google:lol:

DSC_0880.JPG
DSC_0881.JPG
DSC_0882.JPG
Anyone know what this is? Is it a cotoneaster? The tiny white flowers shed petals constantly. These are blowing into our new pond and being eaten by the fish. I was wondering if its poisonous to the fish, which cotoneaster seems to be.

New shoots/foliage look different to the rest of the plant, and different to other pictures of cotoneasters, hence why I'm not sure.
Thanks

Ηi, I bought a Bamboo plant last year around Christmas. The only info on the tab was " non rampant bamboo". It also read that mature stalks get a blackish hue ,if it helps. I put it in a pot, it seems it has settled and has started producing new reeds.

Anyone have any idea of the species? I love the sound it makes when the wind sways it and this is why I bought it for the balcony since I do not have a garden.
601c29e0cb47df8f8eeaa382a75cf164.jpg
d356703a5c391c6bbd41a5e677089871.jpg

Your bush is a Spirea, of some kind. Here in Denmark they are popular named "snow-drift-bush". Mine blow petals in my (tiny!) pond, too, but I never noticed this to harm my goldfish.
It is quite typical for Spirea, that the new growing main-branches appear a little different.
The flowers often have a mild and pleasant, but very spicy fragrance.
- oh, and you might want to get rid of the numerous sap-suckers on that new growth. A good hosing with cold water usually help a lot.

Last edited:
Look like Fargesia nitida (= Black bamboo).
Since a lot of the bamboo types fhave fowered frequently, there are a lot of new varieties on the market (from different seed-plants) that differ more or less from original parents. I honestly don't know if Fargesia is amongst those. The original "Black Bamboo" can be quite big, I think.

I agree it's a fargesia sp bamboo. I have fargesia rufa that looks very similar/the same and it's a good clump forming species that won't take over. I also have phyllostachys nigra, from the very invasive bamboo genus, and it's not that. I keep that one in a very big planter above ground and on top of concrete.

Hi all,
The tiny white flowers shed petals constantly
@Mick.Dk is right it is Spirea and it won't flower for long. It looks like a, fairly unhappy, Spirea "arguta" "Bridal Wreath".

If you like it, and want to keep it, they are practically indestructible and if you give it a good prune now, it will flower much better next year.
Look like Fargesia nitida (= Black bamboo).
Looks about right. I don't think it is Phyllostachys nigra, which is the other usual "black" option. Fargesia spp. are clump forming, so non-invasive would seem right as well.

Bamboos are pretty tricky to identify and often you can only get a definitive ID when they flower, and then only because they have global synchronised flowering after incredibly long time period. The down side is the plant is then doomed (they are monocarpic), so you have to grow a new one from seed.

We used to have a large clump (clonal plant) of Fargesia murielae, but it flowered from ~1990 - 1992 before dying. It was about 80 years since the last flowering so allowed us to get an ID. and they flowered in the same period world wide.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, @Mick.Dk is right it is Spirea and it won't flower for long. It looks like a, fairly unhappy, Spirea "arguta" "Bridal Wreath". /QUOTE]

We inherited it when we moved in two years ago. The only thing I've done is chop a very low growing branch that was blocking half the bed. Being close to the fence it's shaded for half the day. I'll give it a prune. And a hose.
Thanks.

D5D5D2DE-6908-4CE0-9B9A-0A794372C4D4.jpeg
Hi all,
Just noticed this growing from one of my palms, I’ve had it for a couple of years now and not noticed it before! what is it? Will it flower?
Cheers

Attachments

• 54DFAFCC-2D07-49D0-8C48-4C5087D6337B.jpeg
    54DFAFCC-2D07-49D0-8C48-4C5087D6337B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 180
Does a plant exist that looks very much like Rosemary but isn't?

It grew on my sheds tile roof on old leaf litter.
View attachment 132992

My first best guess was this is Rosemary, but it kinda smells different and less strong than the Rosemary i know... It yet hasn't develop flowers.. So i'm in doubt and out of guesses?

Anybody?

Found out myself. :) with a flower and an app... (Pl@ntnet App, World Flora) Take a pic and it compares the database and comes with suggestions. Till now if there is a flower each time 100% correct... With leaf shape only it can be mistaken.

index.jpg

When the plant is young and without flowers it looks suspiciously alike Rosemary and it also smells good too...
But it seems to be rather poisonous to humans and animals (Liver Damage). And it doesn't seem to be recognized as such by animals, if cows find it they will eat it and then produce poisoned milk.. I guess it's the good smell playing parts in this.
Thus it's a :eek: nono plant... I did dispose of it...

Hi all,
Just noticed this growing from one of my palms, I’ve had it for a couple of years now and not noticed it before! what is it? Will it flower?
It will, it is a "Torquay Palm" Cordyline australis.
Till now if there is a flower each time 100% correct...
Looks like the correct ID: Senecio inaequidens
if cows find it they will eat it and then produce poisoned milk
They won't eat the growing plant, it is only an issue when it is dried in hay.

It is a S. African species and not common in the UK.

cheers Darrel

Couple of id's please. I bought some hemp agrimony seeds and this is what has come up. The slugs seem to love it

20200619_125414.jpg
20200619_125446.jpg
20200619_125457.jpg

And a couple of these grew magically out of something else.

20200619_125721.jpg
20200619_125854.jpg
20200619_125919.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
hemp agrimony seeds and this is what has come up.
That is real Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria), not Hemp Agrimony (Eupatorium cannabinum).
And a couple of these grew magically out of something else.
They look like Capsicum plants (Capsicum annuum), could be either Bell Peppers or Chillies.

They might possibly be another Solanaceae sp. (like Tamarillo (Solanum betaceum (Cyphomandra betacea)) or a Datura), but Bell Pepper is my guess.

cheers Darrel

Back