• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination

Hi @Happi, before I buy, just confirming:
60 liter aquarium (combined Recipe)
1000 ml, 20 ml dose
10 ml White Vinegar
0.5 gram potassium sorbate
3.63 gram Solufeed Sodium Free TEC
20 gram Solufeed 2:1:4
21.62 gram KNO3
15.54 grams K2SO4

Is the 1000 ml distilled water?

I've screenshot my order (- the 2 Solufeeds, vinegar, distilled water).

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    470.3 KB · Views: 72
Hi @Happi, before I buy, just confirming:
60 liter aquarium (combined Recipe)
1000 ml, 20 ml dose
10 ml White Vinegar
3.63 gram Solufeed Sodium Free TEC
20 gram Solufeed 2:1:4
21.62 gram KNO3
15.54 grams K2SO4
looks correct, keep in mind that 20 ml dose per 60 liter will add the following:
1717264127157.png

if you are aiming for lower dose such as 1 ppm N, then you dose 10 ml dose per 60 liter.

Is the 1000 ml distilled water?
yes, I do not recommend using RO water, Distilled water is much more pure. when you start working on this, make sure you start with about 800 ml Distilled water and then add all those listed chemicals and then mix until fully dissolve and then add more distilled water to reach 1000 ml total.

Thanks mate- you're a star!
in case if you or anyone else were interested in this one or want to try it. this is almost the clone version of TNC Complete. The main difference in these version is that you do not have to use the Solufeed 2:1:4

Recipe #1
1000 ml, 20 ml per 60 liters
10 ml White Vinegar
4 gram TEC - Sodium Free
44.66 gram KNO3
3.63 gram KH2PO4
5.15 gram K2SO4

N 2.063
P 0.275
K 6.875
Fe 0.11 (EDTA Fe)
Mn 0.027
B 0.012
Zn 0.015
CU 0.003
Mo 0.002

Recipe #2
1000 ml, 20 ml per 60 liters
10 ml White Vinegar
5.07 gram Sodium FreeCoir TEC
44.66 gram KNO3
3.63 gram KH2PO4
5.15 gram K2SO4

N 2.063
P 0.275
K 6.875
Fe 0.11 (DTPA Fe)
Mn 0.047
B 0.0062
Zn 0.0346
Cu 0.0038
Mo 0.0028

1717288191985.png

Last edited:
All my ingredients have arrived. Just need white vinegar and distilled/deionised water. @Happi do these look right to you? Many thanks.

Edit: got the water and vinegar, so ready to go!

Attachments

• 20240619_161102.jpg
    20240619_161102.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • 20240621_172032.jpg
    20240621_172032.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
A little update.... been using the mix for around 10 days now, and the plants are loving it! It seems to be even better than the TNC Complete it replaced, with everything growing very well. Very happy with @Happi! Thank you!
Hi @Cazza and @Happi,
You've inspired me to give this a go. I like the idea of TNC Complete, but not the price. I have the necessaries now. I have a 230 Litre tank and would need approx. 75ml at this concentration.

Is it possible to triple the concentration? I hear there is a maximum limit to how soluble salts are.

I'd give the IFC Calc a go, but I'm a Linux user and the tech notes precludes me from running it.

Best,
Brian

Hi @Cazza and @Happi,
You've inspired me to give this a go. I like the idea of TNC Complete, but not the price. I have the necessaries now. I have a 230 Litre tank and would need approx. 75ml at this concentration.

Is it possible to triple the concentration? I hear there is a maximum limit to how soluble salts are.

I'd give the IFC Calc a go, but I'm a Linux user and the tech notes precludes me from running it.

Best,
Brian
Hi Brian,

you can double these listed ingredients into 1000 ml solution and dose about 35-40 ml per 230 Liter Aquarium, which will give you similar numbers listed as ppm.

I believe, you should be fine far as solubility goes. The primary thing being increased in high quantity here is KNO3 which is highly soluble, we are also keeping the SO4 level low in the solution that is coming from K2SO4, so solubility of K and SO4 shouldn't be a problem either, even though high amount of K is coming from KNO3.

I didn't use the calculator to check the solubility, but based on what I can tell looking at the numbers, there shouldn't be any problem.

Hi Brian,

you can double these listed ingredients into 1000 ml solution and dose about 35-40 ml per 230 Liter Aquarium, which will give you similar numbers listed as ppm.

I believe, you should be fine far as solubility goes. The primary thing being increased in high quantity here is KNO3 which is highly soluble, we are also keeping the SO4 level low in the solution that is coming from K2SO4, so solubility of K and SO4 shouldn't be a problem either, even though high amount of K is coming from KNO3.

I didn't use the calculator to check the solubility, but based on what I can tell looking at the numbers, there shouldn't be any problem.
Hi @Happi ,
I'll double the amounts as you said. 35 to 40ml doses. Sounds like a plan.
I'll have to measure how many ml are squirted from my bottle. 10 squirts divided by 10 should give me a nice measure (or 20. We will see 🙂).

There was talk about Magnesium. Do I need to add some? Sorry, it's a bit late and my brain is fried. I don't think there is much in the tap water.
Many thanks @Happi
Best,
Brian

There was talk about Magnesium. Do I need to add some? Sorry, it's a bit late and my brain is fried. I don't think there is much in the tap water.
Many thanks @Happi
Best,
Brian
Hi Brian,

we usually add Ca and Mg during water changes, especially for those who use RO water. If you suspect that your tap water is low on Mg, which is very possible then you can start adding the Mg during water changes. you can post your water report and we can take a look at it. @dw1305 could help you on your water report as he is familiar with most of the Areas.

Hi all,
you can post your water report and we can take a look at it. @dw1305 could help you on your water report as he is familiar with most of the Areas.
In this case I don't actually need Brian's (@Mitchabbots) water report, mainly because he only lives about 10 miles away from me and we both get <"Wessex Water">.

There will be relatively little magnesium (Mg) in the tap water, particularly in relation to the amount of calcium (Ca), and the tap water will be hard and alkaline <"Some handy facts about water">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks @Happi and Darrel (@dw1305 )
Seems I've jumped the gun a bit, as I have already bought Sodium Free TEC. :meh: As per @Cazza 's mix.
This being the case, how should I mitigate against the low Fe? (Hopefully this is less than £17.80 for a 1kg bag from Solufeed)

I've also picked up some surprisingly cheap Epsom Salts from Tesco (100% Mg Sulphate - with no added stinky stuff etc.).
Is Mg at 3.5ppm the right level at water change?

Thanks guys, Brian

Last edited:
Darrel (@dw1305),
Perfect. Thanks again.
Best, Brian

Hi Everyone,

Using RODI water to fill the tank and remineralising it using IFC Calc then going to be using the recipe 1 with Solufeed Tec Sodium Free and also 2:1:4 now links to 2:1:4 high K presume it's the same stuff.

I think I've worked it out at 46.73g of Solufeed 2:1:4 and 8.48g of Solufeed Tec Sodium Free in a 450ml bottle (This is the dosing bottle size I have on the dosing unit) 20ml of the solution for a 280l system x 3 times per week and adjust iron if necessary.

Does this look right to everyone?

@Happi if the above is right would dosing at lights on be the best time to dose the water column? Am I better off dosing a small amount of iron as well, the above is a macro and micro mix or have I missed something?

Bottles are stored in the dark.

Cheers in advance

I think I've worked it out at 46.73g of Solufeed 2:1:4 and 8.48g of Solufeed Tec Sodium Free in a 450ml bottle (This is the dosing bottle size I have on the dosing unit) 20ml of the solution for a 280l system x 3 times per week and adjust iron if necessary.
@Happi if the above is right would dosing at lights on be the best time to dose the water column? Am I better off dosing a small amount of iron as well, the above is a macro and micro mix or have I missed something?
seems about right 46.67 gram Solufeed 2:1:4 and 8.47 gram Solufeed Tec Sodium Free

additional Iron isn't really needed unless you have this issue #153 and plus the original recipe Mix was created to ensure that there are good amount of nutrients present in the water.

in general, best time to dose liquid fertilizer is when lights and co2 has been running for 2 hours minimum. but you can dose it however you see fit.

Back