• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Untitled Yet 300L optiwhite (long waited update)

First 5 Bleeding Hearts got into the tank today... Looking great.

Thats great. They will look great when they shoal.
Remember the broom technique used by George to make them shoal nice in the front...

*Opps... Top secret unleashed!!

Broom technic? Was it when we did a photo shoot? I think i have missed that one.

looking really good Edward.
I look forward to a meet round yours sometime (hopefully in 2011!) when you feel comfy the tank is established :)

We want a video!!!

Broom technique is something George talked about in order to get the fish to swim in the middle :)

Thanks Matt. I am thinking about end of January or early February if everything goes well.

Rik, promise to make a video in couple weeks when Amanos and ottos combo hopefully help to tidy up a bit.

In the meantime does anyoneknow if diatoms grom on the glass as well, might it be that i am confusing it with GDA. The glass looks rather brownish than green.

Piece-of-fish said:
In the meantime does anyoneknow if diatoms grow on the glass as well.
yes ;) .

and another yes.

Jan\Feb is quite soon :)

Ah I cant wait to see this one Edward. Especially with some fish in :D

Thanks Tom.
Current residents:
8 Amano Shrimps
About 40 cherries
9 ottos
6 Black neon tetras
5 Bleeding Heart tetras
All looking happy in their new home.

Planning to add 10 more BH by the end of the week.

A bit of an update.
15 Bleeding hearts. Think that thats a bit too much and considering to remove some maybe.
6 black neons
10 cardinal neons.

Have some staghorn issues most definetely due to constantly pulling out annoying bits of riccia which was amongst parvula plantlets and thus clouding the substrate a little? Could be as well because of too much stock too fast?
Anyway. The problem is not too big.

Trimmed a week ago. Got studio lights of ebay today 2x250watts but just one receiver so will get another one and try out the lights and get some photos.

Now the bad bit: I really really hate these halide bulbs :sick: . They were 8000K but they werent labeled and were cheap. I havent got any experience with halide so cant really say if they are 8000 or not. The color of all plants is so pale i cant look at the tank no longer. Not green at all, only some sort of pale colorless mess. Should i try 5200 or 6500K?
Any suggestions? Will try to make pictures with strobe lights and see if the photos will be much different and then decide what to do.

I am thinking would i be allright with just one filter and 3000lph powerhead in this tank? That will reduce maintenance a lot and give me more funds to fund another projects. Thinking about gradually removing biofiltration from eheim and then selling it. I could get 2 decent second hand filters or 2 new superfish ones for the money i should get for it.

Piece-of-fish said:
They were 8000K but they werent labeled and were cheap

Piece-of-fish said:
Should i try 5200 or 6500K?

8000 is heading towards the whiter part of the scale and renders green real green iME If you come down you'll get warmer and warmer...less green.

The kelvin scale suggests that between 4000 and 5600 is the green part, but it doesn't seem to work like that for us.

Thanks Mark. Thats what i thought myself, that 8000 should be greener. Could there be another reason why plants look so pale? Any defficiency maybe. Or maybe its because the light are strong? Hmm.
Mark what do you think about the filters? Are you using 1 filter plus powerhead on your Prairie Lands?
Thanks.

Piece-of-fish said:
Mark what do you think about the filters? Are you using 1 filter plus powerhead on your Prairie Lands?

yes mate. ! filter rated @1500L per hour i think. I dont read too much into that, but the power head (no3) gives me the flow a require.

My filter has just bio balls in.

Piece-of-fish said:
Or maybe its because the light are strong? Hmm.

I recently swapped my luminaire with my metal halide, fitted with ADA NAMH. I was shocked at how crop the halide looked....or rather the bulb. Way too warm. Plants looked ill, but under a whiter light, they looked how i wanted. It's personal taste.

Thanks Mark. Will probably start reducing media in one filter gradually to stop it in about 6 weeks totally then. I am using Koralia 1 to supplement filters but have resun 3000lph to replace koralia when i stop the second filter.
Maybe i am using 5200 or lower without knowing it? As i say bulbs are not marked.

Piece-of-fish said:
one filter gradually to stop it in about 6 weeks totally then

Your choice mate, but I'd keep it as 'back up'... who's to say, that one day your single filter packs up? then what do you do? I'm playing it risky with one.

Need money for more tanks :D Ready to take the risk :oops: Furthermore cleaning 2 sets of lilies is killing me...

Thanks Vito. I wouldnt recommend buying the ones i bought. They are really rubish quality and the inlet has very narrow holes. Was quite happy with them though until i got a pair of cal aquas :lol:
Dont know about the ada staff, its way to expensive for me yet. I'd like to believe AquaticMagic on ebay is selling something of better quality, at least they look better than the ones i got. Maybe someone on here have tried them and might let us know.

Back