• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dymax Tropical 36 watt

Hi yes latter in the afternoon I have done the math and I have seen 1/16 for the 20G and 1/5 for my 70 G. But I was thinking its a bit lean !??

I prefer from far, dry dosing ! It s faster and easier. I like the estimative part loool

Hi yes latter in the afternoon I have done the math and I have seen 1/16 for the 20G and 1/5 for my 70 G. But I was thinking its a bit lean !??
Those are the standard numbers, so if your flow and distribution are not good enough there might be a problem. In any case, if you want to add more there is no law against adding more. Add as much as you want. There is no penalty - except cost of buying more powder.

Cheers,

Hi members

I am facing a CO2 issue on my tank.
Since two weeks I have installed a up atomizer on my outlet, and I have set my JBL regulator that I have since a month at a working pressure of 2,5 to 3 bar.
So my first problem is that when I want to add more CO2 I don't get a most of fine bubbles in my tank. But I get a mix of fine bubbles and big bubbles. So my level of CO2 is not good in the tank. And I start having my HC and my riccia melting !! And so an over all bad result in the tank.
Is it due to my working pressure that is to high and so passing too fast in the ceramic ??
Should I put it on the inlet for a better dissolution, without causing problem for my bacterial fauna in the filter, and also will I have issue of CO2 building up in the filter ?? I don't know if I make it clear ?

Second problem is that my regulator is fluctuating from 2,7 bar to 2,9 bar ! Is it a problem !

So for now what I have done because I cannot reach the good concentration of CO2 for the light I have. I have switch of one of the bulb so I have only 36w for 86L, and I have set my light a bit higher that before. Is this the good reaction before I find a solution ?

Hope that I will have a answer soon.
Thank you for your time, and your advices.

Regards

Hi mate,
It's good that you've reduced the light until you solved the problem. I've not used the Up so I can't tell with any certainty what the problem might be but search the forum using "atomizer" and see if there are others who have had the same difficulty. Could there be clogging or dirt? Maybe show a picture of the atomizer in action.

You can always port gas into the filter inlet. there is never a problem since bacteria like CO2 as well.

Cheers,

Well I have try to put it on the inlet but co2 is building up in the filter and every 5 min it get out in big bubbles. So I went back to the last set up with spray bar and a with a ceramic diffuser on the front glass. It very ugly but I know it works !

Do you think that my up atomizer have a problem since the factory or it is my working pressure that is too high ??

Cheers

Hi Clive thanks for your answer.
I a bit disappointed because I have almost lost all my HC and my riccia. But I know they will grow back with the decision of going back to the last set up.
The atomizer is new ! 2 weeks or 3. So I don't think that there is a clogging problem.

Know I am even thinking of set back my lily pipe because the set up that I have know is really ugly. It the problem is that it is not efficient as the spray bar is !!

Regards Clive
Zanguli

Hi
I am still battling with a unstable CO2 now since 3 days it s ok ! I have stabilize the CO2. But I went back with my last set up ( Lilly pipe on the left back corner pointing to the left front corner) but it is not as efficient as the spray bar is. So today I will put again the spray bar. My only problem is that my up aqua in line atomizer is not working. So I have to put my ceramic diffuser in the front glass. It s really ugly haha. So my question is :

Should I put it the more possible at the bottom of the glass ? Even burry it like that the ceramic is at the same level of the substrate ? Or should I put it 10 cm above the substrate ?

Second one
Since I have co2 related problem I have turn off one of the 36 w bulb and raise the light at 45 cm.
do you think I have enough light with only 36 w at 45 cm from the water for a 23 G tank ?

For know I have
Cryp mi oya
Cryp undulata
Cryp wendtii green
Microsorum sp narow
Mosses
Rotala sp green

Do you think I should go back to the spray bar or keep the lily pipe ?

Clive please need your help !!

Cheers guys thank you

Hi zanguli,
Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I was too lazy to read the previous post and I can't remember if you have tried porting the gas directly into the filter inlet. Did you try that yet? Try mounting the diffuser as low to the bottom as possible on the back wall. This gives more time for the bubbles to dissolve as they rise and the spraybar will push the water across. I never worry about having not enough light. That actually never happens unless you do a blackout for a week. I always worry about having too much light.

Is it possible your filter isn't strong enough? I can't remember what size filter you are using.

Cheers,

Hi Clive
Don't be sorry mate ! At
Least I know what is the problem !
Yes I have tried to put it on the inlet. But the problem was that gaz was building up in the filter and every 5 min a got a big stream of big bubbles and with this solution I don't reach a good concentration.
For the diffuser at the back I have tried it already and most of the bubbles were not push by the spray bar ! That,s why I have put it on the front.

I am starting to think that my filter is not enough powerful ! It a fluval 305 rate 900L/H on the paper so it should be 600 L/H in reality and my tank is 80 L.

So what should I do is put back the spray bar, diffuser on the front glass down to the substrate and leave the CO2 as it is now 3 bps. Light 36 w at 45 cm from the water surface.
And wait and see ????
In fact I don't really have the choice!!!

Hope that my cryp will not melt !! I know that they will grow again if they melt when the conditions will be goo for them.

Again thanks for your advices !! I really appreciate that you take time for me !!

Cheers

zanguli,
How much and what kind of media is inside the filter? You can get better flow if you remove the ceramic media and just use light foam. If you can get a bigger filter or Koralia that will definitely help. When you had the gas buildup problem were you using a diffuser next to the filter inlet?

Cheers,

Hi Clive
In my filter I have first
- foam light one ( fluval that came with de filter)
- 1 L Eheim Mec
- +/- 1 L bio balls like bio rio
+/- 1 L ceramic noodles
Do you think these media can reduce flow more that light foam.

When I putted the device on the inlet, it was the more far away from the filter.

I have a small internal pump 400 L/h but with the spray bar that 4/5 th of the tank where can I place it ? I'll take a pic of the set up when I ll be back home

Thanks for your answer.
Cheers

Hi zanguli,
Mate yeah, you can remove all of that ceramic. The noodles are the worst for flow because their job is specifically to reduce the flow which helps to allow the large heavier particles to settle out of solution. Flow is more important right now so I would just slowly replace the media with more of the same foam.

Place the pump at the 5th/5th where the spraybar ends I reckon. I really need to see a picture to be clear mate. Call your sister and borrow her camera!

Cheers,

Hi
So I have follow your advice, and I took out 1 L of Eheim Mec. Next one will be the ceramic noodles. How many time should I wait between each replacement ? 2 weeks ? I can already see a difference in the flow with the Eheim out !!!
Yesterday a give the tank a good clean and put back the spray bar and the co 2 on front glass. Now again I can tell, with all my convincing that spray bar is from far the best for a good flow. I will put you some pic.
I notice a problem with my spray bar. The bar is covering the 4/5th of the tank, from left to right. But on the front glass I can clearly see that it is the 2/3rd from right to left that have the more flow velocity. Leaving the the 1/3rd right part with a mediocre flow. I don't know if I made my self clear haha. That's why on the pic you can see that the co2 diffuser is more on the left side than in the middle. But at least I can see that most of the co2 bubbles are being dissolved.
So what I will do is leaving the set up like that and order an other up in line.
Here is a pic of the set up, sorry for the quality
y8u2e2uq.jpg

sysy9ene.jpg

Thanks again for you help that's great having some one like you helping me.

Cheers

Hi zanguli,
It's just as I mentioned. I would place the pump in that gap on the right side of the picture where the spraybar ends. Put it at the same level. That will help to even out the flow and will help to force the water to assume the shape that we are looking for. That's always the default position. You may find for this tank that you need to change it, but that's the best starting point.

I thought you might have had fish in the tank so that's why I said to gradually remove media. If there are no fish the remove as much media as you want straight away!

Cheers,

Ha I forgot to ask two things.
First I have an algae that is brown and covering all the leaves. It's kind of GDA but thinner and brown here is a pic.
2a6y8aba.jpg

You can see it on the Microsorum leaves. So what is it please. It s making the tank ugly like hell. Every thing is brown in there. And if you rub it it is not going strait away, you need to a good rub to take it off.

Ok my second question is about the substrate. I have only 9 L of aqua soil in there. But it is not enough. The plants Cannot settle in that small layer of substrate. If you only touch or pass to fast with the sponge near stem plant they up roots. With the big grain size of the AS I have had a lot of problem to settle HC also.
So I wanted to put some Congo river sand. I will pass it through a fine mosquito net to get only nice grain.
What is the size of the layer I should top up, to be sure that the sand will not mix with the AS. In from I can add 5-7 cm of Congo sand, and at the back add a bit more to have a nice slop.
Do you think this is ok mate ?

Cheers
Thanks again

Yes my two tank are fish less, because I want first to learn as much as I can about plants !!! :) I think in one year also I will put fish. But I am happy with only plants !!!!

Mate the think that is weird, is that the part of the tank that have the best flow is where there is the empty gap (no spray bar). So I don't really know how I can improve flow on the left part because there is the spray bar there.

Ok as soon as I go back home after work ( yes we don't do the English week here lol, we even work on Sundays. ) I take out all the ceramic and balls media from the filter. Haha that's a good news.

Cheers mate

You can see it on the Microsorum leaves. So what is it please. It s making the tank ugly like hell. Every thing is brown in there. And if you rub it it is not going strait away, you need to a good rub to take it off.
Hi Zanguli,
If it comes off when you rub then this is just diatomic algae which sometimes happens on newly setup tanks, especially if the lighting is too high and if the flow/CO2 is not good. I think you had this before on another tank (or was I only dreaming? There are so many tanks with problems) Anyway, try a 3 day blackout. Now that you have fixed the flow and CO2 hopefully it won't com back. Do lots of water changes.

the think that is weird, is that the part of the tank that have the best flow is where there is the empty gap (no spray bar). So I don't really know how I can improve flow on the left part because there is the spray bar there.
We cannot predict how flow patterns will happen in the tank. Place the powerhead at the gap on the right. Then make another assessment. Fluids do not behave as we think they should. They follow their own very specific rules.

So I wanted to put some Congo river sand. I will pass it through a fine mosquito net to get only nice grain. What is the size of the layer I should top up, to be sure that the sand will not mix with the AS. In from I can add 5-7 cm of Congo sand, and at the back add a bit more to have a nice slop. Do you think this is ok mate ?
The smaller size sand, which is also heavier, will always fall through to the bottom, so it would be better to just remove the AS and add your sand and then replace AS on top of the sand (I'm assuming the sand is smaller than the AS). If you want to keep the slop from collapsing and getting flat, then you must insert retaining walls across the length of the tank at various locations. You can use any material to build the walls such as plastic plate or rocks. You can add as much sand as you want, but if you don't want to see the sand under the AS then insert another retaining wall just a few centimeters from the front glass and then fill that narrow gap with AS so it appears that everything is AS. The same story for the sides if that's important to you.

Cheers,

Hi
So I have done the changes
I have place a coralia 1600 L/H, and wow flow now is very good !! A bit unbalance but that is ok. Unbalance because now the power head is stronger than the filter. But when I will order the new up aqua in line, I will order two nano coralia 900 L/h and put one one the left and one on the right, and place the spray bar in the middle this will be perfect.
Now I just need to find some foam to take out all the ceramic in my filter. I ll ask a friend of mine who use to have a big sump in his tank, and now he use 4x FX 5 on his tank.

Just a question if flow have too much velocity, it will not cause problem for the uptake of nutrient and CO2? Because water is passing too fast trough the membrane that surround the leave ? Or I am just dreaming lol ?

For the sand I will just remove all the AS and put Congo river sand. It have a nice brown/yellow color.
Because I have had problem with HC and glosso with the big size of AS grain.
Or is it possible by drying back the AS like that I can crush it or pass it trough a net to have smaller grain ?

Here is a pic of the set up. Sorry for the quality but at lest you can see that the coralia is well place. At the same height and pointing in the same direction of the spray bar.
now with the new set up I can clearly see that the bubble of CO2 can't escape the whirlpool of flow. That's nice

e6uje7u9.jpg

Take care

Cheers

Back