• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
video

Finally got round to making a quick video with the Canon. You've got to love that Myriophyllum - really shows up how it actually looks on video, photos just don't do it justice.

CO2 had been on for a quite a few hours so the fish are a bit static, and the reflections are a bit noticeable. The shots with bubbles in the water are with an UP atomiser, the rest are since I sorted the AM1000.

Re: 259L bookcase tank - nature photography

Static ? Lol, some of them look almost comatose :lol: Have you considered increasing oxygen in order to support the higher CO2 level and make it more comfortable for the fish ? Tom Barr is a big advocate of this and since using one filter return above the water line and the CO2 supply filter feeding below the water line I have noticed my fish are a lot happier :thumbup:

Re: 259L bookcase tank - nature photography / new video

Was maybe a bit higher than usual today due to the switch to the AM1000 and trying to get it spot on. In general, I have one outlet just about on the surface. Otherwise not bothered - red head tetras still coloured up fine, and that's my barometer!

mikeappleby said:
red head tetras still coloured up fine, and that's my barometer!
Hi Mike,
i know rummy noses are used to judge water quality eg nitrites, but in my experience they are more tolerant of c02 than many other species so maybe not the best barometer. Id use any fish thats showing distress as the barometer.
Swapping c02 method is always tricky and does take some dialing in as i know your already aware and im sure youll get it spot on again :thumbup:
Tank is coming along nicely agin after the rescape and the moss on the rocks in particular looks very healthy.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: 259L bookcase tank - nature photography

faizal said:
Whitey89 said:
The plant in the last photo sure looks to be some relation to ammania sp. 'Bonsai' or Bacopa Caroliniana don't you think?

Yeah,... :D I was thinking the same thing

It seems to be growing...! :angelic: But much more elongated between leaves than this:

2012-08-05%20at%2015-47-15.jpg

Will update in a week or so if it hasn't died yet. The glasswort is a goner which is why I have some hope about this

Hi all,
This I don't know what it is, but was growing submerged sometimes in streams. Though with the weather we've had, maybe it's not usually a stream. Anyone know what it is?.....Looks like it could be something in the Crassacea family? Maybe??
It does look like a succulent, assuming it was somewhere salty? it looks like Sea Milkwort, (Glaux maritima, Primulaceae). It grows in salt-marshes, so must be tolerant of low oxygen levels at the root, and occasional submersion in sea water.

glaux-maritima-1.jpg

cheers Darrel

I think your tank is beautiful but your fish look like they are really gasping. I'll say this with my usual tact, I don't think a beautiful tank should come at the cost of making the fish uncomfortable...

Here's a quick photo update:

2012-08-15%20at%2022-20-08.jpg

and here's how it was two weeks ago

2012-07-27%20at%2021-06-46.jpg

really makes keeping a journal worthwhile to see these kind of changes. to the eye, it looks like it doesn't change, especially the carpet plants. i guess that's what comes of having it near the breakfast table. Those stones really do lose the purple colour quickly with the diatom algae...

Getting some good growth there Mike. I especially like the moss growth on top of the rocks.. looking very natural :)

pariahrob said:
The possible downside is the background stems look a little lonely.

Yup - have a plan for how to trim them when they're all a bit thicker and bushier, and I've grown out about three or four times as many stems.

Back