• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Anyone have fert list to make 2hr aquarist APT Complete please.

senyk

Seedling
@Deano3 how did this mix end up working for you in comparison to apt complete?

I also have a few questions to replicate apt complete specifically for @Zues. and @Hanuman ( thanks for all your detailed help in this thread so far) Its my first time mixing nutrients and I’m using the calculator – I had to change the dose to 4ml daily from 3ml because using potassium sulfate was pushing the solubility too high. (Screenshot attached of what i hope is the final mix)

Context for questions: I am considering GLA’s PPS-Pro EDTA + DTPA package since online it says ph effects iron and it has the macro ferts. I wasn’t sure if that meant just the ph of the fert solution in the bottle or the ph of the tank, so I figured this covered all bases. My fish tank ph ranges from 7.6 to 6.6 reduced w/ Co2 and GH/KH also varies throughout the week as I have seriyu stone leaching minerals into the water rising as the week goes on. I do water changes once every 1-2 weeks with RO water remineralize to 80-90ppm via salty shrimp gh+.

Questions:
  • Do either of you agree with my thinking and EDTA + DTPA would be better or should i stick to just EDTA? ( I ask because the EDTA + DTPA option is not contained in the calculator and I don’t want to mess this up by going off on my own and trying a new fert)
  • Is the fish tank water ph relevant when selecting nutrients or just the solution in the fert bottle?
  • What is the max length of time I can realistically keep nutrients at room temp and what is the best way to extend the max amount of time? ( I was aiming to make a batch that would last me either 26 or 52 weeks, ~750 or ~1500 ml ) It seems like NilocG and APT have found a way to have their ferts not expire rapidly outside of refrigeration, so I’m hopeful I can replicate
  • Do I need to shake the nutrients over time or will they always be suspended equally in the solution?
  • I know Dennis doesn’t release his trace fert information, but looks like theres a lot of different trace fert options online. How does one pick the best trace fert mix to match what is theoretically in apt complete ( best guess ) and should I be targeting a different one than GLA's? or is there no real way to know this/it doesn’t matter?
  • Being that im making an AIO, can i mix everything in a single large container or do i still need to use the special bottles that come in the fert mixing kits and make 500 ml at a time?

Thanks in advance for helping out this newbie!

Attachments

• 2022-11-16 02_19_31-IFC-Fert-Calculator_v1.2b5.xlsx - Excel.png
    2022-11-16 02_19_31-IFC-Fert-Calculator_v1.2b5.xlsx - Excel.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 33

Hanuman

Do either of you agree with my thinking and EDTA + DTPA would be better or should i stick to just EDTA? ( I ask because the EDTA + DTPA option is not contained in the calculator and I don’t want to mess this up by going off on my own and trying a new fert)
You can use both is fine or one alone.

Is the fish tank water ph relevant when selecting nutrients or just the solution in the fert bottle?
Not at all, well maybe for Iron chelates and if you use certain chelated traces.
file-TjRiGNYWdw.png

The solution in the fert bottles needs to be acidified so that elements inside the solution don't interact and precipitate out. Anywhere between 3-5PH should be fine. That's why we advise using Ascorbic Acid + potassium sorbate.
Ferts that you add in your tank have absolutely no effect on the PH of your tank water considering the minute amounts you are adding in relation to the tank volume.

What is the max length of time I can realistically keep nutrients at room temp and what is the best way to extend the max amount of time? ( I was aiming to make a batch that would last me either 26 or 52 weeks, ~750 or ~1500 ml ) It seems like NilocG and APT have found a way to have their ferts not expire rapidly outside of refrigeration, so I’m hopeful I can replicate
Well you can't compare what a manufacturer does to what we are doing in our homes. Actual industrial manufacturers have several protocols in place and mixtures that allow them to have a clean end product. When we DIY it's not the same. We introduce patogens and use mild acids. One way to extend the shelf life of DIY fert is to use Sodium benzoate in place of ascorbic acid + potassium sorbate. In principle the DTPA > 10% will acidify the water. DTPA <10% will do the opposite so you need to use higher % Fe DTPA.
We recommend usually that you don't produce fert that last more than 4-8 weeks. Can be more if you are careful etc.

Do I need to shake the nutrients over time or will they always be suspended equally in the solution?
If you see a lot of precipitation through time then it means you did something wrong. If only a little then you could give it a shake. I personally don't bother since I prepare solution every 2-3 months.

I know Dennis doesn’t release his trace fert information, but looks like theres a lot of different trace fert options online. How does one pick the best trace fert mix to match what is theoretically in apt complete ( best guess ) and should I be targeting a different one than GLA's? or is there no real way to know this/it doesn’t matter?
Just pick one, really. They'll all do.

Being that im making an AIO, can i mix everything in a single large container or do i still need to use the special bottles that come in the fert mixing kits and make 500 ml at a time?
If you are going to do an AIO you would always need to acidify the receiving water prior adding anything in it. In any case don't make solution too concentrated.

Last edited: