• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Clear suction cups turn white

PaulLB

My plastic suction cups go from being perfectly see-through to an opaque milky white after about a month submersed. No amount of scrubbing seems to remove this and return them to their original al transparent state.

Is there anything to prevent or reverse this, or different type that doesn’t go white?

Photo below showing a “white” suction cup on my CO2 indicator that’s been immersed for about a month next to a brand new suction cup.

Attachments

• 8A80D304-246A-48F9-832A-0EE68593519E.jpeg
    8A80D304-246A-48F9-832A-0EE68593519E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 240
My guess is it's the water conditioner causing it(or possibly ferts). Some type of chemical reaction with the material. It happens with all of mine too. I have been meaning to do an experiment to see if it is in fact the Seachem Prime causing it.

Yes, there is a lot of variation in quality with suction cups unfortunately. All you have to do is try a quality German made one from Eheim to see the difference. Quality clear ones are hard to source though. Does anyone know of any high quality clear ones made in the US or Europe?

Hi all,
It can also be a reaction to the light or to the acidity of the water.
This probably doesn't help a lot, but clear air line tubing (just on the venturi), Eheim green tubing (between the venturi end and the hard installation set of the filter outlet) and clear suckers basically all go brittle and hard in my tanks, fairly quickly. The air line tubing also goes pink, it isn't a deposit it is the tubing itself.

I don't use a dechlorinator (tanks are ~100% rain-water) or much fertiliser and it only happens to the tubing that is immersed.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

This probably doesn't help a lot, but clear air line tubing (just on the venturi), Eheim green tubing (between the venturi end and the hard installation set of the filter outlet) and clear suckers basically all go brittle and hard in my tanks, fairly quickly. The air line tubing also goes pink, it isn't a deposit it is the tubing itself.
I have noticed this too but, only with 1 kind of my tubing. I have 4 different types of tubing and only one of them turns pink/reddish(all exposed to the same conditions). Thats what led me to hypothesize it was a chemical reaction with the material in some of the tubing/suction cups and one of the chemicals we put in our tanks(my guess was dechlorinator).
I don't use a dechlorinator (tanks are ~100% rain-water) or much fertiliser and it only happens to the tubing that is immersed.

cheers Darrel
Interesting. Maybe it is how acidic/basic the water is then? What is the pH of your rain water? My pH is 7.8 so I am thinking it is not tied to acidity? Do you have a hypothesis?

I believe most suckers and tubing are made from plasticised PVC.
The plasticiser is what gives it its flexibility. There are many plasticisers available, some can be extracted by water immersion, others are much less affected but do cost more and are more difficult to process so they probably compromise .
Pink staining is usually associated with fungal attack (often in shower curtains). It permeates through the polymer not just on the surface. High light or heat would give a yellow or brown staining through oxidation.
Unfotunately many items are made in China and quality/fitness for purpose are not high on the agenda.
Cheers
John

Hi all,
Maybe it is how acidic/basic the water is then? What is the pH of your rain water? My pH is 7.8 so I am thinking it is not tied to acidity?
It will vary, during the day it will be somewhere near pH8, but it must fall below pH7 at night sometimes because my snails never get very big and always <"show shell attrition">.

You can see both shell attrition and pink venturi air-line (bottom right) in this photo.
snail_tank_july2020crop-jpg.151956

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It will vary, during the day it will be somewhere near pH8, but it must fall below pH7 at night sometimes because my snails never get very big and always <"show shell attrition">.

You can see both shell attrition and pink venturi air-line (bottom right) in this photo.

cheers Darrel
Wow, that really is pink!
Some of the airline tubing I use for drip irrigation on the drip wall is now white and that has never been immersed, though it is tank water (rain water too) running through it.
I've got some clear suction cups in my exo-terra which the orchids hang from. They are still clear (so far) and they've been misted several times a day with rain water. I'm guessing they'll also go white eventually.
Curiously, some of the clear silicone I used has also gone white...

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
What's the deal with the venturi Darrel? Is it like an inline CO2 diffuser that injects air? Is that a canister outlet line? I've never seen this type of setup but am interested...

If you want to get rid of the pink, try a different brand of air line. In my old 1L beaker setup(not sure if you remember my pics) each tank was identical and only the one type of air line went pink. If I recall it was a more siliconey(that's a word cuz I said so😂) type of line and more flexible then a standard pvc one. So, maybe it is the different plasticisers as Jolt said? Or, maybe silicone air line? It would be interesting to get to the bottom of it....

I’ve started using Black silicone airline in my takes. I now prefer it to the clear stuff. I have seen grey which looks quite nice but not been able to source it at a reasonable price.

Is there anything to prevent or reverse this, or different type that doesn’t go white?

Now I'm being silly I guess... But yes let them dry and they become transparent again... And yes, even more, silly a black one, but not for me I like black better than white...

I know they suck!! :mad:

These are a bit pricey but, if they work out I think I may just convert most of my suction cups over to them...
mag-clip-suction-cups.jpg

81xDl2Gyz5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Has anyone tried them?

In the meantime, Eheim makes the best suction cups I have found(German made so it doesn't surprise me) but, they are only available in Dark Grey...

Hi all,

Yes, that is an Eheim one <"EHEIM Diffusor">. I started using them where it wasn't easy to get a spray-bar in the tank and because <"I could aim the stream of bubbles at the intake sponge">.

venturi2_zpsdxwhr1q8-jpg-jpg-jpg.176828

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, I knew about their regular Adjustable Air Diffuser but, wasn't aware of that one. It looks interesting, I may need to try one. Can it be mounted inline like an inline CO2 diffuser? Like in between the canister and outlet pipes?

Hi all,

Yes, if you <"look at the photo">, the little bit of 12/16 Eheim tubing just goes to the<" shepherd's crook"> and the shepherd's crook joins the tubing from the filter outlet, via a <"single tap">.

cheers Darrel
Ok, I see now. It was just hard to see in the picture. Thanks Darrel👍.

So, would there be any advantages/disadvantages and/or differences between using this Eheim unit for inline air injection vs a standard inline CO2 diffuser like these for instance...
51tFjKEJJJL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

PhotoRoom-20220202_063504_1200x.png

Back