• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dymax Tropical 36 watt

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hello,
I am using 2x36 watt Dymax tropical on my 30 G planted tank, with CO2 and EI.
First I was using 1x36 watt for 3 month or so, but growth was not very good so since 2 weeks I'm using the 3.
I wanted to know if some one have already use Dymax Tropical light ??
Are they good for planted tank ?

Thank you very much for your time.
Cheers
Zanguli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Zanguli,
I'm doing OK mate. I wouldn't mind getting some of your Congolese weather, to be honest. I wish you could put some in the post and send it express.:coldfeet:

As Palm Tree suggests, if you are getting algae in that tank then the answer to your question is: "No it is not good".

If you are not getting algae then the answer is "Yes, it is good".

You didn't mention which plants are in the tank. Some may be slow to get started. More water changes and more CO2 will help.

Cheers,

Hi ,
hahaha i wish I could send you that !!! But without joke this year we have really hot weather !! For one year my tank was at 26 C° since a week temp is going from 29 C° to 31C°.
yesterday we had 42 C° out side, it was hell !!! and for Congo that's not usual at all !!
As you know I have two tank. The first one 60G is having algae issues again, but the second one (the one we are talking in this thread) doesn't have algae problems.
It s only since two weeks that I have turn on the second bulb, so I will control for algae !!! In fact that tank is a test tank. I would like to push a bit the lights, to see where I could reach and if I can manage that strong lights !!!
CO2 is on 24/7 initial Ph is 7.3 and tank ph is at 5.7, there is no stock live in this tank. My only problem is ferts I don't know until were I can push, but I don't have GBA, no GSA, so maybe ferts are good :crazy: lol. I am using ADA amazonia soil.

In that tank there is,
-rotala rondi. red sp
-Hemianthus micranthemoides
-Hemianthus callitrichoides
- Cryptocorine wendtii mioya
-glossostigma
-Riccia
-ludwigia accurata
-flam moss
-spike moss
-chrismass moss
- and I have one echinodorus I don't know if it is telenus i don't think so because it can go to 60 cm long, i will put a pic.

I don't know if there are slow starter in here ??

The only thing that make me sad with that tank, is that when I cam back from thailand, I have bring the ludwigia accurata, and it was very healthy, very red and growing like crazy in the first tank.
The day I had scape the second tank I decided to move the ludwigia to that tank. It was a huge mistake !!!!!! the plants was starting to melt from the bottom, and on almost 40 to 50 stem, today I have 7 stem !!! I don't know why ?? But at least I save the plant !! :crazy:
Let me put a pic of how it was before i move it !
Does some know a thread talking about that plant ? because I have read some where that it's a hard plant !!

Well i think it's better that I start a journal about that tank ??!!!

cheers and thanks again for your time guys

Zanguli

yhu2upaz.jpg

Unfortunately that s the only good pic I have of it

Regards

Hi mate,
That looks pretty nice to me. I think you just need some patience. Of course the mosses, the glosso and the H. callitrichoides are very slow and take a while to get going. As usual, the Ludwigia should have had more CO2 and that would have helped with the melting. If there are no fish then you can pump as much CO2 in the tank as you want.

Cheers,

Hi,
I wanted to know if you think I should give a good trim on this HC to get more runners and more density ??
ehy3u8ag.jpg

y6u9y7yq.jpg

If yes, should I trim it right to the substrate or I just trim one or two cm ?

Thanks again for your time
Soon I will start a journal of that tank

Best regards
Zanguli

what you can see in the some of the HC is not algae !!!!
it's riccia growing inside the HC then dying in side the HC !
not all the HC have it, only two group of it have it.
sorry for the quality of the pic, but it's hard to take close up pic with iphone!

cheers

OK, well, next time you are in Thailand maybe you can buy a DSLR. :p

Trim the HC right to the carpet like a lawn mower, and if you have the patience, replant the trimmings using a pair of forceps or tongs. When the carpet plants grow upward like that then it usually means that flow to the lower front area is not as good as it should be. Cutting the plant induces the new growth to be more adapted to being under water. If the new growth continues to grow upwards then you might need to revisit your flow/distribution. At least it's not turning brown or melting though, so that's always a good sign.

Cheers,

Hi thanks for your answer,

I am sorry but i don't know what is a DSLR :confused: ????
Ok so I should trim it as much as I can to the substrate !
Maybe your right about the flow because I had some plants that was a bit blocking the flow on the left back corner, but yesterday night I took out these plant, I gave also a good trim to the moss that was on the left and also to the background plants.
I think now it will be ok !!! I have done that yesterday at midnight and your are advising me to do it today !! kind of telepathy hehe :D.
It's a 85 L tank with a fluval 305 on it so I think that if I monitor well the plants I should have no problem of flow ??!!
Do you know a good thread about ludwigia arcuata ?

thanks again for your good advice.

;)Sorry mate DSLR is just a digital camera (Digital Single Lens Reflex). Nikon and Canon are the popular brands.

I'm not sure what the flow rating is for the 305 but even so, having the flow is one thing, but distributing the flow energy to the areas that need it is actually very difficult. That's why I like the spraybar concept.

Yes, lawn mower is the device to cut you grass, so when we use this term it's to cut it down right to the substrate. It will look very ugly for some time until it grows back. L. acuata is not all that popular as far as I can see, but it's a very nice plant. I don't know of any threads off hand but just do a forum search using that name.

Cheers,

Hi,
My sister have a Canon D5 so I ll ask her to take pic of my tank ! I ll try to find a tripod for her !!
the fluval 305 is rating 900L/h on the paper I don't know the net rate ! I will look at the flow for the coming month if I see that HC is still growing upward. So if I understand well it will be the same for the glosso, if it's growing growing upward, there is a flow problem ?? The HC is on the front left and the glosso on the front right, and it's getting less flow ! but no melting no browning !
An other thing is that I can't cut too much the HC because I am using ADA AS and it's not the powder type so if I cut too much the HC it will uproot !!!
at least I had cut it as much as I can !!! I let you know what will happen !

best regards
Zanguli

Hi,
It's been a week that I had trim the HC, it's start to respond well !!
I have also look at flow down to the lower front, it seem to be ok, but I am sure at 70% that i will switch to spraybar instead of lilly pipe !! you are always right Clive LOL.
let me monitor the front part of the tank for 2 more weeks and I ll let you know !!
thanks again

Best regards

Back