• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Freds new pond build

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's anyone in London who wants to take him and nurse him back to health with the right conditions let me know! I don't think there's anything else I can do.
Sorry to hear mate. Good luck with it all.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi Fred, I got him in to a bucket and hand fed him the peas, he is still very much alive, just can't swim, he let off wind when he came out of the pond. Just floated back to the bottom upside down when he went back in. If no improvement I'll consider the clove oil tomorrow.

if you decide on cloves oil . when you mix it in a bottle first. the water in the bottle needs to be not red hot or cold but warm to hot. and give it a good shake. for 2 or 3 minutes. then add it to the bowl. or bucket. and stir this in well. with the bucket water
if it was me i would put the full bottle in the mix. to make it quick and to make sure. i had a ghost koi . put 40 drops in the mix. and it did nt knock him out. also put a strong cover on the top with a weight on. so he cannot jump out.
then just walk away and leave it. i hated writing this down. all the best fred

Thanks for the advice Fred, I want to make it as quick as possible. He's still the same this morning and a lot of the peas are on the bottom of the pond - I don't want to do it but he must be suffering, is it worse to let nature take it's course, it could be days yet?

Thanks for the advice Fred, I want to make it as quick as possible. He's still the same this morning and a lot of the peas are on the bottom of the pond - I don't want to do it but he must be suffering, is it worse to let nature take it's course, it could be days yet?
I would help him out myself. If it was me. After you got in touch with me. I googled it. And some fish. Lived quite a while
So in my opinion. I would. Do it.
Only you can decide. You are seeing him daily. So you must know. What state he is in. I think you already know deep down what has to happen

I do think you are right, I've just never done anything like that before, there's always that doubt in your mind that he might make a recovery.

I do think you are right, I've just never done anything like that before, there's always that doubt in your mind that he might make a recovery.
Only thing left is the vets. But some vets. Don t know about fish. But you could try that

Only thing left is the vets. But some vets. Don t know about fish. But you could try that

Did you mean from the cloves. Or the illness. It sound like an internal bacterial infection. Or a packed up kidney or liver. To make it lose buoyancy.

Oh, the illness, but I'm pretty sure he won't recover but there's always that doubt. 15 isn't old for a Koi is it, had him since he was about as big as a finger.
The old st koi in the world lived to 147 years old. In the right environment in japan. In clay river lakes. On average in the uk about 25 to 30. In garden pond. I have one 19. And one 22 years old.
Bronze one chagoi. 19
Red white and black showa 22 years. I operated on both of these. You can see the showa. Asleep. While i worked on him. They nearly died. There both well now. Bacterial infection s. And finrot. I had to cut bone and tissue on the pair of them
The showa had a big hole as large as a fifty p piece. Glad i did it now. I was crapping my pants. Confident now though. I have repaired about 20 fish now. I have also put 3 to sleep for keeps.
So i know what your feeling.
c84b8a1614b55093e10d0f544b4cf378.jpg
dd3cc426e4ed138951bd0045e9f17d8b.jpg
aefdb922a65b20caa3ce981cb58528ac.jpg

Great pictures, they look well. 147? That's even older than Kirk Douglas!

there you go old st ever recorded
upload_2018-1-11_14-27-32.png

The oldest known fish (and indeed one of the longest living vertebrate ever recorded) was a beautiful scarlet coloured female Koi called 'Hanako' (pronunced hah-nah-koh; translated as 'Flower Maid'). Koi (Cyprinus carpio) are very well know and popular domesticated varieties of the common carp and their average life span is approximately 50 years. However, there are many known to age more than 100 years and this is probably why these fish have gained so much admiration in Japan and the rest of the world.

'Hanako' died at the grand old age of 226 on July 7, 1977! Born in 1751, incredibly 25 years before American independence, she weighed 7.5 kg and was 70 cm long. Her age could be reliably documented by analysing the rings on her scales, much in the same way that the age of trees are determined by counting the number of growth rings in the wood. These 'annual rings' on a fish's scale are too small to be seen by the human eye and so must be recorded with the use of a microscope. The process is so labour intensive that the analysis took about two months to get reliable result. Similarly, just like tree rings, the microscopic rings seen on fish scales reflect seasonal growth patterns, so where fish eat more and grow more in summer these rings are wider and winter scale rings are narrower.

just shows you. if i remember right. the Japanese fella was offered 1 million for it. of some multi millionaire.

'Hanako' spent her life in a pond at the base of Mt. Ontakein in Gifu,

Attachments

• 217923-451643984884944-2143752945-n.jpg
    217923-451643984884944-2143752945-n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 212
Tried to do it tonight but there's still a lot of life in him. He's in the bath which is warm with some salt and some of the plants from the pond. He's on his back but has more life in him than in the pond. He's on the surface but looks peaceful not stressed.

Hi Fred, McKoi died peacefully a short time ago and is now buried in the garden by the pond. Thanks for all your help and support. I appreciate it.

sorry to hear of your loss of your koi. georgie . its a shame mate. i know how you feel mate. i have lost a few over the years. and it never gets easier. just a shame we could nt get some scrapes and put them under the micro scope.
did you only have the one koi mate. what are the other fish all gold fish. what i hope , is that the incident on the koi. is only a one off. and that there is not an infection in the pond. and for you to lose any more fish.
like i say georgie, keep sampling the water with tests. Ph nitrite ammonia and nitrate. plus chlorine and kh and gh. even thought you are not feeding. they still produce ammonia. which still makes nitrite. and can harm the fish.

i am not saying you have done this. but as fish grow. people buy a filter. and at the start its adequate . while fish are small. then when they grow. they don t get a larger filter to cope with the demand of the toxic waste the fish have
started to produce as the fish grow.

i myself went from a average filter to mid table average to the top of the tree in filter stages. plus a larger pond. for the demand of the fish toxic waste.
we are not fish keepers we are water keepers. it took me 15 years for myself to realise this saying.

all i can say is sorry for your loss my friend. and keep up the good work of looking after your fish. you must have done something right . for getting a koi to the stage of being fifteen years old.
if i can help in the future. just get in touch. in fact stay in touch. all the very best fred

Hi Fred, I had two koi, they were presents, tiny when I got them, one died about 10 years ago, had no idea what McKoi would grow in to. Don't think my pond is ideal for Koi but the rest are goldfish/comet/shubunkin - two of those are 15 too. We did increase the pond by a third this summer thinking it would be better for him. Was thinking of finding a new home for him at that time, wish I had now.

Hi Fred, I had two koi, they were presents, tiny when I got them, one died about 10 years ago, had no idea what McKoi would grow in to. Don't think my pond is ideal for Koi but the rest are goldfish/comet/shubunkin - two of those are 15 too. We did increase the pond by a third this summer thinking it would be better for him. Was thinking of finding a new home for him at that time, wish I had now.
I would nt think like that mate. He had 15 years. He may have passed on in old age. Some age quicker then others. Look at the positives here. You say one passed on 10 years ago. So he was 5 years. I will give you an example. My old pond was 4 feet deep. My new pond is 7 feet deep. With 6 feet of water. I lost 4 fish. That transferred over to new pond. They could nt handle the depth. If i give advice on depth now. To a person building a pond. I tell them 4 1/2 feet deep. For some fish. They cannot take the depth and get swim bladder problems. 4 feet minimum if not heated. So the fish can get away from the wind chill on the surface. It s also in the genes. You had 1 koi lasted 5 years. And 1 lasted 15 years. In my book. You did nothing wrong. 15 years is a long time for a fish. Take a pedigree dog. Roughly live to 12 to 14 years. Mongrels i had two. 19 and 21 years. All my staffys passed on between 12 and 14. So even if you passed it on to some one. It may have gone now anyway. Or even sooner.

Heres a few of my grow ons. Grown over winter. Tank 500 gallons heated to 22c. 6 months. 4 inch.
I had 3 came out at 14 inch.3 at 12 inch. And 2 at 9 to 10 inch.
Fed 4 times a day. With protein food from queni koi. Plus shrimp foods
There now in main pond
56ebd53b8b25f5bef1c34ab1a4315b23.jpg
d7d6d2c836c321c2de08eb89de0c91ea.jpg
3d08094ab7256b100cd4ca6fc1dd983c.jpg
8ac9dcf18ad55db3d5fa29c7b8d5d439.jpg
5050579cb43e1f3c1598e79bf533748e.jpg

My fish in main pond have been getting fed for a week. Now.
My nitrite is showing a slight increase. So is my nitrate. So pond is maturing bio mass.
So to keep on top of nitrite. 10% water changes every day. Using ST as dechorination.
Plus it is up because of adding 8 new fish.

So to combat this. I am waiting for
100lts of hel x 13
Basicley its the same as k1. But with a larger working surface area.
So for arguments sake. You could use half of this. Of the ammount of k1
More expensive though
I will be mixing it with the 250 lts of k1 thats already in the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back